Two Page (side by side) preview with odd pages on right

themint100

Jan 25, 2007, 8:17:01 PM1/25/07
In its 2-up preview mode, Word defaults to showing page 1 and subsequent odd
pages on the left side rather than the right side. Is there a way to force
word to show odd pages on the right when previewing. Odd pages are right
pages.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 25, 2007, 8:31:50 PM1/25/07
If you have selected either "Different odd and even" (Layout tab of Page
Setup) or "Mirror margins" (Margins tab of Page Setup), you'll see facing
pages.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"themint100" <themi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

themint100

Jan 25, 2007, 9:55:00 PM1/25/07
Thanks, Suzanne, but that wasn't my question. Getting a 2-up preview is easy.
Making Word display odd numbered pages on the right side is the question. The
first row in 2-up should show only a page on the right side, which should be
an odd page.

Is there a way to do that? :)

-g

themint100

Jan 25, 2007, 10:16:02 PM1/25/07
Actually, if you want to see how it should display, just export such a
document to a PDF file and view in Adobe Reader.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 25, 2007, 10:23:16 PM1/25/07
I wasn't telling you how to get a "2-up preview." I was telling you how to
get facing pages, which is what you asked. By "facing" pages, I mean recto
on the right and verso on the left, as in a book. Did you try what I
suggested?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"themint100" <themi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

themint100

Jan 26, 2007, 12:51:00 PM1/26/07
Yes, and that does not work. Don't really need the attitude, I'll just export
to Adobe, thank you.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 26, 2007, 2:24:17 PM1/26/07
It *does* work, at least in Word 2003 (and every previous version AFAR). I
have a four-page test document. If I select "Mirror margins" then switch to
Print Preview and choose 1x2 pages, I get page 1 on the right. Paging down,
I get pages 2 and 3, then 4. Same if I check "Different odd and even."
Either of those settings has the desired result.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"themint100" <themi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Freddy

Oct 11, 2010, 6:27:59 AM10/11/10
Hi there, I have the same problem that TheMint identified and the PageSetup window does not address it. In the Two-Page View (which displays pages side by side) We need to see the first page on the right (its on the left by default). If you tell us how to do that, it will solve our problem.

Help!

Fred

> On Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:17 PM themint10 wrote:

> In its 2-up preview mode, Word defaults to showing page 1 and subsequent odd
> pages on the left side rather than the right side. Is there a way to force
> word to show odd pages on the right when previewing. Odd pages are right
> pages.

>> On Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:31 PM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

>> If you have selected either "Different odd and even" (Layout tab of Page
>> Setup) or "Mirror margins" (Margins tab of Page Setup), you'll see facing
>> pages.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
>> all may benefit.
>>
>> "themint100" <themi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> odd

>>> On Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:55 PM themint10 wrote:

>>> Thanks, Suzanne, but that wasn't my question. Getting a 2-up preview is easy.
>>> Making Word display odd numbered pages on the right side is the question. The
>>> first row in 2-up should show only a page on the right side, which should be
>>> an odd page.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do that? :)
>>>
>>> -g

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Oct 11, 2010, 9:45:54 AM10/11/10
The answer has not changed, regardless of what Word version you have. There
is no way to see facing pages in Print Layout view, but you can see facing
pages in Print Preview if you have "Different odd and even" (headers and
footers) or "Mirror margins" enabled.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

http://word.mvps.org

"Freddy" <threes...@gmail.com> wrote in message

fred...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2015, 12:11:34 PM8/31/15
5 years later... but as I haven't found a better solution here is my workaround:
- Zoom to fit two pages in Print Layout view
- insert page break right at the beginning of the document (i.e. create a blank first page). This will temporarily shift all the odd pages over to the right
- do all the editing you need to do then delete the page break.

rrer...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 4:57:51 PM4/15/18
Fred,
This is how I see it, too. Have struggled with this for over a decade, since graphic design classes in college. Can't believe a word processing tool meant for publishing(?) in this day and age works this way. We need "page 0" on the left: a special, non-printing page.

vilc...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2020, 5:01:40 AM6/12/20
Thanks, it solved MY problem (even I am not the OP).
Message has been deleted

Matthew D.

Apr 26, 2023, 11:21:44 PM4/26/23
I would just add, if you add this blank page at the beginning and then format the page numbering to start at "0", page 1 will start on the right side and you'll accurately see the facing pages as they will later print.

Yuval Shay-El

Jan 5, 2024, 2:01:25 AMJan 5
I put a section break on top : Layout --> Breaks --> Section Breaks: Next page
and then the added blank page did not cause page number changes on the rest of the documents.
Otherwise, by simply entering a page break (and not a section break), the page number shifted including
special formats, such as not showing page number on first page.

It's kind of funny to require and comment on a conversion which started 17 years ago, "nice job microsoft" :-)