Hummingbird feeders & upcoming winter weather

Don Boucher

Feb 22, 2023, 8:24:30 PM2/22/23
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

With snow and overnight temperatures in the teens in the forecast, we've made some modifications to our exposed hummingbird feeders. Just as any night that gets below 28F, make sure you have thawed nectar out a half hour before sunrise. For late February, sunrise in Corvallis is about 7 AM, so that means by 6:30 AM.

I also made covers to shield our exposed feeders from snow accumulation. I cut panels from plastic gallon jugs and made roof-like structures hinged with packing tape. I punched holes for twist ties and string where needed.

-Don Boucher
NE Corvallis
Hummingbird feeder weather cover 20230222 (4).jpg
Hummingbird feeder weather cover 20230222 (2).jpg
Hummingbird feeder weather cover 20230222 (1).jpg
Hummingbird feeder weather cover 20230222 (5).jpg