word doc with table header and page 1 of 9 etc. sequential pattern broken

lmitch...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2015, 5:26:56 PM1/12/15
My supervisor needs help ASAP. He has over two dozen compliance procedures that he is correcting and filling out. Over six of these have the code broken in the header. Each document has information in a page title shown as a header. Each header lists the page number, in this case such as 1 of 9, then sequentially 2 of 9 etc. One of his information sources changed a page number, so now every page reads that exact same number, it is no longer sequential. I have tried many tricks to perform the sequential numbering again but nothing transforms to the following pages except the information that I type in, on any given page. In other words, if I insert on the second page 2 of 9, 2 of 9 is in the header of every page, including the first page.
I am at a loss except to try and start with a fresh page one (header included), then cut and past the word material on that page, then if I insert the word material onto a second page I am hoping that header will perform its sequential page numbering.
Any other hints on how to correct the damage done to the sequential numbering?
Please help.
Thanks, Linda

lmitch...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2015, 6:40:37 PM1/12/15
My problem has been solved. Go to the header, double click, show the paragraph marker, the 'page: 1 of 9' is highlighted and deleted. Then 'page:' is typed in, then space. After that go to the INSERT TAB, QUICK PARTS, FIELD, field names: Page, pick from the Format Window 1,2,3,. OK. then type space, of, space in the header field, repeat = INSERT TAB, QUICK PARTS, FIELD, field names: NumPages (no format needed) OK. Each page is thereafter sequential and FIXED!! Hope I explained it properly and that someone else find this helpful. Linda