TO GRAHAM/PAPAJOHN: Need help with DV connection to MM2.1

bob

Nov 25, 2004, 9:33:02 PM11/25/04
Graham, in the 11-15-04 post named "Windows Movie Maker - Capture" you
requested that a new thread be started regarding this subject. Below is the
summary of the problem as described in a 11-11-04 post in the "Windows Movie
Maker" Newsgroup. The problem is described in an 11-18-04 post titled "SP2
causes MM2 failure?"

There have been numerous other posts regarding this from other frustrated
users. Look, I'm new to this but in what I've read guys like yourself and
Papajohn seem to be very knowledgable and could probably figure this one out.
I know that a lot of people would be helped if you could. Basically, I
think that SP2 has done something to foul up firewire connections, i.e., DV
cameras and A/V capture devices. BUT I don't know for sure. Can you offer
any help?

Below is the post from 11-11-04:

"Graham, I just restored the system, reinstalled SP2 and I get the same
problem. The PC recognizes the devices (Sony Camera and the Pyro A/V link)
but I get the "class not registered error" and when I click next I get
"Unknown Error" in MM2.1 when trying to capture video.

Additionally, when I look at the properties of each device from the
"Scanners and Cameras" in "Control Panel", I get an error "Video preview
failed". I am truly stumped and am to the point of grovelling for help.

Everything has worked perfectly in the past, I do not know what has
happened. Should I have not restored the system?

Thanks,

Bob

"bob" wrote:

> OK... I will post back on the results. Thanks for your help!
>
> Bob
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Reinstall sp2. Then check back with info. I'll do some searching, as the cam
> > is recognised in my computer the connection is ok, it's a MM problem.
> >
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Graham, I am connecting with a firewire. The computer recognizes the
> > > Camcorder (in My Computer), but will not allow the connection in MM2.1 (it
> > > also would not capture an image in the Properties mode). I did a "system
> > > restore" to a point that I remember when I had used MM2 and the camera
> > was
> > > recognized. I had also removed SP2 before I did the system restore and
> > MM2
> > > still did not recognize the camera. I also use a capture device by ADS
> > (Pyro
> > > A/V Link) and it had the same problem as the camera did.
> > >
> > > I would like to undo the restore and reload SP2, but I am unsure if the
> > > camera and A/V capture device will ever work again.
> > >
> > > Any help you or anyone could give would be very much appreciated!

Graham Hughes

Nov 26, 2004, 2:06:10 PM11/26/04
OK Bob, thanks for that.
I'll do some research and get back to you.
In the mean time, if you don't already have them.
Update directx
reboot
Update wmp
reboot
Install windows media encoder
reboot
try cam.

Have you been able to try any other software to see if that can capture,
such as windv?
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=1165
scroll down for a link.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Graham Hughes

Nov 26, 2004, 2:09:05 PM11/26/04
Do you get any error codes at all?
Whereabouts are you in the world?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

Graham Hughes

Nov 26, 2004, 2:15:07 PM11/26/04
Lets also rule out all other possibilities.
Can you check your cam and cable on another pc which you know works with a
camcorder? This will rule out cam/cable fault.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

bob

Nov 26, 2004, 3:29:08 PM11/26/04
Graham, Thanks for your response. I reside in Birmingham,AL,USA. I get no
error codes just the error messages I described previously. I updated
Directx, WMP, and Windows Media Encoder. I tried the cam/cable on my wife's
computer (Dell 4100, XP Pro, SP2, MM2.1) and the camera worked perfectly
both in MM2.1 and in the Preview mode thru "My Computer".

After I did all the updating on my PC (Dell 4600, XP, SP2) I get the SAME
errors as before when trying to use the camera. I downloaded Win DV as you
suggested and I get a "Runtime Error" in WinDV when trying to capture from
the Sony.

