Microsoft Works 4.5a "Out of Memory" when printing.

Eddie Powell

Sep 12, 2003, 12:45:50 PM9/12/03
Can someone tell me if Microsoft Works 4.5a will work on
XP? I received an error "Out of Memory" each time I try
to print to an HP 5L printer. I have no problems printing
when I print a document using Microsoft Word (Office
2000). The error only occures in Microsoft Works. If
anyone can assist I would surely appreciate it!
Eddie Powell
epowe...@sbcglobal.net

Kevin James - MSMVP Works

Sep 12, 2003, 2:00:35 PM9/12/03
Hi Eddie,

Works 4.5 works well with Windows XP.

The error message you are receiving is likely to be an issue
between Works and the printer driver.

Perhaps download the latest printer driver available from the
manufacturer's web site.

HTH,
---
Kevin James.
Tua'r Goleuni
Microsoft MVP - Works 1999-2003
Works FAQ @ http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.james1/WorksFAQ.htm

"Eddie Powell" <epowe...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Norm Weiser

Sep 17, 2003, 1:36:04 PM9/17/03
Eddie, I was having the same problem with the only
database I had in Works 6.0 when I wanted to print-
preview: that "Out of Memory" box popped up and did not
in any other application. I reinstalled my HP Laserjet 4P
printer and updated my printer driver and it still
happened. (It had not happened before, as a consequence
of an earlier problem, I had to reformat my hard drive
and reinstall XP Home and everything else.) Then, as
advised by Kevin at the MS Newsgroup site and one of the
folks at the HP website's newsgroup, to try emulating my
printer, I emulated my printer by choosing another HP 4-
series printer on the XP dropdown list and installed it,
with its accompanying driver, and made this "new" and
actually nonexistent HP LJ 4Plus printer my default.
Result: NO PROBLEM!

Others -- LIKE YOU -- with the same out-of-memory problem
and using different HP printers were given the same
advice -- they emulated their printers and it worked for
them.

I should say that the techies at Dell (I have a Dell
8200) were of no help whatsoever, despite the awards for
service and support that Dell consistently wins: they
suggested I increase the virtual page size, reinstall
Works, do a repair-reinstall of XP Home, and if none of
these worked, I should reformat my hard drive and
reinstall XP Home (and thus everything else I had on my
computer!). I stopped before trying the repair-reinstall,
and so the solution that worked was much simpler than the
rest of the ideas Dell suggested

Why does Dell continue to win awards for support when
their support people can't solve problems -- each
successive techie I dealt with assured me he/she had read
all my previous correspondence, when what they said
proved they had not, but ignored the advice of the
previous techie and gave me a totally different solution
that was as unsuccessful as the previous one! -- and are
unable to write clear, correctly spelled, grammatical
English?

>.

Brian Tillman

Sep 18, 2003, 9:47:52 AM9/18/03
>Why does Dell continue to win awards for support when
>their support people can't solve problems

So, did you post your solution in the Dell online forums? How are the Dell
technicians supposed to know or find out about some obscure problem with an
old HP inkjet driver they didn't write and they didn't install, or a problem
with a Microsoft program that they had nothing to do with, unless you inform
them of the work-around?
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace