Could this be an owl pellet? It's about 3 inches long. If yes, any idea what kind? Found in back yard; here in urban Salem, we do get some Barred and GH Owls.

Michel

Apr 12, 2021, 7:56:38 PM4/12/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
pellet 002.JPG

Don Boucher

Apr 13, 2021, 4:04:38 PM4/13/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Michel,

My hunch is that it's not an owl pellet. It looks more like scat with a clump of fur on one end. Owl pellets tend to have mostly fur, bones and/or feathers and their shafts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet_(ornithology)#/media/File:Pelotes_r%C3%A9jection_Asio_Otus.jpg

Without any location context or more samples it's hard to say for sure. It does look segmented like feline scat.

Don Boucher

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 4:56 PM Michel <mls...@msn.com> wrote:
pellet 002.JPG