THE SOLUTION, direct from Microsoft

in California@discussions.microsoft.com JB in California

Dec 24, 2007, 4:52:00 AM12/24/07
I e-mailed the tech support folks at Microsoft. What follows is their
response. I followed the directions and "Step 1" solved the problem for me
in under 60 seconds:

After several meetings on the diagnosis of the issue, all of us agreed upon
the fact that this issue is a by-design feature of Windows Mail.

I'm afraid we are unable to use Word, OneNote, or Excel etc to send or
receive emails via Window Mail. Actually, I personally think what you would
like to implement is very reasonable and understand how frustrating it is
when you find that the product does not meet your needs. I'm indeed sorry for
the inconvenience that this by-design feature of our products has caused you.
I will forward your suggestion to our development team so that they may
improve this in the future.

However, as my personal suggestion, I'd like to give a workaround as below.
Please try it and see whether it will meet your need. Thanks for your time
and efforts.

Step 1: Import registry

============================

1. Quit your Office programs, please click on the following link to download
the Messaging_registry.reg file to your desktop.

http://officetoolsdown.googlepages.com/Messaging_registry.reg

2. Double click on this Messaging_registry.Reg file to import the registry.
When you are asked whether you want to import the registry, click Yes.

3. Start Office programs like Word/Excel to check whether the E-mail icon is
useable.

If the E-mail icon is still shadowed, I would recommend you to perform a
manual check of the registry settings.

Step 2: Manually verify the registry settings

============================

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Close all your open programs in Microsoft Windows.

2. Click Start and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type “regedit” (without quotations), and then click OK.

4. Locate and then click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
Messaging Subsystem registry key.

5. You should have the following registry values listed in the Windows
Messaging Subsystem key:

Name
Type
Data

MAPI
REG_SZ
1

CMC
REG_SZ
1

CMCDLLNAME
REG_SZ
Mapi.dll

CMCDLLNAME32
REG_SZ
Mapi32.dll

MAPIX
REG_SZ
1

MAPIXVER
REG_SZ
1.0.0.1

OLEMessaging
REG_SZ
1

6. If any one of the registry values are missing in the Windows Messaging
Subsystem key of the registry, follow these steps to add the values:

a. With the Windows Messaging Subsystem key selected, point to New on the
Edit menu, and then click String Value.

b. Type the name of the value that is missing from your registry as it is
listed in the table that is in step 5, and then press ENTER.

c. With the value from step 6b selected, click Modify on the Edit menu.

d. In the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box, type the value for
the missing string value.

e. Repeat steps 6a to 6d for each value that is missing from the table that
is in step 5.

7. On the File menu, click Exit.

For Office 2007:

---------------------------

The "E-mail" command is missing or is unavailable in Excel 2007, in
PowerPoint 2007, or in Word 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834008

Word 2007 Send as Email greyed out in Word Mail

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.mail&tid=013b92be-6daa-46f0-8030-dc1de1027edb&p=1

Step 3: Change the default e-mail program to Windows Mail

============================

To do this, close all the Office applications and follow these steps:

1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. Click the Programs tab.

4. Click Set Programs.

5. Click Set your default programs.

6. Highlight Outlook Express in the left panel, click on Set this program as
default.

Open a Word/Excel document to check this feature again.

P@discussions.microsoft.com David P

Mar 26, 2008, 9:26:01 PM3/26/08

"Ben Coyle" wrote:

> Hi
> I have just bought MS Office 2007 Home and Student edition. When I try to
> send a document as an email attachment in Word (or any other Office program
> for that matter) all the email options are greyed out, with no explanation
> as to why I can't send. Sending from Wordpad works fine.
> My default mail client is Windows Mail. I am running Vista Home Premium OS.
> Is this problem occuring because I am not using Outlook? Or is there some
> other issue?
> THanks
Ditto.....MS Office 07 H&S ed. Greyed out e-mail button. I found that if you
save the data to desktop, you can right click it and send to mail
recipient....it will atttach and send in the active mail program, ie; Eudora
(my mail program), ect. I have no idea why it works this way and not
visa-versa..... I have XP Pro OS. I do not use MS mail systems. If I attach
it with the attach button in Eudora it fails to send it in the correct
format. It is rediculus to operate this way.... David P

David P

Mar 27, 2008, 2:58:01 AM3/27/08

"JB in California" wrote:

Importing this
tool(http://officetoolsdown.googlepages.com/Messaging_registry.reg) was an
absolute resolution to my problem! In a minute everything was perfect ! It
poped up My Eudora program and it worked perfectly...I'm a happy camper,now!
Thanks David P

CSmith

Apr 8, 2008, 11:27:00 PM4/8/08

"JB in California" wrote:

This worked in only a minute! Thank YOu!...Now I only hope no other issues
will pop up due to this fix. Anyone hear of any?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com

Mar 26, 2009, 5:17:59 PM3/26/09
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918792

Because Outlook is not installed as a part of the version of Office that you
are using, you will have to use Method 3 - that is, attach the document to
an email message that you create in your mail program.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"dchips" <dch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> did you ever resolve this problem? If so how?
>
> David Mckain

JP

May 31, 2010, 10:28:01 PM5/31/10

I have the same problem or should I say I STARTED having this problem as of
yesterday. It is weird because I was able to sent to email from Word document
into Windows Mail with no problems since August 2009 when I bought my
computer and with an array of various options and now NOTHING. What is going
on?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jun 1, 2010, 4:53:16 AM6/1/10

To use the Send To option in Office applications with Windows Mail, make
the following changes to the Window Registry.
Note: Just in case something goes wrong, you should first back up the
registry by following the steps in the following article:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry
Now, back to the original issue:
1. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run > Type regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Client > Click on Mail
3. Check what appears in the right pane. It should read as below:
(Default) REG_SZ Windows Mail
4. If Windows Mail does not appear, right click on (Default) and click
on Modify and in the Value Data box, type
Windows Mail
Note: If you don’t find the Mail item, right click on Client and Click
New > Key and rename the key to:
Mail
Once the Mail key is created, right click on Mail > New > String Value.
Name the value as:
(Default)
Right click on (Default) and Click Modify. In the Value Data box type
Windows Mail

--
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP