Avery 5160 Labels (only print on 1 column)

Anita Howard

Jun 9, 2003, 4:40:09 PM6/9/03
I would like to tear apart the Avery 5160 labels and print
1 column at a time only. Is this possible, and if so, how?

I changed the settings to 1 column only, but it requires
the full sheet to be inserted to print correctly.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jun 10, 2003, 4:07:21 AM6/10/03
Hi Anita,

How are you inserting the information into the labels? Is it by mailmerge?
Post back to the newsgroup with that information and we may then ne able to
give you some instructions that are relevant to the what you are doing.

Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
interested.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Anita Howard" <anita...@smacpas.com> wrote in message

Anita Howard

Jun 10, 2003, 9:27:22 AM6/10/03
I am using tools - envelopes and labels.

>.

Graham Mayor

Jun 10, 2003, 10:04:58 AM6/10/03
Anita Howard wrote:

> >I would like to tear apart the Avery 5160 labels and
> print
> >1 column at a time only. Is this possible, and if so,
> how?
> >
> >I changed the settings to 1 column only, but it requires
> >the full sheet to be inserted to print correctly.

If you printer will handle such a narrow strip - most won't - then
simply setup a new label format based upon the strip, and not on what
it began life as. This means a custom paper size and a single row of
labels.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

Nehmo Sergheyev

Jun 14, 2003, 10:34:07 PM6/14/03
Anita Howard

Nehmo
I can understand wanting to print a few or even one label at a time,
which can be done, but why would you want to tear apart label paper? I
don't see what advantage a third-of-a-sheet of paper would have over a
full.

--
*******************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 16, 2003, 8:15:41 PM6/16/03
You can buy mini-sheets of Avery labels that permit you to print just a few.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Nehmo Sergheyev" <neh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nehmo Sergheyev

Jun 17, 2003, 1:45:57 AM6/17/03
Nehmo
> > I can understand wanting to print a few or even one label at a time,
> > which can be done, but why would you want to tear apart label paper? I
> > don't see what advantage a third-of-a-sheet of paper would have over a
> > full.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

> You can buy mini-sheets of Avery labels that permit you to print just a few.

Nehmo
Would there be any purpose in buying small sheets? You can print on
only some of the positions on a regular 8.5 x 11 sheet, and then later
you can run that sheet through again and print on other still blank
positions.

I don't see why anybody would want small sheets, either user-torn or
pre-cut.

If somebody is regularly printing one label at a time, then a
dedicated label printer might be in order.

Graham Mayor

Jun 17, 2003, 3:42:30 AM6/17/03
If you have ever had a label detach from the backing in a laser printer, you
would quickly understand that re-running a label blank through the printer
is not a good idea. It would be *much* cheaper to waste a few labels.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP
E-mail gma...@mvps.org
Web site www.gmayor.dsl.pipex.com
Word MVP web site www.mvps.org/word
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 17, 2003, 2:24:05 PM6/17/03
Although I must say that evidently so far I've been lucky. Despite all
advice not to do it, I decided to risk it when I realized everyone else in
the world was doing it. It may make some difference what size the labels
are; the ones I rerun are usually just six to a page (shipping labels).
Also, if I have used half the labels on a sheet, I do sometimes remove the
used backing (some labels are perforated to facilitate this).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Jun 18, 2003, 4:35:08 AM6/18/03
Having worked for a time in computer support, with a lot of laser printers
on site, the issue was both apparent and costly - especially when
replacement drums then cost over £100 a throw! The problem is that laser
printers fuse the toner by heat and that heat affects the adhesive. The
problem is exaccerbated by the tortuous paper path that some printers
employ.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> Although I must say that evidently so far I've been lucky. Despite all
> advice not to do it, I decided to risk it when I realized everyone
> else in the world was doing it. It may make some difference what size
> the labels are; the ones I rerun are usually just six to a page
> (shipping labels). Also, if I have used half the labels on a sheet, I
> do sometimes remove the used backing (some labels are perforated to
> facilitate this).

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 18, 2003, 9:22:27 AM6/18/03
The good-quality labels seem to have adhesive designed to withstand the heat
of a laser, not to mention that a lot of the newer printers use lower
temperatures (this in itself can cause problems--I learned the hard way not
to run a copy made with my LJ 3100 (MFD, which uses low heat) through my
(high-heat) LJ 4: melting toner all over the place!).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Jun 18, 2003, 10:29:34 AM6/18/03
It's your printer ;-)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> The good-quality labels seem to have adhesive designed to withstand
> the heat of a laser, not to mention that a lot of the newer printers
> use lower temperatures (this in itself can cause problems--I learned
> the hard way not to run a copy made with my LJ 3100 (MFD, which uses
> low heat) through my (high-heat) LJ 4: melting toner all over the
> place!).

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 18, 2003, 6:24:33 PM6/18/03
We all take some risks and have some bad habits. This is my small way of
living dangerously. <g>

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)