MP3 convert

Mayayana

Sep 9, 2022, 3:16:08 PM9/9/22
Anyone know about converting MP3s? I just got 2 new ones that
won't play in Media Player Classic, but they will play in Audacity.
It says in the EXIF data that it's "Version 2", LAME 3.96.1. An MP3
that works fine is Version 1, LAME 3.1. I don't see any way in Audacity
to convert to the older format.

JJ

Sep 9, 2022, 11:11:36 PM9/9/22
ffmpeg should be a catch-all solution.

Paul in Houston TX

Sep 9, 2022, 11:53:13 PM9/9/22
Mayayana, where can I find an example of a mp3 that will not play for
you using MPC?

I use MPC 64 as one of my mp3 players and have never found a mp3 that it
would not play. Also, I have 4 different versions of Lame installed and
active, including Lame_enc64.

My fav player / stream recorder is still FreeAmp, written in year 2000
although sometimes I use Screamer 64 bit for stream recording and
playing. I use Goldwave 32 bit for all music manipulation / editing.

Paul

Sep 10, 2022, 9:05:43 AM9/10/22
The software has a history, that is about as long as
a copy of War and Peace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic

While not every version will run on WinXP, you might
still be able to bump your version along enough to fix it.

Paul

rmani...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2022, 10:10:56 AM9/10/22
try VLC

Mayayana

Sep 10, 2022, 10:50:29 AM9/10/22
Answering all here for clarity. Thanks for your efforts.
I have the last MPC. I've had trouble with VLC on XP and
finally gave up on it.

Weird thing: Yesterday I downloaded MP3s. Each one
would start for a few seconds, then jump to the end. Ohther
audi ran OK in MPC. The downloads played OK in Audacity.
Today they seem to be fine. I can't explain it. Maybe MPC
loaded funky? Apparently the Lame version wasn't an issue.

Thanks anyway.