Word Templates can't Remove them

David

Apr 9, 2002, 9:14:41 AM4/9/02
Greetings,

I have several word 2000 templates that I believe were installed by other
software.

Recently word started taking FOREVER to start up. If I start it with the /a
switch it starts immediately.

If I go to tools templates and add-ins I see several templates there;
qword8.dot, PALMAPP.dot, PDFMaker.dot but the remove option is greyed out.

I've searched my hard drive and can't find these files. I've even tried
making bogus copies for word to find, but this only doubles up the
templates. Some portion of these templates must be there as there are a
bunch of autoopen macros. (I can't delete these either)

Any help greatly appreciated
Sorry for being so wordy,

Dave

cmerr

Apr 9, 2002, 12:25:50 PM4/9/02
Empty the Startup Folder
When you start Word, Word automatically loads templates
and add-ins that are located in the Startup folders.
Errors in Word may be the result of conflicts or problems
with an add-in. To determine whether an item in a Startup
folder is causing the problem, you can temporarily empty
the folder.

Word 2000 loads items from the Office Startup folder and
the Word Startup folder. To remove items from the Startup
folders, follow these steps:
Quit all instances of Word. If you use Word as your e-
mail editor, be sure to quit Microsoft Outlook also.

On your Windows desktop, double-click My Computer , and
then locate your Office Startup folder. The default
location is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup
Drag each item from the Startup folder to the desktop.
(Or create a folder on your desktop, and drag each item
to this new folder.)

NOTE : To create a new folder on the desktop, right-click
a blank area on the desktop, point to New , and then
click Folder .

Find the Word Startup folder. The default location for
the Word Statup folder is:

In Windows XP or Windows 2000 :
C:\Documents and Settings\ user name \Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
In Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows
Millennium Edition (Windows Me) without profiles
enabled :
C:\ windows \Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
In Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows
Millennium Edition (Windows Me) with profiles enabled and
on Windows NT 4.0 :
C:\ windows \ user name \Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
Drag each item from the Startup folder to the desktop.
(Or create a folder on your desktop, and drag each item
to this new folder.)

Start Word.

If you can no longer reproduce the problem, and you
removed multiple items from the Startup folder or
folders, you can attempt to isolate the problem by adding
the files back to the appropriate Startup folder, one by
one. Try to reproduce the problem after each addition to
determine which file causes the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q259/4/13
.asp

>.

David

Apr 9, 2002, 3:38:03 PM4/9/02
Thanks for the quick reply.

Startup Folder is empty... Show hidden files/folders is selected.

No templates.

"cmerr" <cnm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 9, 2002, 4:00:56 PM4/9/02
If you're seeing these templates listed in Tools | Templates and Add-ins,
then they must be in Word's Startup folder. Find the correct path to this
folder from the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"David" <davide...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

David

Apr 9, 2002, 4:31:39 PM4/9/02
Sure enough, I increased the macro security and when the enable maro's
dialogue came up it showed the path to the templates. (It was different than
the one shown in word)

Unfortunately this did not solve my initial problem of word taking forever
to startup, and its inability to open a document that is double clicked in
an email or explorer window or desktop icon.

Dave
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Charles Kenyon

Apr 9, 2002, 6:46:18 PM4/9/02
Word 2000 has two startup folders, the one shown in the dialog and a
separate one in an "Office" folder. When you are searching in Windows, do
you have display of hidden and system files enabled? This may be considered
a system folder.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Beth Melton

Apr 9, 2002, 7:19:00 PM4/9/02
Hi David,

If you used the /a switch to start Word and then note the startup
location in Tools/Options then what you saw was the default startup
path. I'd say your startup location was modified. The /a switch
bypasses your customizations including the portion of the Registry
that stores your location paths.

If you don't see the delay when you start Word using the /a switch
then more than likely the cause is due to the add-ins you found. Did
you try moving them out of the Startup folder to see if Word started
faster?

As for your double-click problem it sounds like the Registered File
Type is broken. Go to Start/Run and run the following command:

winword /r

Note that there is a space before the forward slash.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
benefit.

David

Apr 10, 2002, 5:13:59 PM4/10/02
Still same issues

1. Starts slow 1.5-2 min

2. Won't open double clicked files.

I've removed the add-ins and ran winword /r

Perhaps I should give up.... Start word first thing and never shut it down.
Once its started everything is fine, including the double click file open.

"Charles Kenyon" <msnew...@remove.no.spam.addbalance.com> wrote in
message news:OtVpThB4BHA.2840@tkmsftngp05...

Charles Kenyon

Apr 15, 2002, 7:40:14 AM4/15/02
Have you looked at <URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm>?
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"David" <davide...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

David

Apr 15, 2002, 10:12:55 AM4/15/02
Thanks for all the suggestions,

Nothing has fixed the problem of word opening very slowly....

I have removed all the templates, from all startup locations. (no addins
show up in word anymore)

I have renamed normal.dot to normal.old. (Word created a new normal.dot)

I have deleted the Data Key, and Option Key in the registry.

I am not running Norton or Winfax...

Word still starts quickly with the /a parameter.

If anyone learns of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Dave

"Charles Kenyon" <msnew...@remove.no.spam.addbalance.com> wrote in

message news:O3qcWKH5BHA.2484@tkmsftngp07...