Index with seq numbers

CJ

Jun 4, 2004, 5:55:30 PM6/4/04
Hi there

I have created an index which cross references to
sequence numbers rather than page numbers (thanks Peter
Gallmann for your advice on creating this!). I now have a
problem where the sequence number count backbacks in the
index rather than forward. For example,

an indexed item current shows

Smith, John 5, 3, 2

What I need it to show is

Smith, John 2, 3, 5

Note, the numbers refer to sequence numbers rather than
page numbers. There does not appear to be any switches in
the INDEX field code that reverse the order of the cross
references. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks
CJ

Peter Gallmann

Jun 7, 2004, 2:02:56 PM6/7/04
Hi CJ,

this is a known bug of MS Word, see the following article in the
Knowledge Base of Microsoft (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 263591):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263591

There is a workaround described in the Knowledge Base article.

I hope this helps!
Peter Gallmann

********************************

CJ

Jun 8, 2004, 6:35:24 AM6/8/04
Thanks Peter!
>.

lukas....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2015, 6:10:25 AM1/10/15
I have the same problem under Word 2003, Word 2007 and Word 2010. However, the workaround described at http://support2.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263591 does not work with any of these versions of Word.

Any ideas anybody might have would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Lukas

Stefan Blom

Jan 11, 2015, 1:08:20 PM1/11/15
It seems to work if you make the value of the type DWORD (32 bit) instead.

In other words, for Word 2013 (which is version 15.0), you would create a
key called Index at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word.

Then, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Index,
create a DWORD (32 bit) value called WW2CrossReference and set its value to
1.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

<lukas....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Stefan Blom

Jan 11, 2015, 1:19:11 PM1/11/15
Credit goes to fellow MVP Peter Jamieson for figuring this out. See Peter's
reply in the Microsoft community:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-customize/sorting-of-identical-index-entries-that-use/07b6e0bd-33be-4e36-bac6-fb5be3c3260e?msgId=922074f9-2b1d-47da-95f6-551c78edb323.

--
Stefan Blom