Figure Numbering sequence skips a number

Jim Easton

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00

I have a 97 Word document that is constantly skipping number 16. It goes
from 15 to 17. I have deleted whole sections, updated fields, reinserted
the captions, and still can't get 16. I have deleted 13, 14, 15, 17, and
18 and no matter what I do 16 will not come up.
The captions are not in text boxes.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Jim

John McGhie [MVP - Word]

Oct 20, 2000, 8:25:56 PM10/20/00
Jim:

I am guessing that you are talking about Caption numbers ???

If that is so, then Number 16 is there alright, you just can't see it.

Go to the front of the document. Hit Ctrl + G (go to...)

In the Go to what box, select Field and in the Enter Field Name box, enter
or select SEQ.

You can now specify either "+16) to take you directly to the 16th field, or
simply Next through them until you come to it. You will find that it is
hidden somewhere under or beside something.

If it is hidden so well your insertion point completely disappears, Next
through to it, then hit the Delete key.

Hope this helps.

In microsoft.public.word.numbering on Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:36:37 -0400, "Jim
Easton" <easto...@home.com> wrote:

Please post follow-up questions to the newsgroup so that all may follow the thread.

John McGhie <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
Consultant Technical Writer
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Sydney, Australia (GMT +10 hrs) +61 (04) 1209 1410

Jim Easton

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

Thank you John
Yes, I am using Captions
I just tried the "Go To" and it skips from 15 to 17. I know 16 is somewhere
but I can't find it. I have deleted everything on the previous and
subsequent pages with no luck. Any other ideas? I really don't want to
type this all over again.

Jim
"John McGhie [MVP - Word]" <jo...@mcghie-information.com.au> wrote in message

John McGhie [MVP - Word]

Oct 29, 2000, 5:48:50 AM10/29/00

Jim:

OK: Either someone has manually re-set the SEQ field in Caption 17 to be 17
instead of 16, or there's a very small but critical corruption in that
document.

1) Reveal the field codes in your document and examine the captions. You
will find a whiole lot of {SEQ figure \* ARABIC } Codes in there.

2) The one you are looking for will have {SEQ figure \r 17 \* ARABIC }
instead. Remove the "\r 17" and it will work correctly again.

If that doesn't fix it, you have a document corruption that Word thinks is a
field. It is "between" captions 15 and 17. By inspecting the text, you may
even be able to see fairly closely where it is.

1) Save everything down to Caption 15 into a new document.

2) Copy everything After Caption 17 into the new document.

3) Save the old document to a new file name as Text Only (this will strip
the corruption, whatever it is...) and close the document.

4) Re-open the text-only version and past the missing text into the new
document.

If that doesn't fix it, the problem is NOT a caption field :-)

Cheers.

In microsoft.public.word.numbering on Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:42:23 -0400, "Jim
Easton" <easto...@home.com> wrote:

> Thank you John
> Yes, I am using Captions
> I just tried the "Go To" and it skips from 15 to 17. I know 16 is somewhere
> but I can't find it. I have deleted everything on the previous and
> subsequent pages with no luck. Any other ideas? I really don't want to
> type this all over again.
>
> Jim

reidmar...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2018, 7:48:34 PM8/10/18
On Thursday, October 19, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jim Easton wrote:
> I have a 97 Word document that is constantly skipping number 16. It goes
> from 15 to 17. I have deleted whole sections, updated fields, reinserted
> the captions, and still can't get 16. I have deleted 13, 14, 15, 17, and
> 18 and no matter what I do 16 will not come up.
> The captions are not in text boxes.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

18 years later and I find this conversation topic.
I hope you found what you were looking for at least 16 times over.