Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred

Ralf B. Lukner

Jul 23, 2008, 1:21:02 PM7/23/08
I'm using MS Word 2007 with MathType 6 and Microsoft equation editor.
Occasionally when I try to save, I get an error:

Microsoft Office Word
<!> A file error has occurred.
(c:\users\me\Documents\...\document.docx)
<OK>

Basically, it's impossible to save the document in this condition.

In the past I have also noticed this in PowePoint. It might be that
something gets messed up in the way the equations are embedded and MS Word
fails when it tries to save. I wish it would at least save what it could
(even if it forced you to change the name).

Bob Mathews

Aug 27, 2008, 12:08:41 PM8/27/08
We don't think this is caused by the equations, but we'd like to take
a look to make sure. Next time you get this error, can you forward the
document to our Tech Support team at sup...@dessci.com? We'll take a
look at it and see if we can help.

Please include your MathType 6 product key (i.e., registration number)
when you send the document. If you don't know where to find your
product key, this explains how:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/findreg.htm

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

djb

Sep 5, 2008, 2:38:06 PM9/5/08
I'm experiencing the same error, but in a slightly different situation:

I'm using Word 2007, but without any copy of MathType installed. In fact, I
don't have any add-ins at all.

I have a document that includes a number of equations created with the Word
equation editor and also has "Track Changes" turned on. It has been revised
extensively, including revisions to the equations. It was originally created
in a previous version of Word, and thus also contains equations from the
previous equation editor.

While it is impossible to save the document in DOCX format, it is possible
to save it in DOC format and have the equations converted to images. Also, if
I accept all changes I can save it in DOCX format and keep my equations in an
editable format.

I don't know if this applies to the parent's case or not. If someone from MS
(or Design Science) wants to take a look at the file I can send it along.

My guess is that the error has more to do with the Track Changes feature
than MathType. It may have something to do with the combination of Track
Changes and equations from both the new and old equations editors. I don't
know much about the version of Word that was used to create the original
document, but my guess is either 2000 or 2003, with an appropriate vintage of
MathType installed.

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

Sep 6, 2008, 10:40:04 AM9/6/08
Hi DJB,

If you save as .doc, then reopen can you then resave as a .docM file?

==========
<<"djb" <d...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72914B11-2763-46CC...@microsoft.com...

[...]

MS Office System Products MVP

How to use Word to create a tattoo
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home/HA102547431033.aspx

Babbokeith

Oct 2, 2008, 5:37:00 PM10/2/08
Using Word 2007 with Equation Editor. Is frequently refusing to save as a
Word 2007 file, though can be saved as a Word 2003 file. The can open and use
the conversion to WOrd 2007 tool, equations re-appear, then back to the
problem that cannot save as WOrd 2007.

Just tell me 'give up for a couple of months, MS will release a patch' and
save me a lot of time ,please!

Thanks

Keith

DP

Oct 15, 2008, 9:03:01 AM10/15/08
I am experiencing the same problem (Word 2007). (No add ons or plug ins
used). I created a form with fields to fill in by others. The problem seems
to appear when I try to protect the document for forms.

From the comments here, I went back and was able to save it as a Word 2003
document -- but I cannot save it as a Word 2007 document without receiving
the file error message.

Was anyone able to resolve this error for Word 2007?

Mike

Oct 31, 2008, 1:53:01 PM10/31/08
By luck, figured out you can get around it by "Accepting all changes" in the
review tab.

Seems to be a definite problem with the change tracking system.

People have to write time critical documents, and your program doesn't save.
What good is a document creating program if it doesn't save documents?

Somebody please fix this..... Soon....

Nintendud

Dec 7, 2008, 1:12:00 PM12/7/08
I have had this exact same problem quite a few times, and it is VERY
aggravating. The "Accepting all changes" workaround did not work for me.

I am currently working on a homework assignment for a databases class, and I
was using the equation editor for my relational algebra. I put a single
equation into my document, and it refuses to save. I hit save, and it opens
up a "Select File" dialog, even though I had the file saved previous to
hitting save. Then, I type in a new name, and "A file error has occurred".

If I remove the equation, all is well.

This has happened on separate Office 2007 installations, as well, so it is
not a simple case of "reinstall to fix the problem".

I am running Word 2007 with the latest security updates and patches.

Also, we are not the only ones with this error; Google 'Word 2007 equation
file error occurred' and you will see what I mean.

I think I am going to have to use LaTeX for this document's equations. Quite
ridiculous.

Nintendud

Dec 7, 2008, 1:25:01 PM12/7/08
Upon further investigation, I have found that this primarily happens to me
when I have an equation entered in a numbered list.

