Halo 2 for Vista Live Gaming on Windows failed to initialize

Cksoccer24

May 10, 2008, 10:51:00 AM5/10/08
When I try to start Halo 2 for vista, on my Vista home preminum laptop that
meets all requirments, I get this error message

Live Gaming on Windows failed to initialize. This may be because another
LIVE Gaming on Windows application (such as the Halo 2 dedicated server) is
running on the same machine. Otherwise, reinstalling the game may fix this
problem."

Then the game closes. I am in need of desperate help. Thanks.

jkohut

Jul 12, 2008, 2:38:00 PM7/12/08
I may have a solution for this if you never found one. I received this same
message after installing the latest update for Halo 2 from Halo 2 site. To
fix it, I also had to install the second most recent update (something about
"Live" update). Apparently MS did not do a good job of creating updates or
detecting dependencies when the made the update. As soon as I install the
previous update and then reinstalled the latest update, it corrected the
problem.
Good Luck.

Quickdraw

Nov 5, 2008, 8:03:01 PM11/5/08

"jkohut" wrote:

I tried this and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

RocketSurgeon

Dec 26, 2008, 9:58:01 PM12/26/08
I had a similar problem, but, after a lot of trial and error, got everything
to work eventually.

Here's what worked for me:

1) Be sure you have uninstalled both Halo 2 AND Windows LIVE. (I tried
reinstalling Halo 2 twice and got the same error UNTIL I figured out it was
LIVE causing the problem.)

2) Reinstall Halo 2 from scratch. I did this as a complete custom
installation followed by a quit, to be on the safe side.

3) Start up Halo 2 normally. Be sure to follow ALL of the LIVE setup
prompts exactly.

4) At some point in here LIVE will want to update itself. Follow the
prompts and let it do this.

5) Following the LIVE updating, restart Halo 2 and login to LIVE. You
should get an option to update Halo 2 automatically. Do so. Once you done
this, you should be good to go.

n.b. I think the root cause of the problem was when I did my intial install
as a "play while you install" setup. Somewhere in there I bailed without
properly setting up LIVE. I then tried to install the Halo 2 patch manually
over the still un-updated LIVE setup. When I uninstalled and reinstalled
Halo 2 (only) I got the "LIVE gaming failed to initialize" error message
every time. Uninstalling LIVE, then reinstalling Halo 2 fixed this.

Best of luck.

Gotenks

Aug 3, 2009, 3:36:01 PM8/3/09
Reinstall the current software

1. Visit the following Web site:

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Support/Pages/technicalIssuesGuide.aspx
(http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Support/Pages/technicalIssuesGuide.aspx)
2. Click Download the latest Update.
3. Download the file to your desktop.
4. When the download is complete, double-click the executable file, and
then follow directions on your screen.
5. When the installation is complete, close all programs.
6. Try to start the game again.

Gotenks

Aug 4, 2009, 11:54:01 AM8/4/09

Mike Brannigan

Aug 5, 2009, 7:25:48 AM8/5/09
"Gotenks" <Got...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The "page" is irrelevant as this is a Halo - XBOX newsgroup not a PC Games
one (the clue is in the group title - microsoft.public.XBOX.halo)
Please repost to a more appropriate newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

--

Mike Brannigan

shaammy

Aug 17, 2009, 4:53:06 AM8/17/09

shaammy

Aug 17, 2009, 4:56:01 AM8/17/09
For those having problems with Windows 7 and halo 2 getting the above see my
post at
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/a9e029e0-197a-4e9c-8d2d-f4a08ec2e0ec

Basically on vista with SP2 it doesn't install windows live version 1.0 so
you have to install it manually. I have copied a paragraph from my other post
which works for vista as I got the same error message in vista as well as
Windows 7.

So where does it leave Windows 7 users and Halo 2 for now. Well install Halo
2 as your FIRST windows Live game and then install windows live manually from
the dvd it's under the redists folder and named XLiveRedist1.0.6027.msi BTW
this will work for vista as well. Whatever you do don't install the windows
live 3.0 redist like I did. After running Halo for the first time and it
updating to version 3.0 of live you can install your other live games and
they will work fine.

