OK, I guess I'm registered for Windows Live. How do I post?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 7:06:51 PM12/4/09
to
I've gotten into Windows Live after acquiring a userid and passwd. I can
see it says I'm signed-in, but the page a started from seems to think
there's a temporary problem. By a direct route, I got to the Windows XP
Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP) Forum. I ended up
creating a displayable user name, and in the upper right corner it shows
I'm signed on. However, I see no way to post. How do I do that? Am I not
really signed on?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 10:20:07 PM12/4/09
to
Go to http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads

Click on 'Ask a question' and follow instructions. Paste the contents of
the log you saved into your first post.

Repost:

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on the Validate
Windows and/or Validate Office button then restart your computer.

If you weren't able to Validate, proceed as follows:

1. Download this diagnostic tool, saving it to your desktop:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

=> WinXP: Double-click on the executable to run the tool.

=> Vista & Win7: Right-click on the executable and select Run as
Administrator to run the tool.

2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or Office tab as
appropriate and then click on Copy to Clipboard.

NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the contents of your
clipboard into it & save for future reference.

3. Begin a new post in the appropriate Microsoft Genine Advantage forum and
paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed post:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine

4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an
appropriate solution.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 11:25:54 PM12/4/09
to
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Go to http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads
>
> Click on 'Ask a question' and follow instructions. Paste the contents
> of the log you saved into your first post.
>
> Repost:
...

> 3. Begin a new post in the appropriate Microsoft Genine Advantage forum
> and paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed post:
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine
>
> 4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an
> appropriate solution.
>
>
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> I've gotten into Windows Live after acquiring a userid and passwd. I can
>> see it says I'm signed-in, but the page a started from seems to think
>> there's a temporary problem. By a direct route, I got to the Windows XP
>> Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP) Forum. I ended up
>> creating a displayable user name, and in the upper right corner it shows
>> I'm signed on. However, I see no way to post. How do I do that? Am I not
>> really signed on?
>
I did that. You had it above. I'm on your 3, and have choosen
"http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine"

What do I press to create a new msg, post or new?

I noticed a FAQ. It shows how. Ask a Question near the top right. Cute!
Arghh. Everyone has to do it their way. I now see you stated at the top,
Ask a Question. OK, let me just continue.

I just posted. Let's hope this works. Thanks.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 3:08:53 AM12/5/09
to
$5 says this is your thread:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4b517405-40f4-4ad9-962b-290f092b4c79

<QP>
...Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the
Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.
</QP>
Source:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/931e3884-0cba-4973-b2f1-becf0496bac5

You posted a log but no question or commentary. Why didn't you include the
reason for posting the log and the rest of this computer's history? The
experts there are likely to take one look at your post and then ignore it.


Do you realize that you're very often your own worst enemy?


W. eWatson wrote:
<snip>

Daave

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 9:15:23 AM12/5/09
to
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> $5 says this is your thread:
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4b517405-40f4-4ad9-962b-290f092b4c79
>
> <QP>
> ...Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on
> the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your
> question. </QP>
> Source:
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/931e3884-0cba-4973-b2f1-becf0496bac5
>
> You posted a log but no question or commentary. Why didn't you
> include the reason for posting the log and the rest of this
> computer's history? The experts there are likely to take one look at
> your post and then ignore it.
>
> Do you realize that you're very often your own worst enemy?

I agree with this assessment!

W. eWatson, you really should explain that you have been unable to
activate (I still think the probable cause is a character or more was
typed incorrectly). A link to your thread would also help:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/50212a1d12c30c8b/25036f2ded18f496?hl=en&q=

Or you could just start from scratch with a Clean Install, making sure
your PC is conneced to the Internet and choose to activate during the
installation process (rather than putting it off...), thus avoiding a
keyboard error.


W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 11:43:48 AM12/5/09
to
>
> Do you realize that you're very often your own worst enemy?
>
>
Pardon me, but I think you should do some introspection yourself.
You seemed to have missed the fact expressed above that I posted after
stumbling around with "ask".

It is now 12 plus hours and no one has responded.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 11:45:09 AM12/5/09
to
See my post moments ago to Bear.

Daave

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 1:01:13 PM12/5/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> See my post moments ago to Bear.

