what is MS hlpsrv ?

Aoli

Dec 22, 2021, 10:54:00 AM12/22/21
Help Service was eating 58% of CPU.

I killed it.

What is it and why eat so much CPU ?

Mayayana

Dec 22, 2021, 12:30:36 PM12/22/21
"Aoli" <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote

| What is it and why eat so much CPU ?

I find no such service on my system. Nor do I find it
in the Black Adder listing. hh.exe runs when you open
a help file.

Maybe you're talking about the Windows
help system? I always uninstall System File Protection
on XP, which also breaks Windows Help and PCHealth.
So the service in question could be part of that.

JJ

Dec 22, 2021, 12:31:20 PM12/22/21
It's probably reindexing the help database due to added, removed or changed
help files; or broken index file.

Aoli

Dec 22, 2021, 6:22:44 PM12/22/21
On Win Xp Pro 32bit

Sorry I mistyped the name.

It is HELPSVC.EXE

Mayayana

Dec 22, 2021, 7:21:21 PM12/22/21
"Aoli" <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote

| Sorry I mistyped the name.
|
| It is HELPSVC.EXE

Yes, that's part of "PCHealth". Not malicious. It's tied in with
the system info applet and system file protection. So it needs
to scan your disk regularly. That's the function that will replace
things like media player if you delete them, from a hidden storage
folder of backups.

Personally I hate SFP and can't remember ever getting useful
info from Windows help. If you want to keep all that you can, if
you want to get rid of it, just run this in your Run window:

rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132
C:\WINDOWS\INF\PCHealth.inf

(One space between 132 and C:. It's all one line. You
can also reinstall by running it without "Un", but
I think it will ask for an XP CD.)

Aoli

Dec 23, 2021, 11:48:53 AM12/23/21

I read that HELPSVC.EXE was known to run away with CPU cycles.
I did not see what the fix was.
Have you seen anything regarding a fix ?

Shadow

Dec 23, 2021, 1:11:02 PM12/23/21
On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:48:46 -0800, Aoli <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote:

>I read that HELPSVC.EXE was known to run away with CPU cycles.
>I did not see what the fix was.
>Have you seen anything regarding a fix ?

The problem with top posting is you tend to not read the text.
Mayayana posted the fix below. Read again.
[]'s

>Mayayana wrote:
>> "Aoli" <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote
>>
>> | Sorry I mistyped the name.
>> |
>> | It is HELPSVC.EXE
>> |

>> Yes, that's part of "PCHealth". Not malicious. It's tied in with
>> the system info applet and system file protection. So it needs
>> to scan your disk regularly. That's the function that will replace
>> things like media player if you delete them, from a hidden storage
>> folder of backups.
>>
>> Personally I hate SFP and can't remember ever getting useful
>> info from Windows help. If you want to keep all that you can, if
>> you want to get rid of it, just run this in your Run window:

HERE:

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Mayayana

Dec 23, 2021, 1:53:47 PM12/23/21
"Aoli" <Ao...@Aoli.com> wrote

| I read that HELPSVC.EXE was known to run away with CPU cycles.
| I did not see what the fix was.
| Have you seen anything regarding a fix ?

As I said, I've never used it because I always uninstall
the whole mess, first thing, when I install XP. If you
don't want to do that then I don't know. You could check
and see if there's a services applet to disable, but I'm not
aware of any.