How to find and delete duplicate files

Art Paul

Feb 5, 2003, 3:13:51 PM2/5/03
My operating system is Windows xp prof. Also installed is
Norton SystemWorks 2002 & Norton Personal Firewall 2002.
I used to be able to find, list and delete duplicate files
with a previous Ontrack Utilities program. Is there a way
to do so with the above current programs?

David Candy

Feb 5, 2003, 3:50:39 PM2/5/03
Windows XP comes with a program (same one as all prev versions) called dupfinder.exe. It's part of XP's support tools that you install from the CD seperately.

If that's too hard go to ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/DIAGNOSE/
and get the version there (slightly different name dupfindr.exe) which is the Win 98 Resource Kit version (it comes with all developers products and resource kits).

The other two pices of crap you have the NU (aka system works) one used to have a similar program. Might still have it.
--
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/05/1044318667024.html
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/ir/keynotes/documents/Keynotes-3.pdf

Mar 4, 2003, 12:18:26 PM3/4/03
If you go to Windows web site and search for Windows Support Tools, you can
download a package of apps not included in XP retail versions (and not
necessarily supported by M$). This package includes something called
dupfinder.exe that will install so that you can run from the command prompt
(hit start, run, and type dupfinder into the command line.) Once you run
the command, it does give you a graphically interfaced window... you don't
have to do it all in a command prompt window.

This will find duplicates in a fairly simple, featureless interface that
allows you to sort by name, folder, size, date, etc. much like explorer or
my computer for purposes of deleting or moving files manually. It does not
automate any of these tasks, but seems to find all the dupes. I was shocked
to see how many dupes I have floating around my computer.

This utility does not seem to give you any flexibility to search for just
files of a certain name or extension, jpgs, for example, or docs... it finds
ALL dupes. It does allow you to limit your search to a particular drive or
folder, so if you have multiple drives or you are networked, you don't have
to search entire structure if you don't want to. It does appear to search
an entire network if you have network drives mapped in my computer. I
haven't tried this yet.

lannykint

Sep 9, 2013, 1:23:34 PM9/9/13
Duplicate Files Deleter (http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com) is a simple, but effective tool to locate duplicate files in one or more selected search paths. It scans the files and compares them based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures 100% accuracy. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.