Big evening flight of Violet-green Swallows and a Vaux's Swift north of Corvallis

Joel Geier

Oct 10, 2021, 9:59:41 PM10/10/21
to Oregon Birders OnLine, Mid-Valley Nature, Alan Contreras
Outside just now I happened to look up to see many dozens of swallows overhead, at least 50 total, foraging from about 100 ft up to perhaps 300 ft above the landscape. Just going by shape and proportions (as they were silhouetted against the clouds) they all looked like Violet-green Swallows.

I briefly saw a swift among them, which (again) going by sillhouette, looked like a Vaux's Swift. Getting late for those, I think. Location is along the east side of Tampico Ridge, about 10 miles north of Corvallis.

For Alan Contreras' "next Oregon species" challenge, I'd like to submit entries for:
5. Silhouetted Swallow
4. Shadowy Swift
3. Grungy Grouse (still awaiting recognition as a full species, but I have high hopes for justice from the AOU or whatever they call themselves nowadays)
After that I hope to see:
2. Greater Black-backed Gull, (since the state rare-bird committee didn't think my previous report of an ordinary Great Black-backed Gull had sufficient details).
Then just as back-up:
1. Even Greater Black-backed Gull (just trying to think big here).

Happy expectations,
Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis, where we actually have more serious bird conservation issues, to be shared on BOO