Point of clarification: I not only get the error in MM2.1 with the Sony,
but also with the Pyro A/V device and errors for both devices when trying to
preview thru "my Computer" . Windows shows they are there but I get a
"Creation of Preview Video failed" error when doubleclicking on either of
them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bob

Graham Hughes

Nov 26, 2004, 3:49:48 PM11/26/04
OK, back on it.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Graham Hughes

Dec 1, 2004, 3:15:16 PM12/1/04
Did you have any software with the camera? Was this ever installed? Have you
looked for updates on this since SP2 install.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Graham Hughes" <gra...@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message

Graham Hughes

Dec 2, 2004, 4:44:16 AM12/2/04
OK,
Did any software come with the cam? Was it ever installed?
Try uninstalling the firewire drivers and rebooting the pc for it to find
the driver again and see if it works.
If not, try unistalling the drivers, turn off pc, remove firewire card,
reboot, turn off, refit firewire card, preferably in another slot and then
reboot.
Test.
If the firewire is onboard, you can't do this. So, it may pay to check for
updates to motherboard drivers and / or fit a pci firewire card.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

bob

Dec 2, 2004, 8:45:05 PM12/2/04
Graham, I did exactly as you suggested. I get the same errors as before.
There are no udpated drivers for my card. I'm stumped.

Bob

Graham Hughes

Dec 3, 2004, 4:28:48 PM12/3/04
Can you update me with what firewire connection you have, onboard or pci,
which make and full pc specs with makes of items if possible. List as much
as you can.
Did any software come with the cam? Was it ever loaded?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

bob

Dec 3, 2004, 6:23:05 PM12/3/04
Graham,

I have a pci firewire card with three external ports and one internal,
compusa brand SKU 274516. It worked fine prior to all this trouble.

System specs: Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.8Ghz, Windows XP Pro SP2, 2 Seagate
HDDs (160 gig and 40 gig), 512 mb RAM, Radeon 9200 video card (AGP), Turtle
Beach Santa Cruz sound card (PCI), ATI TV wonder tuner (PCI), HP 5470 scanner
(USB), HP 1012 Laserjet (USB), Logitech quickcam (USB), Microsoft wireless
optical mouse (USB), Microsoft keyboard (USB), ADS Pyro A/V link (firewire),
Plextor PX-708UF DVD writer(firewire), Sony DCR-HC40 Cam (firewire).,

There was no particular software (i.e. drivers) with the Sony cam, other
than some picture-editing software. The camera is recognized by Windows when
I plug it into the firewire port --- Shows "Sony DV" in "My Computer". I
have not loaded the Sony software on this PC. But I get the same errors with
the Pyro Link as with the cam. "Class not registered" error in Movie Maker
and "Creation of Video Preview Failed" when double-clicking the cam and Pyro
devices in "My Computer".

The Logitech cam works fine. The Plextor DVD writer works fine.

I appreciate you taking the time to help with this problem.

Bob

bob

Dec 3, 2004, 8:23:02 PM12/3/04
Graham, I just found this post in another forum and lo and behold it WORKS!!

Execute the following onthe Start -> Run dialog

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

it should result in "RegisterSever succeeded in qdv.dll" message. After
wards restart WMM and retry.

Restotre the DLL you downgraded.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for Windows Movie Maker

"Lavrans Schrøder" <lavr...@online.no> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I hav a problem while capturing av dv-tame from caemra to pc using
> Firewire. It all started after I installed SP2. When I try to capture,
> the preview window show colored block, and the image is jumping. It looks
> fine on the lcd on my camera. I have tried to overwrite the new msdv with
> an old one, but it dosn't seem to work. So any suggestions on what I
> should do? Please don't tell me to uninstall SP2.
>
> best regards
> Lavrans

Maybe you can communicate this to all those having similar problems. Seems
that the dlls were goofed up somehow. ANyway, both devices now work.

