"Continuous" section break acting like "Next page"

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Mar 18, 2002, 1:56:46 PM3/18/02
This is bizarre.

I'm working on a book: several sections, each with "Different first page"
and "Different odd and even" layout. I have a long, narrow list of names
that I want to put in two columns. No matter how I insert section breaks
(either manually before and after the names or automatically by selecting
the names and changing the number of columns) the list of names wants to
start on a new page, even though there is room for a good chunk of the list
below the subhead. Here's what I've checked:

1. Both section breaks are definitely Continuous.

2. Each name is in a separate Normal paragraph, none of them set to "Keep
with next."

3. The subhead preceding the list *is* formatted "Keep with next," yet it's
staying on the previous page. The paragraph before it is not formatted "Keep
with next."

4. I tried clearing "Different first page" for the Continuous section in
case that might make a difference.

5. There is a footnote reference in the subhead. Removing this solves the
problem, but I need the footnote; putting the reference somewhere in the
middle of the heading doesn't help. Adding it to the first name puts the
footnote in the first column (not acceptable).

Luckily, I've been able to solve the problem by adding a "Note" as part of
the document body text at the end of the list, and this workaround will
suffice for this application, but I will still tend to regard this as a bug.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Alan Taylor

Mar 18, 2002, 11:14:38 PM3/18/02
Hi Suzanne:

Yes, that looks like a bug. I was able to duplicate it,
in 2000. And then even removing all the "Different first
page" and "odd/even" left the problem. It seems related
to the footnote.

On a lark, I tried something which normally would be the
LAST thing I'd do with footnotes: Tools / Options /
Compatibility
Lay out footnotes like Word 6.x/95/97

Surprisingly, this worked. But of course, if you have a
lot of footnotes, it may not be the way to go.

>.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Mar 19, 2002, 12:32:37 AM3/19/02
Lay out footnotes like Word 6.x/95/97 means "screw up footnotes and put them
quite possibly on a different page from their references the way older
versions did," so no, I don't think I'll be trying that. But I had
definitely determined that it was the footnote. I think this is related to
the fact that if you put a footnote in a multi-column section in the middle
of a page, Word will bump the following section to the next page in order to
let the footnote be at the bottom of the appropriate column (which results
in unbalancing the columns), but at least there's a workaround for that (see
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/FtnoteSpanColumns.htm). I guess
what it amounts to is that you can't have a single-column footnote at the
bottom of a two-column page or vice versa.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

"Alan Taylor" <alt...@aol.com> wrote in message

James Pengelly

Mar 20, 2002, 2:09:23 PM3/20/02
I've experienced countless problems with columns, odd/even page numbering
and the type of section break following. None of them have involved
footnotes though, which makes me think something else is going on.

I've never managed to track down exactly what goes wrong but sometimes
changing section formatting using default Word tools (eg selecting text then
applying column formatting or using an index with columns) also causes
unexpected changes (eg the paper size and/or margins also change). This
causes the problem you describe (text in columns following text in one
column won't go on same page or vice versa). Check that the paper size and
margins are all still the same.

Sometimes you end up with "Margin settings in one section are too wide for
the page width" - at this point you have to treat as a corrupt document.

The problem I'd originally come looking to solve was that I'd got a
situation where there were a series of continuous section breaks separating
1 and 2 column sections, ended by a paragraph using Page Break Before to
start a new page. Word was showing Page 2 on an even page; then page 2 on
the next odd page as well! Changing to using Odd Page or Even Page in place
of the Page Break Before formatting caused a "ghost page" to be inserted
between the two section breaks.

After some random experimentation with Page Setup settings, this has now
spontaneously resolved itself, but I'm not sure why. If anyone can shed any
light I'd be grateful, in case it recurs.

James Pengelly

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Mar 20, 2002, 6:18:37 PM3/20/02
The problem I was experiencing is described in "WD2000: Continuous Break
Between Footnotes Acts as Page Break [Q214203" at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q214/2/03.asp. The
workaround suggested by MS is to convert the footnotes to endnotes. I think
not. I'm in the process of discovering even more serious bugs involving
columns and footnotes, however.

As for your case, there are at least a couple of things going on. The page
margins error message comes from the fact that "Equal column width" is not
enabled by default when you use the Columns button to create multi-column
sections, and this causes problems when you change back to a single column.
Or something. I'm going to have to call on MVP Beth Melton to backstop me
here, because I've forgotten exactly what the problem and cure are.

The other is that when you insert an Odd Page or Even Page break, Word will
add an extra, completely blank page if necessary (if the previous section
ends with an odd or even page) to preserve the alternation of even and odd
pages, which is especially vital if you're duplexing; otherwise you might
end up with even recto and odd verso pages. The rest of what you describe is
just plain bizarre, but it sounds transitory, at least.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

"James Pengelly" <jpen...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

wat...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2012, 4:01:21 PM12/4/12
to Suzanne S. Barnhill
I am having a similar problem, however I am NOT using footnotes on the pages with the multiple columns. I do have a footer, and am using line numbers. We use this document template every year for multiple documents and always have this same problem with it. The recommended solution for formatting footnotes differently will not work since I am not using footnotes. Does the page numbering have anything to do with it?

-Michelle

On Monday, March 18, 2002 3:19:03 PM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> This is bizarre.I'm working on a book: several sections, each with "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" layout. I have a long, narrow list of names that I want to put in two columns. No matter how I insert section breaks (either manually before and after the names or automatically by selecting the names and changing the number of columns) the list of names wants to start on a new page, even though there is room for a good chunk of the list below the subhead. Here's what I've checked:1. Both section breaks are definitely Continuous.2. Each name is in a separate Normal paragraph, none of them set to "Keep with next."3. The subhead preceding the list *is* formatted "Keep with next," yet it's staying on the previous page. The paragraph before it is not formatted "Keep with next."4. I tried clearing "Different first page" for the Continuous section in case that might make a difference.5. There is a footnote reference in the subhead. Removing this solves the problem, but I need the footnote; putting the reference somewhere in the middle of the heading doesn't help. Adding it to the first name puts the footnote in the first column (not acceptable).Luckily, I've been able to solve the problem by adding a "Note" as part of the document body text at the end of the list, and this workaround will suffice for this application, but I will still tend to regard this as a bug. --Suzanne S. BarnhillMicrosoft MVP (Word)Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USAWord MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

Stefan Blom

Dec 4, 2012, 6:15:39 PM12/4/12
If you have selected "Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in the
Page Setup dialog box, and you are restarting the page number to 1 in the
following section, then Word may treat the section break as an Odd Page section
break, yes. However, this is not related to footnotes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP