Re: Windows XP Newsgroup ?

mechanic

Dec 14, 2021, 6:04:38 AM12/14/21
On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:16:22 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 05:53:21 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 06:44:28, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net>
>>wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):

>>>Do you mean alt.comp.os.wwindows-xp?
>>>
>>Or microsoft.public.windowsxp.general? (Which now has nothing to do with
>>Microsoft.)
>
> I suppose one should subscribe to both, just to be on the safe side.

To any XP user, 'safe' is a foreign country.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Dec 14, 2021, 7:53:00 AM12/14/21
On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 09:16:22, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 05:53:21 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 06:44:28, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net>
>>wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):

>>>Do you mean alt.comp.os.wwindows-xp?
>>>
>>Or microsoft.public.windowsxp.general? (Which now has nothing to do with
>>Microsoft.)
>
>I suppose one should subscribe to both, just to be on the safe side.

Nothing to lose. There are - or have been - others; my list (which
includes, I think, ones going back to '95 or before) includes
0.verison.windowsxp, alt.binaries.cd.images.windows.xp,
alt.binaries.warez.winxp, alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.nl.is.windows-xp
and '.xp, alt.os.windows-xp (and various with that plus "for..." various
categories of people!), alt.os.windows.xp,
alt.os.windowsxp,alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp, alt.windows-xp,
fj.os.ms-windows.xp, free.it.comp.os.win.winxp, free.it.os.win.winxp,
it.comp.os.win.xp, lots of microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.*,
microsoft.public.dk.windowsxp, four microsoft.public.es.windowsxp.*,
microsoft.public.fr.windowsxp and five .*, similar (varying numbers)
with .jp., .nl. instead of .fr., microsoft.public.windowsxp and many .*
(probably about 100 of those), then with .za., mk.comp.os.windowsxp, and
probably others (my list has 825 with xp in, but that includes explorer
and other words).

Some of these probably only ever existed briefly (especially the "for
..." ones).

The above m.p.w.general seems to be about as active as one might expect
XP to be these days (i. e. quiet, but not dead); I don't think I've ever
subscribed to any of the others.

Easy reading is damned hard writing. -Nathaniel Hawthorne, writer (1804-1864)

RecentlyOrLately

Dec 21, 2021, 9:55:56 AM12/21/21
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

is the popular one.

mechanic

Dec 21, 2021, 11:02:44 AM12/21/21
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:55:52 -0800, RecentlyOrLately wrote:

> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>
> is the popular one.

For some weird definition of 'popular'.

Brian Gregory

Dec 22, 2021, 1:08:55 PM12/22/21
But there are so many other microsoft.public.windowsxp.* groups that
you'd need to join just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Ant

Dec 22, 2021, 9:21:55 PM12/22/21
But they're mostly quiet compared to W7 and W10. :P
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. again. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |

Paul

Dec 22, 2021, 9:24:58 PM12/22/21
In rough round numbers, there used to be 3000 microsoft.* groups
in a private hierarchy.

After the great cleanup, this was reduced to 2000. Some
of the groups had not had posts for around 2 years or so,

After this, Microsoft closed their own hierarchy, without sending
signed rmgroup() commands. For many administrators, they would simply
accept these and the groups would disappear.

Because Microsoft did not do the right things, the groups languish
at the favor of the individual administrators. Administrators still
sweep house once in a while, and say, those alt.* groups created could
be removed if the traffic isn't there.

Not even all the vanity alt groups were removed. Although at one time,
perhaps a hundred thousand groups that had been created by users, needed
to be removed. Not all of them disappeared, just most of them.

A given group exists, unless you give someone an incentive to remove it.

Paul

mechanic

Dec 23, 2021, 10:40:15 AM12/23/21
On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 21:24:14 -0500, Paul wrote:

> After this, Microsoft closed their own hierarchy, without sending
> signed rmgroup() commands. For many administrators, they would simply
> accept these and the groups would disappear.

And now we're stuck without a DOS5 group!

Frank Slootweg

Dec 23, 2021, 2:25:18 PM12/23/21
Nope, we're not! There are even Real Big8 (TM) groups, instead of that
alt and microsoft crap! :-)

comp.os.msdos.apps Discussion of applications that run under MS-DOS.
comp.os.msdos.misc Miscellaneous topics about MS-DOS machines.
comp.os.msdos.programmer Programming MS-DOS machines.

I'm subscribed to .apps and .misc. There's of course little activity,
but once in a while there still are (on topic) posts. And there are also
some more comp.os.msdos.* groups.

Ant

Dec 23, 2021, 7:51:31 PM12/23/21
Same for apple2 newsgroups. Newsgroups have many OLD stuff. Not many for
newer stuff. Sure, they have Windows 11 on SOME usenet servers.
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, rain, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. again. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D

mechanic

Dec 24, 2021, 1:32:51 PM12/24/21
Think they'd be any good on DosBox + OpenGEM systems?

Frank Slootweg

Dec 24, 2021, 1:52:07 PM12/24/21
I don't know. Some people were rather strict about the charter and
would for example frown upon questions about running things in a Command
Prompt window on Windows, but others were/are way more lax and welcome
most anything. So just try and see.

FWIW, I had never heard about OpenGEM before your post, so I learned
somethin! :-).

mechanic

Dec 25, 2021, 10:25:28 AM12/25/21
On 24 Dec 2021 18:52:01 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> FWIW, I had never heard about OpenGEM before your post, so I learned
> somethin! :-).

It was featured in a recent Lunduke Journal post, which prompted me
to try it (GEM) again, it was a staple in the early days before
Win3.1