Number inside circle

Brian Joseph

Sep 25, 2003, 10:06:16 AM9/25/03
Is it possible to create a Number inside a circle. The result should be font
type and size sensitive. I'm looking for a solution a bit more elegant than
say drawing a circle and then putting a text box inside the circle
containing the number.

Brian
Bristol

Larry randall

Sep 25, 2003, 3:32:49 PM9/25/03
You can place a ListNum field inside an autoshape without
separately creating a text box. Just right click the
autoshape and click "Add text".

If you want these numbers to be "on their own", you should
be OK. If you want them to sequence with numbers OUTSIDE
of a text box, there is a problem: Word does not
recognize numbers inside a text box as the same as those
outside. Convert the text box to a frame, and they will
sequence.

LR

>.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Sep 25, 2003, 10:49:37 PM9/25/03
You could look at the Enclosed Alphanumerics subset of Arial Unicode MS.
These are scalable, but (a) would not match a given font, and (b) can't be
used for automatic numbered lists.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Brian Joseph" <brian...@prvicst.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Klaus Linke

Oct 11, 2003, 11:23:07 AM10/11/03
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote:
> You could look at the Enclosed Alphanumerics subset of Arial
> Unicode MS. These are scalable, but (a) would not match a
> given font, and (b) can't be used for automatic numbered lists.

Small correction to (b): They can be used in a style that's linked list
template (= outline numbered).

To change the style:
With the cursor in a paragraph of that style, run the macro code

With Selection.Style
.ListTemplate.ListLevels(.ListLevelNumber).NumberStyle _
= wdCaptionNumberStyleNumberInCircle
End With

In Word2000, I can't select this kind of numbering from the user interface.
Though it might be possible in some language versions -- I'm using German.

But another drawback is that even large Unicode fonts like "Arial Unicode
MS" only contain circled numbers up to 20.

Above that, the numbers will appear without circle.

Greetings,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Oct 11, 2003, 12:01:02 PM10/11/03
I should have properly used the constant wdListNumberStyleNumberInCircle
instead of wdCaptionNumberStyleNumberInCircle (though they are the same
value, 18).

Most other possible wdListNumberStyles are available from the user
interface, or refer to Asian, Hebrew, Arabic, ... numbering systems.

I can see only three others that might be of interest for Latin numbers, and
aren't available from the user interface:

-- wdListNumberStyleGBNum1 for 1. 2. 3. -- though you could get much the
same result with a dot in the numbering format,
-- wdListNumberStyleGBNum2 for (1) (2) (3) -- though you could get much the
same result with parentheses in the numbering format, and
-- wdListNumberStyleArabicLZ (for numbers that are spaced far apart).

BTW, I just noticed that the numbering for cardinal text, ordinals, ...
depends on the language formatting.
So if you format a list numbered "First Second Third ..." in French, you get
"Premier Deuxième Troisième ...".

Wasn't aware of that before :-o

Greetings,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Oct 11, 2003, 12:30:11 PM10/11/03
And another thing I just discovered:
The numbers appear for me (Word2000, German) even if the style's font
doesn't contain the circled numbers (such as "Arial" or "Times New Roman").

Word seems to use "MS Mincho" or "Arial Unicode MS" if the style's font
doesn't have the necessary characters, maybe depending on the font being
"serif" or "sans serif".
You can change which Unicode font is used with something like
ActiveDocument.Styles("List Number").Font.NameFarEast="Arial Unicode MS"

The large Unicode font still has to be installed.
Nevertheless, this behaviour is pretty neat, since you don't have to use the
Unicode font for the style itself.

Klaus

chri...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2017, 11:10:57 AM11/8/17
You can also use the
Unicode Character 'CIRCLED DIGIT ONE' (U+2460) ①
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2460/index.htm
and the digits, then numbers, extend up to 20...
Unicode Character 'CIRCLED NUMBER TWENTY' (U+2473) ⑳
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2473/index.htm

and then jump in number to 21
Unicode Character 'CIRCLED NUMBER TWENTY ONE' (U+3251) ㉑
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/3251/index.htm
all the way up to 35
Unicode Character 'CIRCLED NUMBER THIRTY FIVE' (U+325F) ㉟
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/325F/index.htm

Also there are

Unicode Character 'PARENTHESIZED DIGIT ONE' (U+2474) ⑴
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2474/index.htm
up to
Unicode Character 'PARENTHESIZED NUMBER TWENTY' (U+2487) ⒇
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2487/index.htm

Chris Lent