Error Message "Cannot Delete [file name]: Cannot find the specified file.

Jurie

Oct 6, 2003, 1:36:58 PM10/6/03
Hi there anybody,

I recently backed-up and restored a number of files and
folders. I deleted some of those files and folders but
three files could not be deleted and I got the
message: "Cannot Delete [file name]: Cannot find the
specified file" "Make sure you specify the correct path
and file name." It is also interesting that the right
click menu does not have the normal editing items - cut,
paste, rename etc. are not there.

The files are either a *.rtf or *.url file.

I tried command line deleting but it does not work. Do
anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Jurie

R. C. White

Oct 6, 2003, 2:22:04 PM10/6/03
Hi, Jurie.

A trick that usually works is to open a "DOS" window, use dir /x to find the
SFN (Short File Name, or 8.3 filename), and then delete that.

As always in "DOS", just type the command with /? to get a mini-help file
for that command: dir /?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA