Listnum and Headings

Tom Karasmanis

Feb 17, 2017, 2:17:19 PM2/17/17
Hi everyone, new guy here. I searched for this, but could not find a resolution, so here goes ...

I would like to define a 'special' numbered outline list (e.g. 1, 1.a, 1.a.i, etc.) that uses as its top level the current top heading level. So if I am in heading 3, then using this 'special' number style, items would be numbered 3.1, 3.2, etc. and sub-items would be 3.1.a, 3.1.b and 3.1.a.i, etc.

I have done this by naming the Heading multi-level list I am using with a LISTNUM field ("Hdg"). In the paragraph I want to enter a 'special' number (e.g. 3.1.a), I enter a LISTNUM field manually (I use AutoText). I also created a style with a hanging indent so that the 3.1.a appears like a properly formatted numbered item. This technique means I have to manually insert the number using AutoText even when I go to the next line (in a numbered list it auto numbers) and most users here that do not know about this sometimes delete the field code.

Is there a better way?

Ideally I would like to use B&N to create my Heading style normally and assign it a LISTNUM name as I did above ("Hdg"). The I would like to create a new numbered outline list and in the "Enter formatting for number" box I would like to enter the LISTNUM name I assigned to the Heading multi-level list.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
tk