Arial Black shows up as italic

Bill Sharpe

May 10, 2009, 11:10:22 PM5/10/09
When I specify Arial Black as the selected font it shows up properly in
normal view and in print preview. However, when I actually print the
document the font is displayed as italic. The "I" icon is not
highlighted. Other fonts don't seem to be affected.

Other programs using Arial Black display the font correctly both
onscreen and when printed. I'm using Word 2007.

Any suggestions? TIA

Bill

Tom Ferguson

May 11, 2009, 1:56:43 PM5/11/09
Open the document in word as the only document open. Navigate to Font
Substitution and click the button. Let us know what, if anything is shown
as substituted for Arial Black.

Navigate to Control Panel Fonts and assure that Arial Black is
installed. Yes, I saw that it is displaying correctly and printing in
other applications. Just bear with me.

Let us know the printer make and model. It is useful to know this to
determine the printer type.
--

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bill Sharpe" <wfsn...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Bill Sharpe

May 12, 2009, 4:24:29 PM5/12/09
See inline comments:

Tom Ferguson wrote:
> Open the document in word as the only document open. Navigate to Font
> Substitution and click the button. Let us know what, if anything is
> shown as substituted for Arial Black.

Word reports "No font substitution is necessary. All fonts used in this
document are available." And I'm using Arial Black.

> Navigate to Control Panel Fonts and assure that Arial Black is
> installed. Yes, I saw that it is displaying correctly and printing in
> other applications. Just bear with me.

Arial Black is installed in the Fonts folder.

> Let us know the printer make and model. It is useful to know this to
> determine the printer type.

It's an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One printer.

And another hiccup -- if I used Arial Black in Excel 2007 or Excel 2003
it shows up as italic on the spreadsheet and in print preview(and I
would assume as a printout). In Word Arial Black shows up correctly in
normal and print preview views, but prints in italic. Both new versions
of Word and Office are 2007 SP2.

Thanks for your help thus far!

Bill

Bill Sharpe

May 12, 2009, 5:24:57 PM5/12/09
Tom Ferguson wrote:
> Open the document in word as the only document open. Navigate to Font
> Substitution and click the button. Let us know what, if anything is
> shown as substituted for Arial Black.
>
> Navigate to Control Panel Fonts and assure that Arial Black is
> installed. Yes, I saw that it is displaying correctly and printing in
> other applications. Just bear with me.
>
> Let us know the printer make and model. It is useful to know this to
> determine the printer type.

I also did a repair install of Office 2007 with no improvement.

Bill

Bill Sharpe

May 12, 2009, 6:51:38 PM5/12/09
...and MS Office 2007 Diagnostics didn't find any problems to be fixed.

Bill

Tom Ferguson

May 12, 2009, 10:43:03 PM5/12/09
I have read your postings carefully.

The printer is an all-in-one that prints as an inkjet rather than a
LaserJet. Such units typically print the entire document, page-by-page as
graphics using the GDI+ interface., exactly the same one as used to
render the screen. Therefore, the printed page must look exactly the same
as the screen. If the unit contained a laser type printing unit, as many
HP's do, it is possible that there would be font-mapping/substitution
depending on the fonts used and printer driver settings. And, if so, the
printer driver would contain facilities to control font substitution.

So, when you write, "when I actually print the document the font is
displayed as italic", I find it puzzling.

Next step is to check the printer driver for settings that affect font
substitution.

Let us know.
--

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bill Sharpe" <wfsn...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Bill Sharpe

May 13, 2009, 11:40:48 AM5/13/09
Again, see my inline comments:

Bill

Tom Ferguson wrote:
> I have read your postings carefully.
>
> The printer is an all-in-one that prints as an inkjet rather than a
> LaserJet. Such units typically print the entire document, page-by-page
> as graphics using the GDI+ interface., exactly the same one as used to
> render the screen. Therefore, the printed page must look exactly the
> same as the screen. If the unit contained a laser type printing unit, as
> many HP's do, it is possible that there would be
> font-mapping/substitution depending on the fonts used and printer driver
> settings. And, if so, the printer driver would contain facilities to
> control font substitution.
>
> So, when you write, "when I actually print the document the font is
> displayed as italic", I find it puzzling.

Yes, so do I and that's why I'm inquiring.

> Next step is to check the printer driver for settings that affect font
> substitution.
>
> Let us know.

I don't think it's the printer driver, but I cannot find anything about
font substitution in the printer properties dialog box, which includes
six tabs.

Here's what happens when I use Arial Black in several different programs:
Word -- font drop-down box shows italic, normal view shows regular font,
prints as italic -- this is really strange.
Excel -- font drop-down box shows italic, normal view shows italic,
prints as italic.
Wordpad -- font drop-down box shows plain text for all fonts, normal
view shows italic, assume it will print italic.
OpenOffice Write -- font drop-down box shows italic, normal view shows
italic, assume it will print italic.
Adobe InDesign CS4 -- font drop-down box shows italic, normal view shows
italic, assume it will print italic.
PrintMaster 16(Broderbund) -- font drop-down box shows regular font,
text box shows regular font, prints regular font (in other words, this
program works as expected). And this is an older program from 2004.

I have two fonts installed in my Windows fonts subdirectory: Arial Bold
and Arial Bold Italic. I am considering removing the Arial Bold Italic
font to see if that helps.

This isn't a major problem; I can just avoid using this font, if necessary.

