Cannot open WDB files unless starting Works Database program

Gerard Peet

Dec 6, 2007, 4:16:04 PM12/6/07
Having bought a new computer with Windows Vista, I installed Works 8.5 from a
CD Rom I legally bought from someone who had never installed/used it.

When doubleclicking on a Works Spreadsheet file (extension .xlr) the
spreadsheet program opens normally. However when doubleclicking on a Works
Database file (extension .wdb), nothing happens. Windows Vista opens a small
window with Standard Programs to choose from, but this does not include MS
Works. By browsing, the works database program can easily be found, but when
it is entered and opened, the program does not open. Instead, the small
window with standard programs pops up again, still without the MS Works
Database program.

I can only open WDB files by starting up the MS Works Database program. I
must then indicate that I want to open an existing file, and next I can click
on the desired WDB-file. However, opening from the file is much easier, and
on my old Windows Me computer this worked very well, also for the Database
function.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Michael Santovec

Dec 6, 2007, 4:25:44 PM12/6/07
Sounds like the file association for WDB files isn't correct.

This is what I have for Work 6 on Windows XP for WDB files:

Application action:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksDB.exe" "%1"

Use DDE: Checked

Application:
WksDB

Topic:
System

See the Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File Associations
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm#identify

"Gerard Peet" <gerardpee...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

Gerard Peet

Dec 6, 2007, 6:03:01 PM12/6/07
Thanks. However this does not help me further, unfortunately.
How/where can I find "Application action" for WDB-files on Windows Vista?
Also: "My Computer" is different for Windows Vista. The tutorial page you
refer to, does not mention Windows Vista. "My Computer" in Windows Vista
shows no trace of View Menu, Options, File Types.
Nevertheless many thanks for having tried to help me!
Gerard Peet, Hilversum, Holland

Michael Santovec

Dec 7, 2007, 10:44:23 PM12/7/07
I've never used Vista, so I'm not familiar with how it differs from
Windows XP.

I found this

How do I... Change file extension associations in Windows Vista?
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6172036.html

"Gerard Peet" <gerardpee...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

Gerard Peet

Dec 8, 2007, 3:30:02 PM12/8/07
Thanks Michael for your reference to a webpage text about the Windows Vista
options (1.) Set your default programs, and (2.) Associate a file type or
product with a program. I already knew these options and had found out that
they don't work for MS Works Database.
As the webpage text already mentions, the list of Standard programs shown in
Option 1 is incomplete, and nothing can be added to it. Not only Adobe
Acrobat Reader is missing, but also the MS Works Database program.
Option 2 includes the .wdb extension ("Unknown application" !!). Just like
the procedure you enter when trying to open a wdb-file by doubleclicking on
it), I can browse to the MS Works Data base program, but if this is selected,
nothing happens, this program is not accepted as a program to be used for
opening the file. It is possible however to link the .wdb extention to the
Works Spreadsheet program, but unfortanately that program cannot open .wdb
files!

Brent

Dec 8, 2007, 5:25:23 PM12/8/07
Assuming you installed Works in the default location, simply merge the
attached file into your registry. Otherwise, you will first have to
edit the file to reflect your installation location.

This is for Works 9 on Vista, but as you can see, Works database hasn’t
changed since version 4, so it should work fine. If it doesn’t, I see
no alternative short of reinstallation, which may not be a bad idea
anyway.

"Gerard Peet" <gerardpee...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

WorksDB.reg

Brent

Dec 8, 2007, 5:38:55 PM12/8/07
If the previous registry fix doesn’t work, try this one. I failed to
consider that your registry entries may not be merely missing, but
corrupted. This attached file deletes the existing registry entries
before merging the correct data.

"Brent" <undefined> wrote in message

WorksDBFix.reg