Bob

Graham Hughes

Dec 4, 2004, 4:36:44 AM12/4/04
Great. I have made a note of it for future reference and passed it on to the
MM team.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"bob" <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Graham Hughes

Dec 4, 2004, 2:34:17 PM12/4/04
Bob,
I've been told to make sure you have the latest directx installed, or check
it is ok, as it points to this as being part of the problem, so it may be
best to reinstall it anyway.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"Graham Hughes" <gra...@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message

bob

Dec 4, 2004, 4:25:02 PM12/4/04
Graham, I have updated DirectX to 9.0C. I think that is the latest available.

I also found this post on Papajohn's site:

"Rehan - The command was to re-register the proper DLL for handling DV AVI
files. Some other applications register their own version of the DLL to
handle this functionality. However this makes everything else to start using
their DLL breaking their functionality. The above command gives the control
back to the official DLL. "

Not sure what all that means, but it seems to be the fix for this particular
problem.

Thanks again, Graham,

Bob in Alabama

Jafis

Dec 9, 2004, 2:59:04 PM12/9/04
Hi Guys.

I read the thread because I am mnore or less experiencing the same problems.
Camera: DV Canon
PC: Dell 8300
Drive: Raid 0 - 240 GB
Mem: 1 GB
Video: ATI 9800 XT
Sound: Audigy 2

This has always worked until XPSP2. First I blamed my sound card driver
because the sound was distorted after booting the PC. I will spare you a lot
of details but I finally formatted my system and reinstalled everything.
Intentionally I did not upgrade any driver but installed it in "factory
state". I installed the necessary updates for XPSP1 but not SP2, I also
installed MM2.
If I switch on the camera imediatly a dialog box pos up asking what to do. I
tell to use MM and always do the same action. MM comes up and I can capture
footage, so everything works fine.
However the moment SP2 is installed and then switching on the camera, I hear
"clunk" twice and then nothing happens. It takes almost one minute before I
get a reaction from the system. In many occasions I do not get error messages
but the fun thing is that in the preview window for capturing footage, there
are no controls visible for the camera. If I operate it on the camera itself
nothing happens.

My wild guess is that somehow the 1394 driver is the blame ....

Regards, Hans

Jafis

Dec 18, 2004, 4:13:01 AM12/18/04
Solved the problem!!!!

Applied the workaround given in this link
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

/Hans

Z@discussions.microsoft.com Marko Z

Dec 18, 2004, 9:31:02 AM12/18/04
Hello!

I'm also having problems connecting my Sony camcorder with Dell Inspiron
5100, I have a firewire cable from Belkin (lifetime warranty) 6pin\4pin and
a adapter becuse my inspiron has a mini Firewire connector.
When I connect my cammera via firewire with my notebook nothing happens? No
sounds no nothing... I have winXP SP2, latest DirectX, Windows media encoder
and
OrangeWare WebcamDV....
I would like to use my Sony DCR TRV520E camera as a webcam, but for starters
it would be nice if windows would just recognize that I have a camcorder
attached to my notebook.
I'm desperate for help!!

Best regards!

p.s. the camera is powered by A/C and not battery and the cassete is out
and cameras demo option is off

Marko Z

Dec 18, 2004, 9:41:01 AM12/18/04
Oh! I have a IEEE1394 (400Mbs) so I'm not sure if the solutions on links
posted by Jafis are relevant for my problem?

Graham Hughes

Dec 23, 2004, 1:49:31 PM12/23/04
I would have just bought a 4-4 pin cable. Still, lets see about your
problem. When you connect how is the cam turned on, in record/playback?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Marko Z" <Marko Z...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Marko Z

Dec 24, 2004, 2:57:08 AM12/24/04
I also thought that a connection through the adapter is problematic, so I
bought the 4-4 pin cable and now it works just fine!
Thank you!

Graham Hughes

Dec 24, 2004, 5:24:40 PM12/24/04
Great, now record all those christmas highlights and enjoy your editing. :)

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media