I have very specific instructions for recreating this issue.

1) Open a new wor ddocument.
2) Type 1. and hit space for Word to automatically create a numbered list.
3) Type something on the first line [Example: the letter t].
4) Hit SHIFT+ENTER to go to the next line.
5) Hit SHIFT+ENTER to go to the next line.
6) Insert an equation, and put anything in it. Example: The letter l.
7) Hit "Save". Select a filename.
8) Word will notice something is wrong, and will ask for ANOTHER filename.
Enter another filename.
9) Watch Word 2007 fail spectacularly. "A file error has occurred".

Hopefully these are very clear steps that will allow anybody to reproduce
this error, and will force Microsoft to address it in a future patch.

Nintendud

Dec 7, 2008, 1:32:06 PM12/7/08
If you have different autoformat settings, you may have to manually create
the numbered list by clicking on the button in the toolbar. Also, I have
found that some machines only prompt for one filename before producing the
error.

Bob Mathews

Dec 7, 2008, 9:36:32 PM12/7/08
Which equation editor are you using that produces the error? (If the
question doesn't make any sense, answer this one -- what are the steps
you go through to open the equation editor?)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

On 7-Dec-2008, Nintendud wrote, among other things...

> I have had this exact same problem quite a few times, and it is
> VERY aggravating. The "Accepting all changes" workaround did

> not work for me...

Nintendud

Dec 7, 2008, 10:42:04 PM12/7/08
I click on the "Insert" section of the ribbon, and then click on "Equation"
[I click on the box with "Pi", not the arrow beneath it]. Then, a box appears
in my document that says "Type equation here".

Then, you can type your equation into the box.

Terry Farrell

Dec 8, 2008, 6:00:34 AM12/8/08
Try Insert, Object, Microsoft Equation 3. If you use this regularly, you can
add the command to your QAT.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Nintendud" <Nint...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nintendud

Dec 8, 2008, 8:04:01 AM12/8/08
That works, but does this mean that the regular equation editor is known to
be this broken? I like the interface for the regular equation editor better
than this one.

Also, I can get around the problem with the regular equation editor by not
adding an extra line between text and the equation on numbered lists. My main
concern right now is notifying Microsoft of this problem [via these forums]
to make them aware of the problem, and more likely to issue a fix
[eventually].

- John

Terry Farrell

Dec 8, 2008, 9:16:32 AM12/8/08
They are aware of that problem when using numbered lists.

Reporting problems here won't have the desired result because MS only
provide the facilities and don't actually have any presence in the
newsgroups. This is solely a peer-to-peer support newsgroup. I'll be very
surprised if this bug gets fixed before the next release but you never know!

Terry

"Nintendud" <Nint...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nintendud

Dec 8, 2008, 12:01:00 PM12/8/08
OK. Thanks for letting me know. :)

larryslack

Dec 11, 2008, 5:04:02 PM12/11/08
Just wanted to say that I got the same error and was only using the built in equation editor that comes with Word 2007.

By fiddling with soft carriage returns and changing them to hard right before one of the equations, the document finally could be saved.

Just in case this helps...

larryslack

Dec 11, 2008, 5:12:17 PM12/11/08
Sorry for previous post. I didn't notice the many other replies (I just saw the first one)that seem to have gotten to the problem fairly closely!

ph

May 3, 2010, 9:56:25 PM5/3/10
So i know it's been a while since you posted this and i'm not sure if you've resolved the issue.

i get the exact same error only when i'm typing equations, as i do both maths and physics at uni you can imagine how often i have to type equations.

I get around this by saving my assignment as a new file after every equation i do so that when the error does appear i can go back to the previous version and type the equation which wont save. Its a bit annoying but does the job.

Today the same thing happened to me and because i forgot to make back-ups i saved the document as a pdf so i would still have an electronic copy of it - even if i can't edit it... and for some reason it allowed me to save the original document...might just be a fluke but try it next time it happens to you and let me know if it works by first saving it as a pdf.

Thanks

RalfBLukne wrote:

Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred
23-Jul-08

On Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:21 PM
RalfBLukne wrote:

Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

On 23-Jul-2008, RalfBLukner wrote:

On Friday, September 05, 2008 2:38 PM
dj wrote:

Re: Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred

[...]

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On Saturday, September 06, 2008 10:40 AM

Bob Buckland ?:-\) wrote:

Hi DJB,If you save as .doc, then reopen can you then resave as a .docM file?
Hi DJB,

On Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:37 PM
Babbokeit wrote:

Using Word 2007 with Equation Editor.
Using Word 2007 with Equation Editor. Is frequently refusing to save as a
Word 2007 file, though can be saved as a Word 2003 file. The can open and use
the conversion to WOrd 2007 tool, equations re-appear, then back to the
problem that cannot save as WOrd 2007.

