Numeric Keypad Not Working?

(PeteCresswell)

Aug 16, 2012, 10:45:37 AM8/16/12
Num Lock ==> "Num Lock On" dialog pops, but numeric keypad not
working.

Worked a week ago, but not now.

At first, I thought "Hardware", so I swapped out the keyboard for
an identical one.

Nope...

OK, something to do with the driver, right?

Uninstalled/reinstalled the Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard
thingie.... but no joy.

I'm coming around to thinking it's some really basic dumb thing
that I'm doing/not doing.... as in having fat-fingered some other
Mode key somewhere that turns off Numeric Keypad in Windows.

But what?

Anybody been here?
--
Pete Cresswell

Ken

Aug 16, 2012, 1:04:34 PM8/16/12
Try booting to a DOS screen and trying your keyboard. If it works, then
you know it is within Windows that the problem lies.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Aug 18, 2012, 9:38:10 AM8/18/12
Good advice.

1. Is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard? (I'd say try it on another computer,
but since you've swapped "out" [how is that different from just
"swapped"?] another keyboard, that is likely to be irrelevant.)

2. When you say it "doesn't work", what happens - nothing, or it just
behaves as if Num Lock is off, i. e. it functions like the arrow keys
and sixpack.

3. When you say '"Num Lock On" dialog pops', that sounds like you mean
something on screen: does this keyboard not have an actual Num Lock
light (is it a wireless keyboard)?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

> > Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you. -Richard

(PeteCresswell)

Aug 18, 2012, 12:43:50 PM8/18/12
Per J. P. Gilliver (John):
>1. Is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard? (I'd say try it on another computer,
>but since you've swapped "out" [how is that different from just
>"swapped"?] another keyboard, that is likely to be irrelevant.)

USB and wireless.

>2. When you say it "doesn't work", what happens - nothing, or it just
>behaves as if Num Lock is off, i. e. it functions like the arrow keys
>and sixpack.

With NumLock off, it behaves as expected: "3"==>PgDn, "9"==>PgUp,
"/", "*", "-" work... and so-forth.

But with NumLock on, nothing seems to happen.

>3. When you say '"Num Lock On" dialog pops', that sounds like you mean
>something on screen: does this keyboard not have an actual Num Lock
>light (is it a wireless keyboard)?

No, no NumLock light. I'm guessing that the dialog is thrown by
Microsoft's "MicroSoft Keyboard" applet or some related driver.
--
Pete Cresswell

glee

Aug 18, 2012, 4:33:06 PM8/18/12
"(PeteCresswell)" <x...@y.Invalid> wrote in message
Start> Control Panel> Accessibility Options> Mouse tab, make sure "Use
MouseKeys" is not checked. Also click the Settings button, and uncheck
the "Use Shortcut" box. Click OK all the way out. See if that corrects
the problem.

If that doesn't fix it, have you used a keyboard remapping utility, or
manually modified the Registry to remap any keys? You may have disabled
the NumLock key that way. Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
If you have a "Scancode Map" value with associated binary data, you have
done some sort of keyboard remapping.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-wikis-components-files/00-00-00-00-05/3007.keyboardlayout.PNG

Export (backup to a .reg file) the Keyboard Layout key, then delete it.
Reboot.
See if that fixes the Numlock key issue. If not, you can always import
the saved .reg file.

Further reading on remapping:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2007/05/04/i-ve-hit-f12-for-the-last-time.aspx

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

glee

Aug 18, 2012, 4:36:42 PM8/18/12
"glee" wrote in message >
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-wikis-components-files/00-00-00-00-05/3007.keyboardlayout.PNG
>
> Export (backup to a .reg file) the Keyboard Layout key, then delete
> it.
> Reboot.
> See if that fixes the Numlock key issue. If not, you can always
> import the saved .reg file.

SORRY! Do NOT delete the Keyboard Layout key, ONLY delete the Scancode
Map value and data!

glee

Aug 18, 2012, 4:38:03 PM8/18/12
Correction to my reply:
Do NOT delete the Keyboard Layout key, ONLY delete the Scancode Map
value and data!

Sorry for the typo/brain failure!

(PeteCresswell)

Aug 18, 2012, 6:12:37 PM8/18/12
Per glee:
>Start> Control Panel> Accessibility Options> Mouse tab, make sure "Use
>MouseKeys" is not checked.

Bingo!!!!!!!

Dunno how I managed to set it, but "Set" it was...

Thanks!

Chances of my ever doping that one out were somewhere between
zero and none...
--
Pete Cresswell

glee

Aug 18, 2012, 7:57:04 PM8/18/12
"(PeteCresswell)" <x...@y.Invalid> wrote in message
You're welcome!

If the shortcut was enabled, MouseKeys would have become enabled if you
hit the ALT+SHIFT+NumLock key combination. Some fat-fingering might
have gotten you there and if you were typing fast, you might have
dismissed the on-screen notification before you ever saw it.

Does someone else use your computer? Some people enable MouseKeys for
playing a game, using some of the numeric keys for controlling the mouse
cursor.

(PeteCresswell)

Aug 18, 2012, 8:07:44 PM8/18/12
Per glee:

>Does someone else use your computer? Some people enable MouseKeys for
>playing a game, using some of the numeric keys for controlling the mouse
>cursor.

Not any more. That excuse is no longer available to me.... -)

FWIW, I used to have a teenager pounding on it a couple hours
every day.

From that, I took away some habits about imaging a "Good" system,
keeping data and system separate, and re-imaging as soon as
anything seemed the least bit strange.

Was about to re-image in this case, but I got stubborn since I
was pretty sure it was just Yours Truly doing something dumb...
--
Pete Cresswell

Bill in Co

Aug 19, 2012, 2:10:27 AM8/19/12
glee wrote:
> Correction to my reply:
> Do NOT delete the Keyboard Layout key, ONLY delete the Scancode Map value
> and data!
>
> Sorry for the typo/brain failure!

Maybe you've been doing too much acid, while trippin' to Janis Joplin and
Jimi Hendrix?? Didn't I suggest laying off all that 60's psychedic acid
rock stuff, and getting with the times? LOL.

glee

Aug 19, 2012, 11:19:07 PM8/19/12
"Bill in Co" <surly_cu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Groovy.... but the times you want me to get with, are too far back! ;-)

Xavier Wolf Mundo

Sep 20, 2022, 8:32:40 AM9/20/22
This really helped me, problem fixed. I had mouse keys turned on. Thank you very much, I had been looking for the solution for a while.

Mayuf

Dec 15, 2022, 5:01:40 AM12/15/22
Cek tutorial di https://www.mayuf.id/