creating the numbering sequence 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on....

Malcolm North

Feb 20, 2004, 11:46:28 AM2/20/04

I'm using Word 97, and am wondering how do I create this numbering
sequence:

1.1 Paragraph 1
1.2 Paragraph 2
1.3 Paragraph 3

2.1 Paragraph 4
2.2 Paragraph 5

...and so on.

I've beeen trying to do this using "outline numbered list". But I just
can't seem to get it to work, especially when changing with 1.3 to
2.1. And it would be great if I can change 1.3 to 2.1 at a press of
some keyboard button, such as Tab. Throw me a lifeline, please.
Thanks!

Margaret Aldis

Feb 20, 2004, 12:51:55 PM2/20/04
Hi Malcolm

Lifeline, canoe and paddles coming over :-)

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Malcolm North" <kia...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message

Klaus Linke

Feb 20, 2004, 5:24:20 PM2/20/04
"Margaret Aldis" <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Malcolm
>
> Lifeline, canoe and paddles coming over :-)
>
> http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hi Malcolm,

Your numbering scheme misses the main headings 1, 2, 3...

Margaret was too modest to include a link to her own articles:
http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs/ListRestartFromStyle.htm

You can set up a regular outline numbering (1, 1.1, 1.2, ..., 2, 2.1, ...)
as explained by Shauna's article, and then format the style for 1, 2, 3, ...
so it doesn't show, as explained by Margaret's article.

Greetings,
Klaus

Malcolm North

Feb 20, 2004, 7:43:16 PM2/20/04
Hi Margaret!

Thanks for the lifeline! Taught me to swim pretty well, but not enough
for me to do the Olympics. ; )

Based on that article, it seems that for me to do this numbering
sequence, I'd need to start from 1, then to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2, 2.1 and
so on. How do I start from 1.1 instead, i.e. 1.1 is my "level 1"?

I know fields or VBA can help exorcise all these Word demons, so may a
good man or woman point me to good articles where I can solve my
problem. Thank you!

Jean-Guy Marcil

Feb 20, 2004, 10:09:44 PM2/20/04
Hi Malcom,

Here's a solution for you:

Click on Show all (the ś next to the zoom) to display non-printing
characters;
From the menu Format > Styles;
Select Heading1;
Click on Modify;
Select Bullets and Numbering;
Click on the Outline Numbering tab;
Select a scheme (1. 1.1 1.1.1. );
Click on Customize;
Click on More>>>;
Select Level 1 and assign Heading1 to it (Bottom of dialog, "Apply Style to
this Level" dropdown list);
Select Level 2 and assign Heading2 to it (Bottom of dialog, "Apply Style to
this Level" dropdown list);
While you are at it, apply the indent and margins you want for Level 2
(Level 1 does not matter as you will see);
Click OK to go back to the Modify style dialog;
Select Font;
Apply Hidden (We are still in Heading1);
Select Next paragraph style to be Heading2;
Click OK until you get back to the Style dialog;
Select Heading2;
Apply font and paragraph attributes (except for indent and margins as they
should have been set from the Bullets & Numbering dialog when doing
Heading1);
Select the next paragraph style to be Heading2;
Click OK until you get back to your document;
Apply Heading1 to where the cursor is;
Type at least one character (or the numbering might disappear when you hit
Enter, I do not remember if that was an issue with Word 97, try it and you
will see!);
Enter;
You should now be in Heading2 with 1.1;
When you want to start at 2.1, Insert a Heading1 paragraph with at least one
character and hit Enter;
Click on Show all (ś) to hide non-printing characters;
Heading 1 should become invisible and you will have 1.1., 1.2., 1.3., 2.1.,
2.2., etc.

You could do that based on your own styles (Replace Heading1 and Heading2
with your own styles), but it is often worth it to use the built in style as
it will help later for the TOC or if you want to work with a document
plan... (to promote and demote paragraphs...)

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

"Malcolm North" <kia...@yahoo.com.sg> a écrit dans le message de news:
fc3c7ba7.04022...@posting.google.com...

Malcolm North

Feb 22, 2004, 9:37:38 PM2/22/04
That sounds like a really neat solution. I'll try that! Thanks so much!

Bruce Brown

Feb 23, 2004, 12:39:35 AM2/23/04
Malcom,

Another way of doing this would be with SEQ fields:

1.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
1.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }
1.3 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }

2.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
2.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }

Press Ctrl-F9 and type in the field contents between the brackets.

You have to keep updating the SEQ fields with Ctrl-a, F9.

Jean-Guy,

Felicitations! Your new designation is richly deserved. Bonne chance.

- Bruce

Jean-Guy Marcil

Feb 23, 2004, 2:36:38 PM2/23/04
Merci, c'est trop gentil!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
jmarci...@CAPSsympatico.caTHISTOO
Word MVP site: http://www.word.mvps.org

"Bruce Brown" <Empyrea...@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1d2f086c.04022...@posting.google.com...

bonnie....@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 2:03:23 PM5/11/15
Hi Bruce
I would very much appreciate a reply to this message. I would like to know exactly what the above SEQ codes for 1.1, etc. is made up of. I know most of it but I do not know what the "x" does in the first SEQ field, nor what the "y" after the second SEQ field does or what the "\c" switch does. Can you please break it down and send it to me as I have been looking how to do this for ages - thanks.
Bonnie

Stefan Blom

May 21, 2015, 2:31:15 PM5/21/15
SEQ fields create sequential (that is, single-level) numbering. Look at
Bruce's example in this thread:

1.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
1.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }
1.3 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }

2.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
2.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }

"x" and "y" are called identifiers; these give names to the different lists.
To put it differently, SEQ fields using the same identifier belongs to the
same sequential list.

As you add an additional field using the same identifier, the numbering
increments by 1, unless you add a switch. You can use \r to set a particular
starting number. For example: { SEQ x \r 100 } produces the number 100. If
it is followed by { SEQ x } that field would display 101.

The \c switch instructs Word to repeat the most current number. In the
example above it is being used to keep the first number fixed as the next
level number (the one after the period) increments.

Remember that you can type in field codes, but you can't enter the braces
from the keyboard. Instead, you must add each pair of braces by pressing
Ctrl+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

<bonnie....@gmail.com> wrote in message

LOGAN DEMPSEY (33)

Oct 14, 2022, 11:03:01 AM10/14/22
***** Email confidentiality notice *****
This email was sent from a
student email account managed by The Villages Charter School.  The contents
of this email are governed by the laws of the State of Florida and the
board policies of The Villages Charter School.  This email service is
intended for school uses only.  Any email from this system that is not for
school / classroom purposes is in violation of the Acceptable Use of
Technology Resources.