Bill

Character

May 13, 2009, 12:47:56 PM5/13/09
Bill Sharpe wrote:

It would appear that you somehow have some Arial fonts that are
internally mis-named, or possibly you're missing one or more family
members.

No fonts with Italic in their name should appear in Word's dropdown
box, since word only displays family names - bold, italic, and bold
italic are accessed via the "B" and "I" buttons.

Arial Black Italic should appear in the drop down with its proper
family name of "Arial Black"; You should have two installed fonts in
the Arial Black family - Arial Black and Arial Black Italic.

- Character

Bill Sharpe

May 13, 2009, 1:38:17 PM5/13/09
See inline comments near bottom:

Bill

The mis-naming is my fault. See last comment below.

> No fonts with Italic in their name should appear in Word's dropdown box,
> since word only displays family names - bold, italic, and bold italic
> are accessed via the "B" and "I" buttons.

I understand that. Arial Black is the name displayed, but it appears in
italic type in the programs mentioned in my previous message. When I say
it shows italic I mean the font is slanted, not that the word "italic"
is included in the drop down box. Toggling the "I" button doesn't change
the font in the document at all -- it's still slanted.

> Arial Black Italic should appear in the drop down with its proper family
> name of "Arial Black"; You should have two installed fonts in the Arial
> Black family - Arial Black and Arial Black Italic.

...and that's what I have installed in the Fonts directory, which I
erroneously wrote as "Arial Bold" -- like three times, ugh -- in my

> - Character

Tom Ferguson

May 13, 2009, 7:07:10 PM5/13/09
OK. Not some light is shining - I hope.

Delete the Arial Black and Arial Black Italic font files. Reboot and
install them from the original source. They most likely were installed
with a Microsoft product such as Office or one of its constituents, Photo
Draw, Picture it!.

Id the Arial Black file is missing or corrupt, Arial Black Italic is
substituted.

Let us know.
--

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bill Sharpe" <wfsn...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Bill Sharpe

May 13, 2009, 8:09:41 PM5/13/09
Tom Ferguson wrote:
> OK. Not some light is shining - I hope.
>
> Delete the Arial Black and Arial Black Italic font files. Reboot and
> install them from the original source. They most likely were installed
> with a Microsoft product such as Office or one of its constituents,
> Photo Draw, Picture it!.
>
> Id the Arial Black file is missing or corrupt, Arial Black Italic is
> substituted.
>
> Let us know.

Aha! We're heading out to dinner shortly but I will try this approach
ASAP. I have Office 2007 on my laptop and I'll try retrieving the Adobe
Black font file from there or from my Acronis backup.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if it works.

Bill

Bill Sharpe

May 14, 2009, 12:15:15 PM5/14/09
Tom Ferguson wrote:
> OK. Not some light is shining - I hope.
>
> Delete the Arial Black and Arial Black Italic font files. Reboot and
> install them from the original source. They most likely were installed
> with a Microsoft product such as Office or one of its constituents,
> Photo Draw, Picture it!.
>
> Id the Arial Black file is missing or corrupt, Arial Black Italic is
> substituted.
>
> Let us know.

Reinstalling the Arial Black font in \Windows\Fonts solved the problem
for the most part. Word's drop-down font menu still shows Arial Black as
italic but it displays and prints properly. The other programs now work
correctly with Arial Black.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Tom Ferguson

May 14, 2009, 1:31:50 PM5/14/09
Glad it worked out. Perhaps the remaining discrepancy on Word's font menu
will disappear once you have quit and restarted word. That should cause
it to rebuild it's font list.
--

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Bill Sharpe" <wfsn...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Bill Sharpe

May 14, 2009, 2:26:19 PM5/14/09
Tom Ferguson wrote:
> Glad it worked out. Perhaps the remaining discrepancy on Word's font
> menu will disappear once you have quit and restarted word. That should
> cause it to rebuild it's font list.

Nope, but I can live with that. Word 2007 and Excel 2007 drop-down menus
still show the slanted letters for Arial Black. Excel 2003 and Publisher
2007 drop-downs show the letters correctly for Arial Black. Go figure...

Bill

Bill Sharpe

May 15, 2009, 12:07:59 PM5/15/09
Tom Ferguson wrote:
> Glad it worked out. Perhaps the remaining discrepancy on Word's font
> menu will disappear once you have quit and restarted word. That should
> cause it to rebuild it's font list.
Removing the font, running Word, restarting the computer, reinstalling
the font, restarting the computer again, and running Word brought back
the upright display of Arial Black in Word's drop-down list.

And my new HDTV is being delivered today! All is well again...

Bill

Tim Murray

May 23, 2009, 8:24:23 PM5/23/09

Arial Black has been problematic since around 2004 when they released 2.40.
Arial 2.35 was better.

Also, if you have manually applied a faux bold to Arial Black, it can end up
as italic. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892598/

Bill Sharpe

May 26, 2009, 11:58:51 AM5/26/09
Thanks!
I now have Arial Black version 5.0 installed. I transferred the font
from my Vista laptop. Works fine again.

Bill

dbo...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2020, 6:37:08 AM8/4/20
How do I find out which version of Arial Black I have?
Where do I download a proper version of Arial Black?
How do I find out which verion of Arial Black I am about to download?
Why has this problem not been solved YEARS ago
Help!

David

S Slicer

Aug 12, 2020, 6:50:54 PM8/12/20