Hope that helps someone.

ffink

Nov 20, 2009, 5:21:02 PM11/20/09
ok i had Windows XP for the past several years and i got Halo 2 for Vista so
i couldnt install it. But I just got a new computer with Windows 7 with a
desent graphics card, ATI Raedon 4680, and so I was trying to install Halo 2
but its gave the-

"Live Gaming on Windows failed to initialize. This may be because another
LIVE Gaming on Windows application (such as the Halo 2 dedicated server) is
running on the same machine. Otherwise, reinstalling the game may fix this
problem."

so i have read this discussion over and over, and did what its says but it
still seems not to be working. I dont really know what you guys are talking
about but could you please SPELL OUT EXACTLY what i have to do to get my Halo
2 for Vista to work on Windows 7? All i know is that it has to do with
Windows LIVE or someting....
PLEASE HELP ME! Thankyou

Chad

Nov 22, 2009, 1:03:02 PM11/22/09

I am running Windows 7 x64 on my M17x Alienware laptop. The game itself
worked fine for about a week after upgrading to 7 from Vista. Then I started
getting the same error. I tried everything, but nothing seemed to work. Then
I did this:

-Uninstalled both Halo 2 Vista (as well as Map Editor/Dedicated Server) and
Live Gaming for Windows.
-Went to Registry Editor(regedit.exe) and deleted anything Live and Halo 2
related. This includes Live Gaming and XLive registry values.
-Reinstalled Halo 2 Vista
-Got the same error
-Solution found in Problem Center that may fix this error.
-Installed Live Gaming 3.0?
-No more error, but Halo 2 Vista now crashed on boot (stopped interacting
with Windows).
-Restarted computer
-Works again! It will ask you to update Live Gaming again and install any
updates Halo 2 asks for. Hope that helps anyone, as I don't know why it
worked like this when it hasn't for quite some time.

Anangryasian

Nov 23, 2009, 12:59:01 AM11/23/09
Can someone please list a surefire way to solve this problem? After reading
this article a couple times, i found at least 3 different methods all
claiming to work. IF you have a method that might work can you please give
DETAILED STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS to us? Dont just say "deleted everything
live related" give us specific files that you deleted so we dont screw up our
brand new laptop!

Anangryasian

Nov 23, 2009, 1:33:02 AM11/23/09

how did u uninstall live? thanks for actually listing out instructions by the
way

ffink

Nov 23, 2009, 8:20:01 PM11/23/09
i did exactly what you said and i still get that error-

Live Gaming on Windows failed to initialize. This may be because another
LIVE Gaming on Windows application (such as the Halo 2 dedicated server) is
running on the same machine. Otherwise, reinstalling the game may fix this
problem.
can anyone else please spell out EXACTLY what to do to fix this problem. i
have tried countless times with this forum help and on my own and i still
cant fix it. please help

Anangryasian

Nov 24, 2009, 1:52:01 AM11/24/09

In the above instructions, you reinstalled the windows 7 operating system.
Some of us cannot afford to do that because we have valuable data on our
computer that cannot be deleted or because the computer came built in with
windows 7 and without the CD.

There has to be a way around this without uprooting the whole computer

Any help is greatly appreciated

BLap

Dec 3, 2009, 12:05:01 AM12/3/09
Steps below fixed it for me. I'm running Halo 2 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Got it from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/941208

Step 1: Rename the Catroot2 folder
Rename the Catroot2 folder, and then try to start the program again.
Important Make sure that you do not rename the Catroot folder. Windows
automatically re-creates the Catroot2 folder after you rename it. However,
Windows does not re-create the Catroot folder if you rename it.
To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator
rights.
2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop cryptsvc
4. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2_renamed
5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net start cryptsvc

DigitalMonkeys

Dec 13, 2009, 12:04:01 PM12/13/09
I tried several changes that were listed all over the net, couldn't find help
on the microsoft site until I read the post below, which worked for me with
the following changes.

I have Win7 and can't find the "run" command, so I opened a dos (command
prompt) window (located in my "Accessories" folder on the start menu) and
typed in the stuff it says to, but access was denied. I don't know why it
was denied since I am set as the administrator. So instead I did the
following:

I typed in "services.msc" in the dos prompt window and waited for new window
to open, took about 60 seconds, be patient. In the new window I scrolled
down to "Cryptographic Service" and double-clicked it, which opened yet
another new window. In the new window I clicked "stop" and "ok". I then
used the "search" command while exploring my hard drive and searched my hard
drive for the Catroot2 folder, right-clicked on it, selected "rename" and
renamed it "Catroot2_renamed". I went back to the "Services" window that was
still up, scrolled back down to "Cryptographic Services" double clicked it,
clicked "Start" and made sure that under "Startup type:" selected was
"Automatic". I clicked "ok" and closed all windows. Halo 2 started right up.

