Apple survelliance

gfre...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 2:24:25 AM8/8/21
Apple announces it will install software on your I-Phone to scan for
objectionable content.
What happened to that unbreakable Apple encryption? I guess there is a
back door for Apple.
I don't really have a dog in this fight, I am just curious how Apple
fans feel. Android is probably next and I don't have one of them
either.

R.Wieser

Aug 8, 2021, 5:11:19 AM8/8/21
gfretwell,

> Apple announces it will install software on your I-Phone to scan
> for objectionable content.

Did they ? Or is that just some hyped-up (clickbait) conclusion of some
third party wanting to make some money off of it ? I've seen several
webpages claiming the same, though no link to Apple itself (saying anything
like it) anywhere.

> What happened to that unbreakable Apple encryption?

What good does encryption do anyone when Apple can get at the data before
its encrypted ?

> I guess there is a back door for Apple.

Yes. Its called "automatic updates".

> I am just curious how Apple fans feel.

The dumb ones ? Those go onto the barricades - even though they got exactly
what they payed for : an overpriced fragile bling-bling device they are not
even allowed to admin themselves and the actual managers have retained the
right (meh, who reads EULAs anyway?) to do whatever they please with it.

The smart ones ? Those realize that such a suggested snitch move would mean
a death sentence to Apple, as noone would trust them anymore and even be
afraid of them ("Give me six lines written by the most honest man in the
world, and I will find enough in them to hang him"). Hence, the chance of
it actually happening - out in the open or in secrecy - is near to zero.

> Android is probably next

Which is good news for manufacturers of dumb/feature phones and stand-alone
cameras.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Mayayana

Aug 8, 2021, 9:01:09 AM8/8/21
<gfre...@aol.com> wrote

| Apple announces it will install software on your I-Phone to scan for
| objectionable content.
| What happened to that unbreakable Apple encryption? I guess there is a
| back door for Apple.

Better than a backdoor: Pre-installed spyware doing God's
work. It will be on the phone itself so that files can be scanned
before they're encrypted. As Edward Snowden and the EFF
have pointed out, part of the outrage of this is the legal and
longterm implications. The problem is not just that they'll look for
child porn. The problem is that a precedent is being set that
you can be policed on your own property and your property
can be searched without a warrant... constantly... without
reasonable suspicion and without a court order. It then just
requires a minor tweak to start looking for, say, terrorism-related
words. Child porn and terrorism are foot-in-the-door issues for
people who find freedom "dangerous".

This is a blatant rejection of the 4th amendment.

The software for kids is scary in other ways. What if you
have a 15-year-old kid who's having sex? Then you get a
copy of nude photos the lovers are sending each other. If you
don't call the police, does that make you a child porn purveyor?
If one lover is 16 y.o., they will be guilty of rape in some states.
Have you just "aided and abetted" a rapist by letting your
kid have a lover? Are we all to be forced to become police
surveillance extensions? If the software makes a mistake,
how would you defend yourself? Apple found child porn item
N7TR5-SS17468 on your phone. Apple says the chance of error
is 1 in a trillion. So it's an open-and-shut case. You're going
to jail, buddyboy; you creep.

We've already got vast numbers of
home surveillance cameras reporting to police. Now your
phone will be surveilled. How would anyone then justify not
letting the inside of your home be surveilled? Once that's
allowed, how does anyone defend not installing the cameras
themselves? Have they got something to hide? As Google's
Erci Schmidt says, if you don't want to be spied on then
maybe you shouldn't be doing what you're doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e7wfDHzew

Ironically, the justification for this pre-installed spyware
is that the photos on Apple's servers are encrypted so they
can't be surveilled. But companies renting/lending cloud
storage space have no right to rifle through your files in
the first place, any more than a landlord has a right to
rummage through your closet. This is an end run by gov't
extremists: Get tech companies to spy because the legal status
of digital trespass is vaguely defined. Then pressure those
companies to share their data. And presto! You've got
semi-legal, totalitarian surveillance in a democracy.

We all have a dog in that fight. There could come a time
when you're not allowed to travel without your cellphone, which
will contain the record of your activities. A kind of soft fascism.
Even now people are assuming everyone has a cellphone. When
I went for my 2nd COVID shot I brought a printed copy of
the appt email, as directed. But I didn't have it on a cellphone.
So I had to go through a special, extra step, subjected
to proving my identity. There was no possible reason for such
"security". There's no security to ID via email in the first place.
I had a printed copy of the appt email and I was showing up at
the appointed time. But officials want to normalize the computerization
of society... because that's what officials do.

Paul

Aug 8, 2021, 11:16:34 AM8/8/21
Maybe some day, phones will lose their little cameras,
and you'll make phone calls with them ? Kooky.

Flip-phones for the win.

Between the scraping when you cross the border, and
all this cloak and dagger shit, what's the point of
carrying a fondle slab again ?

I'm going to run off and take pouty pictures of myself
and see if I can win the hash check jackpot now. If you
take enough pictures of yourself, eventually there will be
a false positive.

They made a random number generator, out of lava lamps, and
you could set your iPhone to take a picture of that once
a second. And burn out the NAND.

https://hackaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/lava.png?w=800 [lavarnd]

Paul

Jeff Barnett

Aug 8, 2021, 12:00:36 PM8/8/21
Be still my heart. The lava lamp survives into the 21st Century!
--
Jeff Barnett

John Dulak

Aug 12, 2021, 12:59:15 PM8/12/21
On 8/8/2021 12:00 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:

> Be still my heart. The lava lamp survives into the 21st Century!

Jeff:

And you can still buy new ones!!

https://www.sciplus.com/s/?q=lava+lamp

John