Can't find Avery label on Word label list?

AmandaMarx

Jan 19, 2001, 12:20:09 AM1/19/01
Does anyone know what to do when a certain size Avery label is needed and
cannot be found on Word's label list of Avery labels? I thought about creating
my own but I don't understand the increments that are given to set up my own
label. I'm sure new labels were created since Word's list was created, but I'm
lost as far as how to go about getting the size I need. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 19, 2001, 12:41:44 AM1/19/01
Sometimes you can find one with a different stock number that has the same
dimensions. If not, it isn't that difficult to figure out how the labels are
set up (they're just tables with exact row height and width, combined with
the needed margins to put the cells in the right place). You might find some
new templates at Avery's Web site, but the last time I looked there were not
any I didn't already have.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

AmandaMarx <amand...@aol.com> wrote in message

AmandaMarx

Jan 19, 2001, 11:54:59 AM1/19/01
OK, thanks. The thing that confuses me about setting up my own labels is that
I do not understand the increments, meaning, if a label is 1 3/8" wide, I am
not sure how to set that increment since the measurements are not listed that
way in Word.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 19, 2001, 12:48:12 PM1/19/01
Actually, if you look at the Details for any given label, you'll see that
the label height and width are among the dimensions given, but Word also
needs to know the vertical pitch (distance from the top of one label to the
top of the next) and horizontal pitch (distance from the left edge of one
label to the left edge of the next) because there is a little space between
labels. The diagram in the dialog shows what each of these dimensions is.
This same dialog comes up for you to fill in for a new label (it will have
the dimensions for the currently selected label already filled in, so you
should choose a label setup as close as possible to the one you want to
define).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP
Words into Type
Fairhope, AL USA

AmandaMarx <amand...@aol.com> wrote in message

Tonya Marshall

Jan 19, 2001, 1:36:29 PM1/19/01
Suzanne,
Where do you find label templates in Avery? I tried a download and all I
got were tabs. I'm looking for Avery 8257 (.75" x 2.25") I created one
by using the standard 5160 template and adding rows in the table to
narrow it down, but it's a bit iffy.
Tonya Marshall

Remove_no_spam_here to email me.

Tonya Marshall

Jan 19, 2001, 1:38:57 PM1/19/01
BTW I put in the product number and was invited to download the Avery
Wizard which I really don't like. :(

Remove_no_spam_here to email me.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 19, 2001, 4:20:37 PM1/19/01
Yes, I think the updated templates offered were plug-ins to the Wizard or
something. Whatever it was, I found it unsatisfactory. But usually when you
buy any Avery product, it includes instructions for setup in Word, WP, and
other software (plus a plug for their LabelPro software).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

Tonya Marshall <tonz@_no_spam_here.harborside.com> wrote in message

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Jan 19, 2001, 6:45:25 PM1/19/01
Hi Tonya,

FWIW the Avery 8257 (return address) label is supported in MS Office 2000's
Photodraw 2000 v2, but was apparently too new to be included in
Word 2000 or Publisher 2000 when it came out.

=========
<<"Tonya Marshall" <tonz@_no_spam_here.harborside.com> wrote in message news:3A68892D...@harborside.com...

Suzanne,
Where do you find label templates in Avery? I tried a download and all I
got were tabs. I'm looking for Avery 8257 (.75" x 2.25") I created one
by using the standard 5160 template and adding rows in the table to
narrow it down, but it's a bit iffy.
Tonya Marshall>>

--
Hope that helps,

Bob Buckland ?:-) MS Word/Office MVP

MS - on Preventing Repetitive Motion Stress Injuries from Computing
http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/ergo/default.htm

Windows Users Group Network Support & Microsoft Shareware Pick of the Week
http://WUGNET.com/CompuServe

CompuServe's MS Office Apps Forum
http://forums.compuserve.com/gvforums/default.asp?SRV=MSOfficeForum

sf

Jan 24, 2001, 3:15:56 PM1/24/01
Yes, they have (incomplete, unsatisfactory) instructions for Word, but
using the Wizard is much easier!

I love Word and use it for as many purposes as possible, but labels
isn't one of them. A free download of the (working version) Avery
Wizard is available at http://www.avery.com The option to select a
template for # 8257 comes up as soon as you press "next" on Wizard's
opening screen.

The Wizard is VERY easy to use and Word is just a muddled, confusing
waste of time for me when it comes to labels. I couldn't figure out
how to get Word to let me do what I needed to do within a reasonable
amount of time and it took me less than 30 seconds to figure it out by
using Avery's Wizard.