Restoring default blank page

Don Begezda

Feb 9, 2008, 5:34:53 PM2/9/08
Hello,
I was working with a document in Word 2003. I created a grid pattern on the
entire page but was never able to print out the gridwork on the paper.
That's one problem. But my main problem is that somehow I've saved this as
my blank page. Everytime I open a blank page the gridword shows up. How do I
restore my blank page back to it's default blank look?

TIA
Don

askteam

Feb 10, 2008, 5:38:33 AM2/10/08
I think it is because of template.

You can try this..
Find ways to copy a normal.dot, which is a standard template file for
every copy of MS Word, from other PCs.
and Replace it

What is Template in MS Word?
http://www.soi12.com/office/story.php?title=Understand_powerful_under-utilized_capacity_of_template-Dot

c.fi...@sbcglobal.net

Feb 10, 2008, 5:58:30 AM2/10/08

Your blank page template is "Normal.dot".

Don Begezda

Feb 10, 2008, 1:34:18 PM2/10/08
I renamed normal.dot. Then reopened MS Word 2003. The same grid came up.
Then I deleted all the files in the folder that contained the normal.dot
file. Again I opened MS Word and the darn grid sheet opened up.
Any suggestions?

TIA,
Don
<c.fi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
: On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:38:33 -0800 (PST), askteam

Carol

Feb 10, 2008, 10:02:15 PM2/10/08
On Feb 10, 1:34 pm, "Don Begezda" <don.bege...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I renamed normal.dot. Then reopened MS Word 2003. The same grid came up.
> Then I deleted all the files in the folder that contained the normal.dot
> file. Again I opened MS Word and the darn grid sheet opened up.
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Don<c.fied...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> : On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:38:33 -0800 (PST), askteam: <askteam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> :
> : >I think it is because of template.
> : >
> : >You can try this..
> : >Find ways to copy a normal.dot, which is a standard template file for
> : >every copy of MS Word, from other PCs.
> : >and Replace it
> : >
> : >What is Template in MS Word?
> :
>  >http://www.soi12.com/office/story.php?title=Understand_powerful_under...

> :
> : Your blank page template is "Normal.dot".

The blank document that you start with when you open MS Word (Document
1) and all the documents that you create by pressing the New button on
the Standard toolbar or by choosing Blank Document in the File | New
dialog are based upon the Normal.dot template, that also stores most
of your customizations, such as changes to styles or your toolbars.
If you change a style in Normal.dot, such as your default font or if
you change the margins or page size, that will affect every blank
document that you create from that point forward. If you save text in
your Normal.dot, that text will appear in every blank document that
you create.
Long story short, you have somehow saved your Normal.dot with the
gridfunction turned on.
The simplest fix is to clean up your Normal.dot.
In Windows Explorer, press CTRL + F, and search for Normal.dot. Or
select Start | Find | Files or folders and search for Normal.dot. In
Windows XP, the folder that contains the Normal.dot is a hidden
folder. In order to find Normal.dot, you will need to go to Tools |
Folder Options and select the View tab and check the radio button for
Show hidden files and folders.
Depending on your settings in Windows Explorer, the search results may
not display the .dot file extension, but may only show the word
Normal. Once you have found the it, do NOT click on the file as it
will only create a new document based on the template.
Instead, right-click the file and select Open. Once you have opened
it, open your Drawing Toolbar and click on the drop-down arrow next to
draw and select Grid. Then deselect Show gridlines on screen, save the
file and close it. You should then no longer have the grid showing in
your new documents in MS.
I hope that this information proves helpful to you!
http://www.carolscorneroffice.com

Don Begezda

Feb 11, 2008, 11:20:13 AM2/11/08
Thanks,
That did the trick.
Don
"Carol" <carol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The Horny Goat

Feb 17, 2008, 8:17:39 PM2/17/08
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:20:13 GMT, "Don Begezda"
<don.b...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Depending on your settings in Windows Explorer, the search results may
>not display the .dot file extension, but may only show the word
>Normal. Once you have found the it, do NOT click on the file as it
>will only create a new document based on the template.
>Instead, right-click the file and select Open. Once you have opened
>it, open your Drawing Toolbar and click on the drop-down arrow next to
>draw and select Grid. Then deselect Show gridlines on screen, save the
>file and close it. You should then no longer have the grid showing in
>your new documents in MS.
>I hope that this information proves helpful to you!
>http://www.carolscorneroffice.com

Worst case scenario if normal.dot is completely bollixed up is simply
to delete normal.dot - Word will then create a new default normal.dot
file.

Been there done that.

Carol

Feb 21, 2008, 9:05:08 AM2/21/08
On Feb 17, 8:17 pm, The Horny Goat <lcra...@home.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:20:13 GMT, "Don Begezda"

The only problem with this scenario is that you will then lose all
your customizations.