Signs of Spring

Shawn & Paul Jacobsen

Mar 16, 2023, 1:47:09 PM3/16/23
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
We went for a walk at Bald Hill today, choosing to do our usual route, which is do a loop from the Oak Creek Drive parking lot onto the gravel path immediately to the right, out through the fields which eventually brings us past the barn, to the paved path and back to the parking lot.  On the way, in the woodsy section where we crossed Mulkey Creek we saw the first blooms of Indian Plum.

When we then approached the part of the trail where there are woods coming down from Bald Hill on the right, with the off-leash area to the left, we found fresh bark chips on the ground.  I hadn't seen these yesterday when I walked the same route.  Looking up, we noticed that the bark had been stripped from a few hardwoods, up high on the trees.  By all appearances, only the bark had been removed.  I looked for but did not notice holes in the trees, which I thought I would see from woodpeckers seeking insects.  Perhaps a squirrel pulled off the bark, but why?  The pieces on the ground were all similar in size and shape - roughly 1 x 3 inch, or maybe even a bit smaller.  I wish I had taken pics.

Back at home I heard and saw a red-winged blackbird calling high in a douglas fir.

Yesterday I saw two turkey vultures over our house.

Paul
Just north of Bald Hill, Corvallis

Shawn & Paul Jacobsen

Mar 16, 2023, 2:40:17 PM3/16/23
to Jim Fairchild, mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Yes Jim,

I think you have it.  This makes sense.

Thanks!

Get Outlook for Android

Mar 16, 2023, 2:51:56 PM3/16/23
to Shawn, Jim Fairchild, mid-valley-nature
Like these found under a Doug-fir tree in our yard this morning.

Randy (and Pam)