Three Guys 1 Hammer

Beverly Denmark

Dec 8, 2023, 10:48:45 AM12/8/23
Having won three straight, Herman drifted through an easy, breezy 30-minute session on Monday. He poked fun at himself, hisstaff members and acknowledged his players must keep at it this week against Kansas State (2-2, 0-1 Big 12).

three guys 1 hammer
Download Zip https://urlin.us/2wJby2

The Crimson Tide took advantage of another leadoff walk in the sixth. Wade Wass was issued a free pass on five pitches and was given an easy route to steal second on a throw in the dirt on strike three to Austen Smith. After Casey Hughston flied out for the second out of the inning, Vincent deposited a single down the leftfield line to knock Wass in for the 4-1 lead.

POST-GAME QUOTES
HOUSTON HEAD COACH Todd Whitting
Thoughts on the game
"Texas A&M-Corpus Christi played really well this weekend. It got away from them a little on Friday night, but they played outstanding for two days. They were making plays all over the field, and they didn't give us a chance to get cheap runs. Coach (Scott) Malone and his crew played really well. The story today was two freshmen pitchers going out, and throwing strikes while having great mound presence. In nine innings, they only walked two batters. With two freshmen pitchers--that's big time. (Caleb) Barker's homerun late, extending the lead was big. Today we played great defense, turning two double plays. We had the big one in the first inning, and then a huge one in the ninth inning. Then (Justin Montemayor) Monty makes the play on the fence to end the game. I'm really proud of effort we gave throughout the series."

On Freshman Jake Lemoine
"He is a great player who was drafted out of high school. He has a very bright future ahead of him, and he's going to be one of the great ones at the University of Houston. He has to stay with coach (Frank) Anderson. He made a few adjustments with him, that's working out really well. Thing I love about him is that there isn't a situation that is too big for him. He has great presence, and (Grant) Slaughter is the same way. Those guys don't get rattled at all in a close game."

On the series win
"Two out of three, we win the series. Of course I would like to sweep the series, but those are two quality wins. Those guys are going to win a lot of games down the road."

FRESHMAN PITCHER Jake Lemoine
On your first career start
"I came out trying to pound the strike zone. Just letting the batters get themselves out. My defense had my back all day; they made every play that was given to them."

On leading the team with four wins
"It's really something special, I didn't think that would happen coming into this season. Honestly I wasn't sure if I would even play coming into this season. I haven't felt any pressure since the first game. Coach Anderson and I have been working on certain things, and ultimately it got rid of my jitters."

FRESHMAN PITCHER Grant Slaughter
On closing the game today
"We had a small lead, and I knew that I had to come in and throw strikes. I had some big defensive plays behind me. It's easy to come out and throw strikes when you have a defense like that. I was able to come out, and get the save."

JUNIOR CATCHER Caleb Barker
On the series win
"It was a big series win for us. Huge win on Friday night, then we ran into a little bit of bad luck yesterday. To be able to come out on Sunday, and get a close win like this is really good for our ball club."

On your homerun in the 6th inning
"I was able to get in an advantage count, and I was just looking for a pitch to drive. I got a pitch up in the zone, and put a good swing on it, and it sneaked out of here. Lately my approach has been, not trying to do too much at the plate. Be able to keep it simple, and swing at good pitches."

STAY CONNECTED
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting toddwhitting on Twitter.

UP NEXT
Houston will make its first of just two midweek away games in the month of March when it travels to Waco to take on Baylor at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 12.

