tree cricket still around

Michel

Nov 14, 2021, 10:25:04 PM11/14/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
one has been hanging out at my house.  Tried to get a photo; attached is my attempt - the hand image is someone inside holding up a piece of paper to minimize reflection..

 cricket 001.JPG

Don Boucher

Nov 14, 2021, 10:56:20 PM11/14/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Michel,

What a nice find! This is some kind of katydid. Tree Crickets have proportionally smaller heads, longer, thinner thoraxes and males have clear wings with broad ends. Like the common Riley's Tree Cricket (https://bugguide.net/node/view/234435/bgimage). I have heard just a few tree crickets sing lately, probably due to the warm weather. I'm not sure which katydid this but you did try the best you could to get a photo. If you get a better look sometime, consider one of these species that looks similar to what you have:

Mediterranean Katydid (Phaneroptera nana). Uncommon and small.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/38733/bgimage

Fork-tailed Bush Katydid (Scudderia furcata) Native and common in fall.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/18847/bgimage

-Don Boucher

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 7:25 PM Michel <mls...@msn.com> wrote:
one has been hanging out at my house.  Tried to get a photo; attached is my attempt - the hand image is someone inside holding up a piece of paper to minimize reflection..

 cricket 001.JPG

Michel

Nov 15, 2021, 12:01:29 AM11/15/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hi, thanks for the correction!  I went back and found it and looked at it under a magnifying glass and it definitely has speckling that what I read is on Mediterranean.  It is a female though the 1st photo does not show the ovipositor.  It hopped to the side of the house and I got another photo (again not good at all) - but there it is.  Does it look like Mediterranean to you?
cricket 2 003.JPG

Lisa Millbank

Nov 15, 2021, 2:10:13 AM11/15/21
to Michel, Mid-Valley Nature
If you observed speckling on the body, I think Mediterranean Katydid (also called Southern Sickle-bearing Bush-Cricket) is definitely the right species.  It's hard to determine size from a photo, but this species is considerably smaller than the Fork-tailed Bush Katydid, and the Fork-tail's ovipositor is almost always brown (looks like a flat cashew).  Another thing is that the Mediterranean's hindwings stick way out, 8-9mm beyond the ends of the forewings, where the Fork-tail's hindwings only project a short way past the forewings.  That's interesting that you found one; I haven't ever seen this species around Corvallis.

Lisa Millbank

Bill Gerth

Nov 15, 2021, 9:38:25 AM11/15/21
to Lisa Millbank, Michel, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Michel,

Yep, I agree with you and Lisa. Looks like a Mediterranean katydid to me too. I found one of them in Corvallis last year in October, and I see on bugguide that others have also seen them in the past few years in Portland.

Cheers,
Bill

Nancy Betty Baumeister

Nov 15, 2021, 1:08:43 PM11/15/21
to Bill Gerth, Lisa Millbank, Michel, Mid-Valley Nature
Michel, perhaps you’d consider adding it to INaturalist. That will help track the occurrence.

Nancy (Betty) Bee

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 9:01 PM Michel <mls...@msn.com> wrote:
Hi, thanks for the correction!  I went back and found it and looked at it under a magnifying glass and it definitely has speckling that what I read is on Mediterranean.  It is a female though the 1st photo does not show the ovipositor.  It hopped to the side of the house and I got another photo (again not good at all) - but there it is.  Does it look like Mediterranean to you?

Tanya Lasswell

Nov 15, 2021, 2:49:31 PM11/15/21
to Michel, Mid-Valley Nature
Just to up the species list for that day - I happened to find a Drumming Katydid (also exotic) that same day on my boot. Looks like they enjoyed the warm temps!
IMG_20211114_093244.jpg

The last tree cricket we found in late October, hanging out on a grape harvest on the deck, and a fork-tailed katydid in the front bushes in mid-October.

Tanya

Michel

Nov 15, 2021, 2:53:38 PM11/15/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Nancy suggested listing this on iNaturalist, which I am not "on" so if someone else wants to do that, it was spotted in NE Salem.

Mark Nikas

Nov 15, 2021, 4:18:14 PM11/15/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
I'll pitch in on the recent spate of crickets and katydids.  This Snowy Tree Cricket was at my home during the recent warm spell.

Mark Nikas

2.JPG