"services.exe terminated unexpectedly" on boot

iva...@spamcop.net

Jul 21, 2006, 7:49:28 PM7/21/06
Hi all,

I'm having a serious problem. I just installed Windows XP SP2 on my
desktop (Windows Professional). Now when I boot up, right after I've
logged in but before my desktop appears, I get the following error
message:

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progerss and log
off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Message: The system process
"C:\Windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status
code -1073741784. The system will now shut down and restart."

Then it just hangs - doesn't restart, won't let me do anything else.

Fortunately, I can still boot into safe mode w/ networking, so I've
been googling this for a few hours now, and here's what I've tried,
based on things I've googled:
- ms registry fix -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318447
- installing this security bulletin -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-039.mspx
- disable all non MS services via msconfig

I can't run Windows Update because it gives an error when I go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and try to search for needed
updates.

I tried doing a system restore to the point before installing SP2 ...
but the problem persists, and now it tells me that system restore can
no longer help me. I'm flummoxed.

I can do a fresh install, but I need to rescue my files first; I have a
second hard drive mounted, and I could move my important stuff there
... if only I could drag and drop in safe mode. But I think I can
figure out the command line required for that.

So, what else can I try to get my system working again?

Help!
Ian Varley
iva...@spamcop.net