Feb. 10, 2001QuotesComplete Release in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat ReaderSTILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State's second-ranked wrestling team won big over eighth-ranked Nebraska, 29-12, in front of 2,146 fans at Gallagher-Iba Arena.John Smith's Cowboys improve to 15-1 and 4-0 in Big 12 action. Nebraska falls to 11-4 overall and 1-1 in conference."I think some of the big wins -- and the guys that looked good -- were Reggie (Wright) and Matt Brown," said Smith." "Matt did a good job of staying in position and beating his opponent where he needed to."Nebraska's top-ranked Brad Vering broke a string of four-straight losses to OSU's third-ranked Mark Mu?oz. Vering scored a takedown at the 1:36 mark of the second period. Mu?oz struck back, taking Vering down with 54 seconds remaining in the third.Following a scoreless sudden victory period, Vering escaped with nine seconds remaining in the tiebreaker for the 5-4 win.OSU's upset of the day came at 125 pounds where eighth-ranked Matt Brown knocked off NU's fourth-ranked Jason Powell. Powell, a native of Midwest City, Okla., was decisioned 6-5.The 174-pound match came down to the wire as OSU's sixth-ranked Tyrone Lewis posted a exciting 3-2 win over 13th-ranked Ati Conner.OSU picked up a forfeit at 184 pounds and a match termination at 141 pounds. Charles Walker was leading 11-2 at 141 pounds when Nebraska freshman Dusty Spaulding was hit with his fourth stall warning and disqualified at the 6:35 mark.At 149 pounds, top-ranked Reggie Wright scored a 19-3 technical fall in 3:07 over Travis Baker.OSU's second-ranked Johnny Thompson was suprised at 133 pounds when fourth-ranked Todd Beckerman caught him and pinned him in 1:31. Nebraska's second-ranked Bryan Snyder beat 16th-ranked Shane Roller, 11-5.OSU also picked up decisions at 285 and 165 pounds to secure the win.The Cowboys travel Tempe, Ariz., on Friday for a showdown with Lee Roy Smith's 14th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils (9-3).OSU 29, Nebraska 12
Match Results
184: Daniel Cormier (OSU ) wins by forfeit
197: Brad Vering (NU) dec. Mark Mu?oz, 5-4 tb
285: James Huml (OSU) dec. Pat Miron, 6-0
125: Matt Brown (OSU) dec. Jason Powell, 6-5
133: Todd Beckerman (NU) pins Johnny Thompson, 1:31
141: Charles Walker (OSU) disqualification Dusty Spaulding, 6:35
149: Reggie Wright (OSU) tech. fall Travis Baker, 19-3 (3:07)
157: Bryan Snyder (NU) dec. Shane Roller, 11-5
165: Chris Pendleton (OSU) dec. Tony Denke, 6-2
174: Tyrone Lewis (OSU) dec. Ati Conner, 3-2
Print Friendly Version var obj = "start":0,"count":10,"name":"story-template-boilerplate","sport_id":null,"count_breakpoints":null,"css_class":"","pinned_id":"","extra":,"context":null,"dummy":false,"type":"ads","id":"4868596d-c4c5-42ac-b278-2d8848f0204c","data":"location":"id":0,"title":null,"type":null,"effect":null,"fixed_image_sizes":false,"excluded_sport_ids":null,"slick":false,"dfp":false,"sidearm_dfp":false,"common_page":false,"html_template":null,"name":null,"autoplay_speed":0,"accessibility_icons":false,"sizes":null,"slick_options":null,"dfp_sizes":null,"campaigns":[],"content_id":null,"content_title":null,"content_date":null,"content_url":null,"content_image_url":null,"mode":"web"; if (!("sidearmComponents" in window)) window.sidearmComponents = []; window.sidearmComponents.push(obj); Related Story Content var obj = "start":0,"count":10,"name":"story-template-general-1-1","sport_id":null,"count_breakpoints":null,"css_class":"","pinned_id":"","extra":,"context":null,"dummy":false,"type":"ads","id":"4f883b6c-873e-46da-9138-a3b9797cdc3c","data":"location":"id":46,"title":"Story Templates - General 1 - Location 1","type":"dfp","effect":"none","fixed_image_sizes":true,"excluded_sport_ids":[],"slick":false,"dfp":true,"sidearm_dfp":false,"common_page":true,"html_template":null,"name":"story-template-general-1-1","autoplay_speed":8,"accessibility_icons":false,"sizes":null,"slick_options":null,"dfp_sizes":["id":87,"enabled":true,"breakpoint":0,"width":300,"height":250,"size_list":null,"unit_name":"/29658103/okstate","sidearm_dfp":null],"campaigns":null,"content_id":"story-template-general-1-1","content_title":"story-template-general-1-1","content_date":null,"content_url":null,"content_image_url":null,"mode":"web"; if (!("sidearmComponents" in window)) window.sidearmComponents = []; window.sidearmComponents.push(obj); Story Links Related Videos Now Playing: Play Video

The Cavaliers led by as many as 26 in the first half as they were 17 of 32 of three-point attempts. The Pistons fought to within 14 points (49-35) on a layup by Reggie Jackson with 3:19 remaining in the second quarter.

"A lot of times guys want out of things that are going bad," Van Gundy said. "I wasn't going to let those guys. If they want to be the guys, then stay out there and be the guys and make something happen."