It took me hours to find this fix. I was about to chuck my new quad core,
8gig of ram pc out the window. If anyone has questions about this fix feel
free to email me at digital...@msn.com. It looks like other people have
tried this fix and it did not work. Again I was running Win7. I also made
sure I had the newest version of Games for Windows Live installed and that
all the Windows updated were installed. Games for Windows Live can be found
here: http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/index.aspx.

tapestry@discussions.microsoft.com chloric tapestry

Dec 28, 2009, 9:41:01 PM12/28/09
where do you find the registry folder(regedit.exe)

Jeff Woiton

Jan 19, 2010, 9:12:01 PM1/19/10
Same here, one would think that if it works under Vista it would work under
Win7 as well. But nothing I've tried, including every suggestion on this
page, works. Reinstalling the OS is not the way to fix a broken game, and
neither is going through the registry. Even though it only affects a few
hundred thousand users, MSFT should do the right thing and create a hotfix
for this. It's not like them to make a release that's only good for one OS
version (not to mention, an OS that most people hated).
--
Jeff Woiton

JCJG

Mar 14, 2010, 2:42:49 PM3/14/10
To get regedit type into "Run" on windows
regedit

"chloric tapestry" <chloric tape...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B98549EE-8832-4E29...@microsoft.com...

timon

Apr 25, 2010, 9:44:01 AM4/25/10

I had this problem too, but I found a video guide that helped me and it works
again!

check (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZO2-0ZN4ZA)
I hope it works for you too, what is your xboxlive tag? add pkerT0

I hope till soon,
pkerT0

devhook32

Apr 28, 2010, 4:31:01 PM4/28/10
I FOUND THE FIX!! ok i installed the game on windows 7 ultimate, and got the
same error. i followed Rocketsurgeon's instructions, and tried to run halo..
while still getting the error, the windows solution center found a problem,
and downloaded the live gaming app, which functioned properly, and i ran halo
with no problem.. be sure to restart your computer after the update, though.

Sparrow356

May 13, 2010, 3:28:01 PM5/13/10

"ffink" wrote:

did you delete files like "Windows.Live.photo
gallery"?or"Microsoft.photos.Live slide show or...."Live call or Live
script"?or"Microsoft updates and stuff..things LIVE and Halo 2 related like
everything that has LIVE in it or Live in it or just things that you'd think
you've installed?

Sparrow356

May 13, 2010, 3:52:01 PM5/13/10

"ffink" wrote:

oh and did you delete windows live essentials?

to reinstall then restart your compu@discussions.microsoft.com try to reinstall then restart your compu

May 28, 2010, 6:51:01 AM5/28/10

ricoaranojo...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2013, 9:50:17 PM8/6/13
Recientemente estoy descargando Halo 2; se instala y todo va a la perfección, pero al ejecutar me marca error... Ya hasta viene crackeado y todo.

Resulta que me aparece este error, y me cambia la resolución de pantalla.
Primero creí que era la PC windows 7 home premium que era la compatibilidad.
Busqué en youtube y que tenía que mover dos registros .dll (MFplat.dll) y otro (wmap.dll) a mis documentos ya intenté con varios sitios web y los mismísimos tutoriales.

EN RESUMEN NO HAY EFECTO...

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWPIsaX-8uo
.http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_164962&feature=iv&src_vid=bCjF1aCUjrE&v=2w5QaXMJiUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3gaRjfF-I (ESTE BATO ME CONVENCIÓ UN POCO, Y SEGUÍ SUS REGLAS DE ACUERDO AL TUTORIAL Y NO LLEGUÉ A UNA SOLUCIÓN

ricoaranojo...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2013, 9:52:42 PM8/6/13
Recently I downloaded Halo 2, is installed and everything goes perfectly, but when running I mark errors ... It even comes cracked and all.

Turns out I get this error, and I change the screen resolution.
First I thought it was the PC windows 7 home premium which was compatibility.
I searched youtube and I had to move two records. Dll (MFPLAT.dll) and another (wmap.dll) to my documents and tried with various websites and the very tutorials.

IN SUMMARY NO EFFECT ...

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWPIsaX-8uo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3gaRjfF-I (BATO THIS SOME convinced me, AND FOLLOWED THEIR RULES TO THE TUTORIAL AND NO I CAME TO A SOLUTION