formatting and spellcheck in locked forms

CEV

Jan 14, 2008, 5:46:40 PM1/14/08
We have a few forms I created in Word. We are currently using Word 2003.
There are some check boxes, combo boxes, and text boxes. We protect the
document so that users can fill in the form. When protected though, the
spell check is lost and we are also not able to use any formatting tools
such as bold, the ability to change font and size, and use bullets. How can
these options be made available for protected forms?

Thank You,

CEV

Jay Freedman

Jan 14, 2008, 9:27:54 PM1/14/08

For the spell check, you need the macro in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm.

Word's form fields don't support font formatting. The closest you can come to
that is to insert section breaks before and after a paragraph, and mark the
section between the breaks as unprotected. To do that, click Tools > Protect
Document and, in the task pane, select "Filling in forms" and then click the
"Select sections" link that appears below it. Uncheck the section between the
breaks.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CEV

Jan 16, 2008, 12:44:27 PM1/16/08
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. I've never worked section breaks
before.

CEV

"Jay Freedman" <jay.fr...@verizon.net> wrote in message

CEV

Jan 21, 2008, 4:40:09 PM1/21/08
OK, I was able to implement the section breaks. And I'm able to change
fonts, bold, etc., but am not able to use bullets in these unprotected
section breaks. Is there a reason for this or is there something else I need
to do?

Thanks,

CEV

Jay Freedman

Jan 21, 2008, 4:53:27 PM1/21/08
I don't know what the problem is. Using bullets in an unprotected section of
a mixed form works ok here. Can you do it by applying the List Bullet style?

CEV

Jan 21, 2008, 5:54:36 PM1/21/08
I'm using Office 2007 and it does not work. I just tested on a machine with
Office 2003 and it does work, however borders and shading does not work. I
suppose it's possible that some options will just not work?

Thanks,

CEV

"Jay Freedman" <jay.fr...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Jay Freedman

Jan 21, 2008, 8:50:44 PM1/21/08
In your original post you said you were using Word 2003. The two versions indeed
behave differently.

Word 2007 does prevent applying bullets to unprotected text through the Bullet
button or any of the List Bullet styles. I have no idea why that is -- it looks
like a bug to me.

In Word 2003 the Format > Borders & Shading menu item is disabled in the
unprotected section, but the feature still works and can be invoked by a macro.
The idea is similar to the spell-checking macro I pointed to, but much simpler:
the macro is only

Sub BordersShading()
Dialogs(wdDialogFormatBordersAndShading).Show
End Sub

Assign it to a custom toolbar button or a keyboard shortcut.

And yes, there are features that just won't work.

TPD600

Feb 6, 2008, 3:13:03 PM2/6/08
I have gone to the website stated in this message, but for some reason, I can
not get the Macro to work for me. Is there anyone who would be willing to
look at my form and tell me what I am doing wrong. I would GREATLY
appreciate it.

Thank you.

Graham Mayor

Feb 7, 2008, 2:51:01 AM2/7/08
The code to lock/unlock forms is straightforward. Add the document password
(if any) between the quotes in both lines that contain
Password:=""

Dim oFld As FormFields
Dim bProtected As Boolean
Set oFld = ActiveDocument.FormFields

'Unprotect the file
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
bProtected = True
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=""
End If

'Do your thing with the document here

'Reprotect the document.
If bProtected = True Then
ActiveDocument.Protect _
Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, Password:=""
End If

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

TPD600

Feb 8, 2008, 10:36:02 PM2/8/08
It's the spell check script that I can not get to work in a protected form.
I copied the macro per the webpage, saved it to my form, but I still can not
spell check

Graham Mayor

Feb 9, 2008, 4:05:35 AM2/9/08
The macro

Sub SpellCheckForm()
Dim i As Integer
Dim bProtected As Boolean

'Unprotect the file
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
bProtected = True
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=""
End If

'check each formfield for spelling
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.FormFields.Count
ActiveDocument.FormFields(i).Select
#If VBA6 Then
Selection.NoProofing = False
#End If
Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUK
Selection.Range.CheckSpelling
Next

'Reprotect the document.
If bProtected = True Then
ActiveDocument.Protect _
Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, Password:=""
End If

End Sub

based on the web site code will spell check protected form fields (legacy
fields in Word 2007) using the English UK dictionary regardless of the
proofing option set to the form field itself. If you want American spellings
change UK to US.

You will need to run the code either from a toolbar button (I have the macro
added to the forms toolbar) or on exit from a field

CRSA

Apr 1, 2008, 1:39:06 PM4/1/08
Hi Jay,

I am using MS Word 2003 and we experience the same problem as CEV. I am
trying to implement the workaround you gave him and my task pane does not
have "select sections" link. Also, I am only able to select "filling in
forms" under the Editing restrictions drop down menu. Am I missing something?

Jay Freedman

Apr 1, 2008, 10:54:32 PM4/1/08
The link doesn't appear unless the document already contains at least two
sections (i.e., at least one section break). I assume you do have that.

However, the other items in the dropdown (tracked changes, comments, and no
changes) should all be selectable. If they aren't, then something is wrong in
your setup. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm for
some troubleshooting steps, which -- despite the title -- are not just for
startup problems.

Melisa Kleber

May 4, 2011, 1:51:01 PM5/4/11
I had the same issue. I cut all the text out pasted it into powerpoint check to see if I could check spell check in powerpoint. I was able to check the spelling. I repasted the it back into the original and it worked.