Just tell me 'give up for a couple of months, MS will release a patch' and
save me a lot of time ,please!

Thanks

Keith

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:03 AM
D wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem (Word 2007). (No add ons or plug ins used).
I am experiencing the same problem (Word 2007). (No add ons or plug ins
used). I created a form with fields to fill in by others. The problem seems
to appear when I try to protect the document for forms.

From the comments here, I went back and was able to save it as a Word 2003
document -- but I cannot save it as a Word 2007 document without receiving
the file error message.

Was anyone able to resolve this error for Word 2007?

"Ralf B. Lukner" wrote:

On Friday, October 31, 2008 1:53 PM
Mik wrote:

By luck, figured out you can get around it by "Accepting all changes" in the
By luck, figured out you can get around it by "Accepting all changes" in the
review tab.

Seems to be a definite problem with the change tracking system.

People have to write time critical documents, and your program doesn't save.
What good is a document creating program if it doesn't save documents?

Somebody please fix this..... Soon....

"DP" wrote:

On Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:12 PM
Nintendu wrote:

[...]

"Mike" wrote:

On Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:25 PM
Nintendu wrote:

[...]

"Nintendud" wrote:

On Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:32 PM
Nintendu wrote:

If you have different autoformat settings, you may have to manually create the
If you have different autoformat settings, you may have to manually create
the numbered list by clicking on the button in the toolbar. Also, I have
found that some machines only prompt for one filename before producing the
error.

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

On 7-Dec-2008, Nintendud wrote, among other things...

On Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:42 PM
Nintendu wrote:

I click on the "Insert" section of the ribbon, and then click on "Equation" [I
I click on the "Insert" section of the ribbon, and then click on "Equation"
[I click on the box with "Pi", not the arrow beneath it]. Then, a box appears
in my document that says "Type equation here".

Then, you can type your equation into the box.

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On Monday, December 08, 2008 6:00 AM
Terry Farrell wrote:

Try Insert, Object, Microsoft Equation 3.
Try Insert, Object, Microsoft Equation 3. If you use this regularly, you can
add the command to your QAT.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

On Monday, December 08, 2008 8:04 AM
Nintendu wrote:

That works, but does this mean that the regular equation editor is known to be
That works, but does this mean that the regular equation editor is known to
be this broken? I like the interface for the regular equation editor better
than this one.

Also, I can get around the problem with the regular equation editor by not
adding an extra line between text and the equation on numbered lists. My main
concern right now is notifying Microsoft of this problem [via these forums]
to make them aware of the problem, and more likely to issue a fix
[eventually].

- John

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

On Monday, December 08, 2008 9:16 AM
Terry Farrell wrote:

They are aware of that problem when using numbered lists.
They are aware of that problem when using numbered lists.

Reporting problems here won't have the desired result because MS only
provide the facilities and don't actually have any presence in the
newsgroups. This is solely a peer-to-peer support newsgroup. I'll be very
surprised if this bug gets fixed before the next release but you never know!

Terry

"Nintendud" <Nint...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Monday, December 08, 2008 12:01 PM
Nintendu wrote:

Re: Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred

OK. Thanks for letting me know. :)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

On Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:04 PM
Larry Slack wrote:

Word cannot save a document: a file error has occurred

Just wanted to say that I got the same error and was only using the built in equation editor that comes with Word 2007.

By fiddling with soft carriage returns and changing them to hard right before one of the equations, the document finally could be saved.

Just in case this helps...

On Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:12 PM
Larry Slack wrote:

Word cannot save a document: A file error has occurred
Sorry for previous post. I did not notice the many other replies (I just saw the first one)that seem to have gotten to the problem fairly closely!

On Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:29 PM
dsjakfkj fjkajf wrote:

asds
For me, removing the equations fixed the problem.

On Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:29 PM
dsjakfkj fjkajf wrote:

dssadas
asdsadasdasdas

Distributed Data Grids - Share Objects Between Windows Service and ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/953ed61f-e440-4ca5-8b7a-1bb00e33db07/distributed-data-grids-.aspx

vetera...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2014, 2:16:17 PM7/27/14
WILL I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IF I SWITCH TO APPLE COMPUTER?

acol...@lbschools.net

Jun 29, 2017, 8:05:09 PM6/29/17
This was perfect! The Accept All Changes saved the day. Thank you!

haniep...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2018, 2:02:23 AM8/21/18
I have the same problem and I found a formula which when I cut it, problem become solved.