Cisco VPN Client (3.5) with Windows XP Home Edition

Mike Ceigler

Apr 16, 2002, 4:01:12 PM4/16/02
I have tried several times, with no success to install
Cisco's VPN Client 3.5 on my new PC. When I start the
VPN client I am immediately told
"The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You will
not be able to make a connection to the remote IPSec
server." If I proceed I get a message
"System Error: Connection Manager failed to respond."

It seems like the VPN dialer is trying to start a task,
but it cannot find what it needs.

Cisco's IPSec Log Viewer provides the following:
1 23:54:49.262 04/10/02 Sev=Warning/3
DIALER/0xE3300006
GI process failed "GI_ERROR_IPC_FAILURE" (FFFFFFF8h).

2 23:54:50.169 04/10/02 Sev=Warning/3
DIALER/0xE330000C
GI get status callback timed out.

I feel that it is something simple. Is the necessary
interface not supported by the Home Edition? Will
upgrading to the Professional Edition solve my problem.

Thank you

kk7gw

Apr 16, 2002, 8:11:11 PM4/16/02
3.5...is this the absolute latest Cisco client? Older
Cisco clients were not compatible with XP, you may want
to check and see if there is a newer one available.

Aside from that, there's really not enough information
here to tell anything.

>.

Lin

Apr 22, 2002, 4:47:05 PM4/22/02
I too have been trying to use the Cisco VPN client 3.5.1
on XP. You should be able to install correctly on XP Home
but depending on what you need to do otherwise (join a
domain, etc)you may need to upgrade to XP Pro, I did.

Now, first: did you ever get an error nessage about your
ICS? If not, it sounds like maybe the installation is
using compatibility mode? (I got your same error when
trying to install in NT mode).

Try uninstalling the VPN software and restoring your
system to before you began this.

Then explore the Cisco CD for the "setup.exe" file. right-
click for properties, go to "compatibilty" tab and be sure
it is NOT checked (this will let the program recognize
your box as XP).

Then (do not reboot) re-try installation, if you have ICS
errors, I have a fix for that too, let me know?

Feel free to email me directly in addition to posting to
this group!

>.

Ron

Apr 25, 2002, 9:56:31 PM4/25/02
The Cisco web site says only Cisco VPN client 3.1 and
higher work with XP.
>.

Wayne Mery

May 6, 2002, 12:02:16 PM5/6/02
"Mike Ceigler" <mcei...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<2dd901c1e581$752ed570$a5e62ecf@tkmsftngxa07>...

As others have said, vpn 3.5 should install fine on your system. (I
just installed it on my home system this past weekend.)

"The necessary VPN subsystem is not available...connection to the
remote IPSec server. " usually means the Cisco VPN Service (cvpnd.exe)
is not running.

We ran into this problem here at work with 3-4 old windows 98
machines. In all cases, cvpnd.exe was run during machine boot, but
the program encountered a failure due to conflicts with other
services/programs that had already initialized on the machine (the
failure message of course was never visible to the user).

I don't recall if our problem was with netware or something else the
user had on their machine.

Anyway, the temporary solution was to run cvpnd.exe manually, then run
the VPN application. One potential path for you is to disable
everything that initializes on booting on the machine and ensure
cvpnd.exe (and then VPN) runs successfully in a 'clean' environment.