PA Bear had stated the following:

> $5 says this is your thread:
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4b517405-40f4-4ad9-962b-290f092b4c79
>
> <QP>
> ...Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on
> the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your
> question. </QP>
> Source:
> http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/931e3884-0cba-4973-b2f1-becf0496bac5
>
> You posted a log but no question or commentary. Why didn't you
> include the reason for posting the log and the rest of this
> computer's history? The experts there are likely to take one look at
> your post and then ignore it.


Is he correct? Or is he looking at someone else's thread? If he's
correct, he's informing you that you neglected to include your question
or *any* commentary for that matter. When most people see such a post,
they tend to skip over it because it looks like a mistake.

Fortunately for you, "Dan at IT Associates" has responded. Hopefully you
will "reply with detailing info about the problems."

FWIW, I *still* think you made entered at least one character wrong on
the keyboard...

If you decide to start from scratch, do yourself a favor and activate
online when you are first presented the opportunity!


W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 1:41:41 PM12/5/09
to

> FWIW, I *still* think you made entered at least one character wrong on
> the keyboard...
>
> If you decide to start from scratch, do yourself a favor and activate
> online when you are first presented the opportunity!
>
>

I think we can now safely disperse and go onto something else. I am
activated. The person on the forum basically said here are the ways you
can activate. The easiest one was via the internet. I used it and it
worked--this time. I didn't have to enter any product code. I have no
idea why it didn't work 7-10 days ago when I tried it and reported the
failure here.

Post-mortem Note:
When a thread gets so long winded like this one, I begin wondering if
the people on the other end physically see the posts same way I see the
messages displayed.

I use Thunderbird. Typically, I see an ever spreading tree of messages.
After awhile it begins to get difficult to to say who is saying what,
let alone recall what they said. Perhaps there's a way to display them
so that I can only see, for example, all the message from Bear that were
went to me. Sorting the posts by names isn't going to work. If I looked
at Bear's posts they would show posts to others as well.

Regardless, good cheer and thanks.

Daave

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 2:08:08 PM12/5/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
>> FWIW, I *still* think you made entered at least one character wrong
>> on the keyboard...
>>
>> If you decide to start from scratch, do yourself a favor and activate
>> online when you are first presented the opportunity!
>>
>>
>
> I think we can now safely disperse and go onto something else. I am
> activated.

Hooray!

> The person on the forum basically said here are the ways
> you can activate. The easiest one was via the internet.

That sounds very familiar. ;-)

> I used it and
> it worked--this time. I didn't have to enter any product code.

Correct. You had already entered the Product Key. Once is enough. :-)

> I have
> no idea why it didn't work 7-10 days ago when I tried it and reported
> the failure here.

Perhaps you weren't online. It can be any number of reasons. The easiest
thing to do is simply try again.

> Post-mortem Note:
> When a thread gets so long winded like this one, I begin wondering if
> the people on the other end physically see the posts same way I see
> the messages displayed.

Some (probably most) do. Others don't (maybe they use a clunky Web
interface, or maybe some posts simply don't propagate). Some choose to
see only new posts.

> I use Thunderbird. Typically, I see an ever spreading tree of
> messages. After awhile it begins to get difficult to to say who is
> saying what, let alone recall what they said. Perhaps there's a way
> to display them so that I can only see, for example, all the message
> from Bear that were went to me. Sorting the posts by names isn't
> going to work. If I looked at Bear's posts they would show posts to
> others as well.

If it's difficult, all I can think to suggest is re-read (i.e., skim)
it.

If you want to see Bear's posts, I would just scroll up and down (within
your thread). There should be a From column and you should be able to
see all his posts that way.

I like to sort by Date Sent, with the older posts at the top. Everyone
has their own preference.

> Regardless, good cheer and thanks.

YW.


W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 3:27:17 PM12/5/09
to
My best guess as to why the internet activate didn't work the first time
is that I hadn't really finished the install. I recall some days later
that I happened to wander into the install somehow, and noticed a
message that wanted my approval to finish.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 5:33:39 PM12/5/09
to

ANONYMOUS

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 5:57:39 PM12/5/09
to

You just need to sign in, post your query, pay $10 for each query and
Pig-Bear (78 year old geriatric) will do his part to humiliate you,
insult you and call you all sorts of names because he thinks all M$
customers are stupid nutters.

hth

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 9:46:48 PM12/5/09
to
Please look at the post I made earlier today, about 8 hours ago. It's
activated.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 6, 2009, 2:07:33 AM12/6/09
to
And did you bother to tell that to Dan in your forum thread yet?
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages