Repaginating out of my mind

wombat

Jul 10, 2001, 8:35:39 PM7/10/01
I have a document (Word 2000) consisting of abour 160 pages or so. It seems
that every time I so much as blink it starts to repaginate again - a process
which takes up to and beyond several minutes. Why is it doing this?

I need to know on what pages certain passages fall to update a few lines
which refer to them. The only way I have found to avoid the lengthy
pagination process is to avoid the print layout view, but if I do that,
there are no page breaks, leaving me in the dark as to the needed page
numbers.

Is this normal for Word? I've never worked with such large documents. (The
other one is over 200 pages and is just as annoying.)

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jul 10, 2001, 8:56:08 PM7/10/01
A few suggestions:

1. Even in Normal view, you should be able to ascertain page numbers:
they're on the status bar.

2. Instead of using hard text referring to something on another page,
bookmark it and use a cross-reference (Insert | Cross-reference: Bookmark:
Page number). That's what Xrefs are for.

That aside, however, "infinite repagination" is a subject addressed by a
couple of KB articles, but both are for Word 6.0, and I think the problem
they describe has been fixed. The symptoms described are:

"You experience infinite repagination in a document that contains a table
longer than two pages when the table rows are formatted for Keep With Next
and the table contains a Heading Row. The status bar will be displayed,
incrementing page numbers and eventually may display asterisks, for example,
"*****/*****" (without the quotation marks).

"If you create a table that has one or more header rows and also at least
one paragraph anywhere in the table with the paragraph formatting option
"Page Break Before" in use, Word for Windows continuously repaginates the
document until it runs out of memory or you interrupt the operation."

Such a problem can also result from having an object anchored to a paragraph
with the "Keep lines together" property set. Beth Melton writes: "Word is
attempting to keep the paragraph on the page, and since the object is also
anchored to the paragraph it's trying to keep it on the page, so it goes to
the next page, and tries the same and fails again, so it goes into a
continuous repagination loop. Or it could be one paragraph is spanning
multiple pages and the object is looking for a paragraph mark to anchor to,
and cannot find it, because no paragraph either begins or ends on that
page."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

wombat <wom...@privacyx.com> wrote in message

wombat

Jul 10, 2001, 9:22:23 PM7/10/01
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> A few suggestions:
>
> 1. Even in Normal view, you should be able to ascertain page numbers:
> they're on the status bar.

Why is normal view so much faster to view than print layout?

> 2. Instead of using hard text referring to something on another page,
> bookmark it and use a cross-reference (Insert | Cross-reference: Bookmark:
> Page number). That's what Xrefs are for.

Can I refer to a range of pages as well? (pages 94-110, for example)

wombat

Jul 10, 2001, 10:04:24 PM7/10/01
> Why is normal view so much faster to view than print layout?

And why does displaying the headers/footers slow everything down to such a
crawl?

This is -very- frustrating.

Deborah Lyttelton

Jul 11, 2001, 6:20:12 AM7/11/01
If you're working on a long document it's much easier to work in normal view
and only go to page layout view at the end to check the formatting etc. The
reason it's so slow is because it's having to repaginate the whole document
everytime you add or delete text or change the formatting. Most of the time
there's no need to do this until you're ready to print, and the same goes
for viewing headers and footers.

--
Deborah Lyttelton
Child Poverty Action Group

"wombat" <wom...@privacyx.com> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jul 11, 2001, 9:57:55 AM7/11/01
And you can speed up Normal view further by disabling background
repagination. You won't see page numbers (or at least not accurate ones) on
the status bar, but you can still insert cross references. If you want to
use inclusive page numbers, do it this way.

1. Insert a bookmark at the beginning of the range and another at the end.

2. Type "pp. " and insert a cross-reference to the first bookmark.

3. Type an en dash and then insert a cross-reference to the second bookmark.

Both cross-references will update as needed. But don't do this unless the
range is guaranteed to be more than a page. It would look pretty silly to
have a cross-reference to pp. 45-45!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

Deborah Lyttelton <dlytt...@cpag.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Dave Rado

Jul 11, 2001, 4:51:13 PM7/11/01
But having said all that, the 200-page-plus documents I
work with don't visibly repaginate very often at all
(although I work mainly in Print Layout view); and even
when they do repaginate, they take around 10-15 seconds,
not minutes.

So I'm wondering whether maybe "Wombat's" document might
contain a lot of OLE objects, or many large embeedded
graphics, or some very large tables - any of which might
help account for this? Or if none of the above, whether
they might contain a minor corruption? (If the latter, see:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm)

Regards

Dave

>.

wombat

Jul 11, 2001, 5:07:15 PM7/11/01
"Dave Rado" <dr...@onetel.net.uk> wrote in message

> So I'm wondering whether maybe "Wombat's" document might
> contain a lot of OLE objects, or many large embeedded
> graphics, or some very large tables - any of which might
> help account for this? Or if none of the above, whether
> they might contain a minor corruption? (If the latter, see:
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm)

A handful of clipart, a few images is about it...

I tried saving it to HTML and bringing it back to Word format but that
didn't really have an impact.

I'm thinking Word has a memory leak somewhere - or at least some other
issue. At times it takes 15-20 seconds to spool everything to the printer,
at others it takes 15-20 seconds per page to spool. Either could be
immediately after rebooting or after 5 hours of use. Word is the only
application which is flaking out like this, the other resource pig -
Outlook - is as kludgy as it ever has been, and my 15Mb PowerPoint
presentation or any of my numerous Publisher documents haven't given me any
trouble. Knock on wood.

Dave Rado

Jul 11, 2001, 7:45:12 PM7/11/01
If you like you can zip it up and email it to me - please don't attach it
here though, and please don't send it unzipped - to see if I get the problem
on my system, with some steps that I can follow that make it repaginate
unexpectedly and very slowly on your system.

Regards

Dave

"wombat" <wom...@privacyx.com> wrote in message

John McGhie

Jul 12, 2001, 5:44:24 AM7/12/01
Hi Wombat:

Well: 160 pages is a very short document in Word. Add a zero and we start
to get serious :-)

Normal view is fast because it is not WYSIWYG. Word "plops" the letters
down instead of individually drawing them, and does not need to resolve all
the headers and footers and other bits and pieces. It also gets up to a
mass of other tricks that save processing power, data throughput and memory.
Page Layout View causes Word to do a whole lot of processing that was not
possible except on a serious mainframe 20 years ago!

I would be checking to see if you have Fast Saves turned ON. If you have,
turn it off: it causes massive file bloat which will slow things down.

I would also check to ensure that Tools>Track Changes>Highlight Changes is
set correctly: the top option should be off, the other two ON. You may have
a whole lot of unresolved editing changes in there slowing things up.

Do you have enough memory on your computer? With 128 MB Word speeds up
dramatically, 256 MB is the sweet spot for Windows NT and above. Anything
below 64 MB is likely to be slow and there's nothing much you can do about
it. If you're low on memory, make sure Word is the ONLY application running
:-)

Where are you saving the file? If the network is slow, or your local disk
is badly fragmented, that will slow things down a lot.

Hope this helps

On 7/12/01 7:07 AM, in article #b6x31kCBHA.1032@tkmsftngp04, "wombat"
<wom...@privacyx.com> wrote:

--
Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP -- Word
Consultant Technical Writer
<jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
+61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs