Edit Picture Greyed out?

Troy

Jul 25, 2003, 4:19:50 AM7/25/03
I have a picture in a word doc (Insert, Picture, From
File). When I right click on the picture there is an
option to "Edit Picture" but it is greyed out!

Is there any way I can turn this on again?

I have tried it with different images: bmp, and jpg same
thing, also tried it on different machines?

Stuck

Thanks for any help
Troy

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Jul 25, 2003, 11:57:49 AM7/25/03
Hi Troy,

You didn't mention which version of Word you're using
and there are several factors that can affect things.

To Word, 'pictures' and 'graphics' (image files) are
not always the same thing :) If you insert, for example,
a BMP through Insert=>Picture=>From File, then select
the graphic and use ctrl+X (cut) then Edit=>paste special
and choose 'picture' as the format, then right click
'Edit Picture' link will be active, but won't actually
give you much you can edit (it's a single, bitmap image)
[i.e. there isn't really anything editable]

If you insert a vector graphic, (.emf or .wmf, which is
what the majority of Word's original clipart is) those graphics
have multiple graphics elements that make up the picture
composition and for those you should see the 'Edit picture'
choice be active.

You can open the graphic from disk into a graphic editor
including MS Office Photo Editor, Windows Paint or some
more highly featured 3rd party graphics apps such as
Image Draw (http://mediachance.com ) or copy it from the
Word document in the clipboard and paste it into
the graphics app to work on it separately.

=========
<<"Troy" <troyh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:063901c35285$84817330$a601...@phx.gbl...

Stuck

--
Hope that helps,

Bob Buckland ?:-) MS Office Products family MVP

http://go.CompuServe.com/MSOfficeForum?loc=us

Have a little fun with Office
http://microsoft.com/uk/office/xtra/

Get a Microsoft Certification of your Office App Skills:
http://microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mous/requirements.asp

Try the new MS Knowledge Base Help and Support Search Tools & FAQ:
http://support.microsoft.com

Choose the newsgroups focused on your MS Office applications:
via Browser:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office
by Newsreader: (Outlook Express)

Cindy Meister -WordMVP-

Jul 26, 2003, 5:19:46 AM7/26/03
Hi Troy,

> I have a picture in a word doc (Insert, Picture, From
> File). When I right click on the picture there is an
> option to "Edit Picture" but it is greyed out!
>
> Is there any way I can turn this on again?

Just to add a little bit to Bob's answer:

You can turn a picture into something Word's picture editor
can work on by using the "Dissemble picture" command. This
will essentially turn it into drawing objects and convert
it into a wmf (I think), which means you may lose things
that don't convert well.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jan 24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Paul

Jul 29, 2003, 12:02:31 PM7/29/03

I'm experiencing the same problem as Troy. I'm now
running Word XP. Bob's work around helped ... thanks!

I mostly insert jpeg's into the documents and then add
labels/arrows after selecting Edit Picture. This way i
find the picture and its labels are more likely to move
together.

Is there an easier way than inserting -->cutting-->paste
special-->selecting format? I recall in earlier versions
of Word I could just insert picture from file, then edit
it.

Thanks ...Paul.

Word Heretic

Aug 1, 2003, 6:41:39 AM8/1/03
G'day "Paul" <fluxe...@yahoo.com>,

the best solution, IMHE, is to only use linked gfx and edit them
externally from Word. If you need to make callouts, just label the
picture using a gfx package and refer to those labels in your
explanatory text. This obliterates all need for floaters and thus
headaches.

"Paul" <fluxe...@yahoo.com> was spinning this yarn:

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email: word_h...@yahoo.com.au
Products: http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 728 pages of dump left and dropping...

The VBA Beginner's Spellbook: For all VBA users.