Word 2003: the famous "disk is full" error

Zeke

Feb 15, 2006, 4:01:31 PM2/15/06
I've searched a number of the threads here and the MS site, but neither
appear to have any impact on this issue we are experiencing.

We have a request form with macros and fileds, it weighs in at 140KB
and has about 2,300 characters. Pretty lite, nothing too fancy in
there. The form is accessed through Outlook, on an Exchange 2003
server in the public shared folders. This can be recreated throughout
the environment, on both Office XP and Office 2003. When a user opens
the form, attempts to save it locally to their desktop they have a 50%
chance of receiving the error. If they were lucky enough to save it to
their local machine and go to edit the document, they can not save the
form with either the same name or a different name.

The exact error is:
The disk is full. Free some space on this drive, or save the document
on another disk.
Try one or more of the following:
* Close any unneeded documents, programs, and windows.
* Save the document to another disk.

I don't think the document is corrupt, because it isn't this one
particular Word doc and it doesn't always happen. I would have tried
to select all, copy, and paste into a new document, but the form is
locked down and I can not "select all".

Here is what I found on the MS site, but neither document can be
applied in this case.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&ast=1%2C2%2C3&spid=2530&mode=a&cat=false&kt=ALL&title=false&mdt=&pwt=False&comm=1&query=%22The+disk+is+full%22&srch=sup

Anyone successfully gotten past this error?

Charles Kenyon

Feb 15, 2006, 4:33:36 PM2/15/06
Don't open it directly from email. Save the attachment to disk, open it from
the disk and save it back there. Opening from the email involves a temporary
file that disappears like the dusk.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Zeke" <mzi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Zeke

Feb 16, 2006, 10:07:47 AM2/16/06
I wish it was that easy. You can copy this to your desktop or open it
from within Outlook. This isn't a regular, everyday email attachment,
you get to it through browsing through the shared/public folders in
Outlook.

It happens with Office XP and Office 2003, it doesn't happen all the
time and the kicker is that the general user base has NO problem with
this form what so ever... it's just those in the technical teams at
this point. We have builds ranging from the "normal everyday same as
the user build" to those who have a number of tech apps installed.

I have tried the following:
- Saving the file locally
- Opening directly from Outlook 2003
- Turning down the macro security level to "low"
- Opening Word (XP/2003) first and then opening the file

They all result in the same error. Any ideas? Anyone?

Zeke

Feb 16, 2006, 10:15:49 AM2/16/06
I forgot to mention that this occurs on the following:
- WinXP Pro SP1
- WinXP Pro SP2

- Office XP/2002 SP3

- Office 2003
- Office 2003 SP1
- Office 2003 SP2.

Charles Kenyon

Feb 16, 2006, 11:58:52 AM2/16/06
> - Opening Word (XP/2003) first and then opening the file
Are you using File > Open or double-clicking on the icon?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Zeke" <mzi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Zeke

Feb 16, 2006, 2:12:50 PM2/16/06
Forgot to list that one as well, I have also tried to run a repair on
the file and that does nothing... the error continues.

Zeke

Feb 21, 2006, 4:14:06 PM2/21/06
I got a fix today from a Microsoft Engineer on the Word team:

This occurs because a template was used to create a file and the
template used is no longer present on the machine. Not the end all be
all cause for this error, but in my case this is what caused it.

The fix:
THIS WAS ALL DONE ON OFFICE 2003 PROFESSIONAL SP2

The steps below were for our specific file, hopefully they can help
some others here:
Determine the template:
1) Open the document and goto File - Properties
2) If the template is not "normal.dot" and something else, search your
machine for that template. If you do not find the template, follow the
steps below.

If Protection is enabled on the document, follow these steps to remove
it:
1) Goto Tools - Unprotect Document

Select a new template:
1) Goto Tools - Templates and Add-ins
2) In the Document Template section, click "Attach" and select
Normal.dot in the Browse window.
*note* if normal.dot is not intially seen, then search your machine for
it and then browse to it in this window when you have located it.
3) Click OK and then Save
4) Try editing or saving the file and see if this didn't help

If your form/document contained Macro's:
1) Goto Tools - Macro - Visual Basic Editor (ALT+F11)
2) With "ThisDocument" selected on the left side, Goto Tools -