Text in table won't wrap

Michelle Cox

Dec 11, 2001, 4:20:39 PM12/11/01
A friend of mine used the resume wizard to make a resume. So now he has a
table with all the resume parts in different cells. The problem we are
having is that the text isn't wrapping. When it hits the right side of the
cell, it just cuts off. The text is still there and shows up if we make the
cell wider.

I keep thinking that there must be some word wrap setting that got turned
off, but I sure can't find it anywhere. Could someone please point me in
the right direction?

This is for Word from Office 97.

Thanks,

Michelle

Alan Taylor

Dec 11, 2001, 8:22:52 PM12/11/01
Hi Michelle:

This may or may not be the same thing -- in 2000, I went
through the Wizard and it left me with something very
strange. It causes text to temporarily not wrap -- then
if you continue typing it seems to wrap, but some doesn't
print.

What it is is a Style (actually several) with a Right
Indent of negative 0.25" -- which serves no use that I can
think of.

The style I noticed it in is a bulleted one
called "Achievement" and it's based on Body Text which is
where that negative indent originates.

By Modifying Body Text to have a 0" Right Indent that
should fix the problem.

Make sure in Tools / Templates and Add-ins you DON'T have
a check mark by "Automatically update document styles"
because that would only complicate things.

Incidentally, that negative indent may have been someone's
plan to get text going closer to the right edge of the
cell. You can get a similar appearance by Justifying it,
although that in itself is debatable in a narrow area.

>.

Steve Hudson

Dec 25, 2001, 6:16:06 AM12/25/01
Table > Table Properties > Cell > Options

The Options vane then has Wrap Text and Fit Text.

Steve Hudson, HDK List MVP
Eyespring.com

John Muller

Jan 9, 2002, 2:24:32 PM1/9/02
I have the same issue with text wrap in MS Word 97.
That is, the text does not wrap at the column boundaries
so some of the text cannot be seen unless I make the column wider.
Also, in Word 97 I don't know how to access "Table Properties".
It is not a choice I see when I select Table on the menu bar.

Has anyone else encountered and solved this issue
with tables in Word 97?

I can get around the problem by using an embedded Excel table,
but I was hoping that there is a better way.

- john muller

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 11, 2002, 12:47:00 AM1/11/02
There is no Table Properties dialog in Word 97, just Table | Cell Height and
Width. But the kind of problem you describe usually results from the
paragraph indent marker having been inadvertently dragged when the user
meant to drag the cell border marker (which is why it's easier and safer to
drag the cell borders in the table than on the ruler). Check your paragraph
format to see if you have a negative right indent.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Muller" <jmu...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

J. Lauzière

Jan 11, 2002, 1:37:55 PM1/11/02
You might also check Cell Height and Width. When you drag cell borders,
the Cell Height often becomes set at Exactly 12 pt, for example, so any
text going beyond that height becomes invisible. Make sure that the Cell
Height is set to Auto.

Hope this helps.

jl