How to extract email addresses from a word document

RodneyB

Oct 2, 2013, 1:40:43 AM10/2/13

I have been looking at away to extract email addresses from a word
documents. I came across a thread in this forum answered by Graham
Mayor
where comprehensive instructions are given to do this.

1. Use Ctrl+C to copy the search term below:

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

2. Use Ctrl+V to paste it into the "Find what" box in the Find dialog.

3. Click More to display the rest of the dialog; check the boxes for
"Use
wildcards" and "Highlight all items found."

4. Find All.

5. Click on the title bar of the document to return the focus to the
document.

6. Press Ctrl+C to copy all the highlighted email addresses.

7. Open a new document and Paste.

I use word 2010 and the instructions work perfectly, the email addresses
are highlighted.

From that point I am unable to select the email addresses copying them
and pasting them into a separate document. Can some one assist me from
that point.

I think from point 5. above is where I have a challenge.

Many thanks

Rodney

--
RodneyB

Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Oct 2, 2013, 9:57:18 AM10/2/13
Hi Rodney,

> I have been looking at away to extract
> email addresses from a word documents.

Are those addresses formatted as hyperlinks? Or is it just text?

> [a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}
> "Use wildcards" and "Highlight all items found."

> I use word 2010 and the instructions
> work perfectly, the email addresses are
> highlighted.

> From that point I am unable to select the
> email addresses copying them and pasting
> them into a separate document.

You must *not* choose "Reading Highlight". Instead press the button "Find
In" to choose "Main Document".

--
Cheers,
Lisa

RodneyB

Oct 3, 2013, 12:10:19 PM10/3/13

Lisa Wilke-Thissen;494801 Wrote:
> Hi Rodney,
> -
> I have been looking at away to extract
> email addresses from a word documents.-
>
> Are those addresses formatted as hyperlinks? Or is it just text?
> -
> [a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}
> "Use wildcards" and "Highlight all items found."-
> -
> I use word 2010 and the instructions
> work perfectly, the email addresses are
> highlighted.-
> -
> From that point I am unable to select the
> email addresses copying them and pasting
> them into a separate document.-
>
> You must *not* choose "Reading Highlight". Instead press the button
> "Find
> In" to choose "Main Document".
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Lisa

Hi Lisa

Thank you so much for the advice it worked perfectly and wow what a lot
of time saved.

Best wishes

Rodney

--
RodneyB

joepa...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2015, 12:53:06 PM3/17/15
Thank You. This saved my day.

bhawanisi...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2016, 6:18:17 AM3/16/16
thanx a lot

shakya.d...@gmail.com

May 11, 2016, 6:53:25 AM5/11/16
Thank you Friend

ven...@peruwebs.net

Jun 11, 2016, 7:36:33 PM6/11/16
Many thanks Rodney.

urban...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 5:57:39 PM8/25/16
What if the email address is at the end of a sentence and there is a period at the end of the email address? Is there a way to get rid of all these periods?

cfstr...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:14:22 AM1/13/17
Hi Rodney, What if you only have Word 2007? does it still work then because I am trying and I cant seem to make it work

craigdan...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2017, 2:12:20 PM3/26/17
https://automatethatshit.com/lab/extract-named-entities-from-files works well for extracting email addresses from Word documents

an...@prasannapurple.com

May 24, 2017, 8:04:51 AM5/24/17
Wow! Awesome. I'm just surprised this is found in a Google Group :D

SafeTex

May 24, 2017, 1:41:22 PM5/24/17
Hello

I just tested this suggestion and have to say that the results for email addresses was poor. The problem is that some email addresses may have hyphens, dots between names etc and the software missed loads of email addresses.
What I normally use is Text Crawler but you have to know regular expressions to capture what you want
Regards

blinded.b...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2018, 12:28:22 PM1/25/18
Sweeeet! Very helpful.
Update for MS Word 2016: 4. Find in -> Main Document

airportquick...@gmail.com

May 13, 2018, 11:13:28 AM5/13/18

from...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2018, 2:26:11 PM7/22/18
Hi Rodney,

You may check the link below to slove your problem. I think it will 100% work.

https://www.fromsovan.com/2018/07/how-to-quickly-extract-all-email-addresses-in-a-word-document.html

lu...@bytestories.com

Jul 24, 2018, 12:29:08 AM7/24/18
This is the definitive tip that works with all types of email addresses... i.e. Those with .'s or -'s... in the addresses. Thanks clever stranger!
Message has been deleted

vinod.m...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2019, 7:08:51 AM8/13/19
This saved my days... Thanks a lot

caw...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2020, 2:34:47 PM7/26/20
Thank you! This works better than the top Google results that come up - meaning it actually works right - handles periods and hyphens. Kudos!