April 3, 2008ResultsAUSTIN, Texas -- Washington State's hammer throwers McKenzie Garberg and Phil MacArthur, and decathlete Rickey Moody had outstanding performances Thursday at the 81st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, at Mike A. Myers Stadium on the University of Texas Austin campus.McKenzie Garberg broke the Washington State University women's hammer record with her improved NCAA Regional Qualifying toss of 196-feet, 3 inches (59.83m). Garberg, a senior from Benton City, Wash. who earned All-America honors in the discus last season, took over All-American Andrea Thornton's school hammer record of 195-0 (59.44), set in 2001. Garberg broke the record on her fifth attempt of the day and finished third in the 16-woman field of competitors.When asked if she was satisfied with the record Garberg replied, "No. I'm still growing. I could have done better and I will do better during the rest of this season."Junior Phil MacArthur (Selkirk, Wash.) took fifth place in the men's hammer with an improved NCAA RQ and PR toss of 199-0 (60.65m). MacArthur uncorked his lifetime-best throw with the first of his six-competition throws."We set Phil's training for him to peak at this meet," WSU Associate Coach and throws coach Debra Farwell said. "You cross your fingers and hope that everything we did in practice and in training will get him ready for this meet and actually it did. We need to make his transition from the second and third turns a little bit better and I think the guy's going to be unstoppable."Rickey Moody, a senior from Puyallup, Wash., finished the decathlon with a personal-best total of 7,787 points, which placed him fourth in the overall competition and third place among collegians. Former Texas All-American and collegiate decathlon record-holder Trey Hardy won the event with 8,381 points. The top collegian was Gonzalo Barrolihet, a freshman from Florida State, with 7,828 points, while Brandon Hoskins, a senior from Liberty University, finished third overall with 7,800 points.Moody opened the day with a wind-aided PR time of 14.55 seconds in the 110m hurdles. He threw the discus a distance of 151-10 (46.27m), which is his lifetime-best mark. Moody cleared a PR height in the pole vault of 13-11 1/4 (4.25m) and then threw the javelin a PR distance of 197-6 (60.20m). Moody ran a 1500m PR time of 5:09.87, an improvement of 2 minutes. His 7,787 points is the second-best decathlon mark in WSU history, behind only Simon Shirley's 1988 total of 8,036 points for 15th place at the Seoul Olympics. Moody had outdoor PR marks in seven of the 10 events at the Texas Relays.After the competition Moody said, "It all could have been better but I'm happy and content with that total. I'll take it. This is one of the first competitions that it has come together so consistently. There was a lot of great competition out there too. Knowing that everyone had already scored 7,000 points to get into the meet, I knew I had to step my game up going into this to come out in the top three. Now I know what events I need to work on to improve when I get back to training.""Rickey had a pretty solid day," WSU Head Coach Rick Sloan said. "He did a great job and he competed very, very well and managed the competition well. I'm very proud of the job he did competitively. We are looking at all the things that he can improve upon and he can go over 8,000 points. He needs to stay healthy and keep moving forward in some events, like the vault could be a lot more points for him."Former Cougar All-American Julie Pickler, now competing for Asics, won the women's heptathon with a personal-best total of 5,990 points.Selected members of Cougar track and field team members will compete at the Texas Relays Friday and Saturday, while another squad will compete at the Stanford Invitational Meet Friday and Saturday. Print Friendly Version Players Mentioned Phil MacArthur Hammer Freshman Players Mentioned Phil MacArthur Freshman Hammer if (document.getElementsByTagName("html")[0].classList.contains('postgame_3')) var players_mentioned_el = document.getElementById("postgame_1-2_mentioned-players"); if (players_mentioned_el !== null) players_mentioned_el.remove(); else var players_mentioned_el = document.getElementById("postgame_3_mentioned-players"); if (players_mentioned_el !== null) players_mentioned_el.remove(); var obj = "start":0,"count":10,"name":"story-template-boilerplate","sport_id":null,"count_breakpoints":null,"css_class":"","pinned_id":"","extra":,"context":null,"dummy":false,"type":"ads","id":"43feb822-7f48-4c3e-9daf-e975a56ac88e","data":"location":"id":0,"title":null,"type":null,"effect":null,"fixed_image_sizes":false,"excluded_sport_ids":null,"slick":false,"dfp":false,"sidearm_dfp":false,"common_page":false,"html_template":null,"name":null,"autoplay_speed":0,"accessibility_icons":false,"sizes":null,"slick_options":null,"dfp_sizes":null,"campaigns":[],"content_id":null,"content_title":null,"content_date":null,"content_url":null,"content_image_url":null,"mode":"web"; if (!("sidearmComponents" in window)) window.sidearmComponents = []; window.sidearmComponents.push(obj); Related Story Content var obj = "start":0,"count":10,"name":"story-template-general-1-1","sport_id":null,"count_breakpoints":null,"css_class":"","pinned_id":"","extra":,"context":null,"dummy":false,"type":"ads","id":"a26d1be7-3e78-4c53-9dbf-04aae5edab5f","data":"location":"id":0,"title":null,"type":null,"effect":null,"fixed_image_sizes":false,"excluded_sport_ids":null,"slick":false,"dfp":false,"sidearm_dfp":false,"common_page":false,"html_template":null,"name":null,"autoplay_speed":0,"accessibility_icons":false,"sizes":null,"slick_options":null,"dfp_sizes":null,"campaigns":[],"content_id":null,"content_title":null,"content_date":null,"content_url":null,"content_image_url":null,"mode":"web"; if (!("sidearmComponents" in window)) window.sidearmComponents = []; window.sidearmComponents.push(obj); Story Links Related Videos Now Playing: Play Video
eebf2c3492