Copying and Pasting Bullets and Numbered Lists from Word into a Rich Text Editor

jim....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2015, 12:47:23 PM4/6/15
Hello,

I'm soliciting some help from the Word document gurus out there. In our organization we have multiple people preparing textual content in Word documents (across different versions of Word and different platforms) that needs to be copied and pasted into a rich text editor in our Web content management system.

Every so often we receive a document from someone that allows us to copy/paste the included bullet lists directly into our rich text editor (Adobe CQ) without the need to reformat the bullets. But these occasions are few and far between, as most of the time the Web content producers need to re-format the bullets copied from the Word documents in order for the bullets/numbered lists to properly display in the content editing program.

We've spent hours trying to figure out why the "mother document" formatting works once and a while but not always. Even the authors of the Word documents don't know what they did to format the bullets that are easily copied and pasted into our RTE. We've examined the documents and compared text styles, justification rules, tab setting and can't seem to find anything that is replicate-able.

Where should we be looking? I suspect that the original documents may have been created as templates in an earlier version(s) of Word and then converted to docx, and perhaps some formatting may be carrying over into the new documents which allow the bullets/lists to be copied and pasted without imposing formatting into our rich text editor, but that's just a guess. Some of these documents could be hold overs from years ago and the authors don't even know where they originally came from, they've just been using an updated template which happens to work by dumb luck. I guess I'm just not knowledgeable enough about how Word applies formatting to know what to be looking for.

Stefan Blom

May 25, 2015, 8:42:42 AM5/25/15
Are styles being used consistently in the source (Word) documents? Have
bullets and number formatting been set up as recommended?

Of course, as I'm sure you know, different programs will never be 100%
compatible, as far as formatting is concerned.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP