How do I remove paragraph symbols on every line in Word?

Kathleen

Feb 11, 2010, 10:58:01 AM2/11/10
All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
it's on the left. How do I remove this?

Graham Mayor

Feb 11, 2010, 11:06:33 AM2/11/10
CTRL+SHIFT+8
or click the � button

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Kathleen" <Kath...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

caysimpson

Feb 11, 2010, 11:14:04 AM2/11/10
Click on the "Show/Hide" button on your toolbar.

Peter T. Daniels

Feb 11, 2010, 1:48:02 PM2/11/10
If they're on _every_ line, then you're probably looking at text
downloaded from a webpage, and you probably want to remove them so
that Word can be a proper word processor.

If the actual paragraphs are separated by two (or more) paragraph
symbols, then use Find/Replace (Ctrl-H) to Find two paragraph marks
(^p^p) and Replace with something not otherwise used in your document
(such as line break, ^l [lowercase L]), then Find/Replace every
paragraph mark (^p) with a space (type spacebar in the Replace with
box), then Find/Replace each line break (^l) with a paragraph break
(^p).

(If each of the lines ends with a space before the paragraph mark,
then Replace ^p with nothing at all -- leave the Replace with box
empty.)

Or maybe you hit "Enter" at the end of each line, as if you were using
a typewriter? Don't do that.

On Feb 11, 10:58 am, Kathleen <Kathl...@discussions.microsoft.com>

marysully

Feb 12, 2010, 3:56:03 PM2/12/10
Do you mean the paragraph markers that show up when the show/hide key
(paragraph symbol located on the standard toolbar) is activated. Just click
on that button on the toolbar and the marks will go away. I like using the
paragraph marks when formatting. Also, they never print out.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> .

White Oglesby

Oct 14, 2011, 12:09:54 PM10/14/11
How do remove paragraph symbol from document.

> On Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:58 AM Kathleen wrote:

> All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
> the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,

> it is on the left. How do I remove this?

>> On Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:06 AM Graham Mayor wrote:

>> CTRL+SHIFT+8
>> or click the � button
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

>>> On Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:14 AM caysimpson wrote:

>>> Click on the "Show/Hide" button on your toolbar.

Stefan Blom

Oct 14, 2011, 3:05:20 PM10/14/11
Have you tried clicking the � button as suggested earlier in this thread? If that doesn't work, you will have to display the Options dialog box and clear the "paragraph marks" option.

To display the dialog box: In Word 97-2003, click Tools | Options, View tab. In Word 2007, click Office button | Word Options | Display category. In Word 2010, click File tab | Options | Display.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

________________________________
"White Oglesby" wrote in message news:201110141...@terrranews.com...

How do remove paragraph symbol from document.

> On Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:58 AM Kathleen wrote:

> All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
> the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
> it is on the left. How do I remove this?

>> On Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:06 AM Graham Mayor wrote:

>> CTRL+SHIFT+8
>> or click the � button

jsph...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2017, 1:12:50 AM8/29/17

isus...@isushman.com

Sep 13, 2017, 4:40:14 PM9/13/17
Microsoft was no help (no surprise) but these guys have the exact instructions: https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/General/FindingSpecialCharacters.htm

asra...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 5:48:02 AM11/17/17
Thank you!!

shum...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2018, 6:46:15 PM2/10/18
Ctrl+Shift+8 worked for me, thank u

obpsm...@gmail.com

May 2, 2018, 8:09:27 AM5/2/18
On Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 11:58:01 PM UTC+8, Kathleen wrote:
Press command and then press all the numbers including zero(still holding command).