Replacing the Jackson-Frazier boardwalk

Don Boucher

Mar 9, 2023, 11:36:54 PM3/9/23
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com, Hays, Phil
Hello Mid-Valley Nature lovers. If you've been to Jackson-Frazier Wetland recently, you've probably realized the boardwalk is pretty worn out.

I got an email from Phil Hays from AFRANA and he says that Benton County and AFRANA want to move forward with plans to replace the boardwalk at Jackson-Frazier Wetland. So they're initiating a fundraising campaign.

Phil told me:
"We have raised $1.2 million so far, but It looks like we will need to raise another $1.5 million. Some of that will be matching funds for restoration grants to repair the damage from the boardwalk construction. There will be some changes to the existing route, but it will be about the same."

There are more details about material options they've considered. From what I've been told, it looks like they're doing their homework on balancing what's durable, environmentally compatible and safe. I can forward some of the discussion I had with Phil or you can email him directly about the project or see more info below.

I remember being on a work party in 1997 to help construct the original boardwalk. That was a long time ago.

Here's where you can go to contribute:

-Don Boucher
NE Corvallis