Re: Subject: Need Simple Firewall For "Calling Home" Junk

Mayayana

Oct 2, 2022, 3:34:41 PM10/2/22
<Ha...@justhere.com> wrote

| Which simple firewall can I use on My Win 7 Pro comp to keep proggies
| from sending out info?

I use Online Armour Free on XP.

Private Firewall 7 on 7:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/privatefirewall.html

On 10 I think I have Tiny Firewall 2.1.8. They all allow
me to restrict by process.

Paul in Houston TX

Oct 2, 2022, 7:15:58 PM10/2/22
Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> I use Sygate Personal Firewall on my XP machine to keep programs from
> calling home.
>
> Which simple firewall can I use on My Win 7 Pro comp to keep proggies
> from sending out info?
>
> I'm not looking for complexity. Just something simple.
>
> I don't trust most "free" stuff like Comodo, etc., because that crap
> in more spyware than protection.
>
> Thanks.

I have used Zone Alarm version 9.2.102.000 on W7 for years.
I've checked out others and always come back to the old ZA.
Don't bother with any ZA newer than that. IMO it's become spam, sales,
collect all your info, wear since then.
What you listed is what I use it for.

Ant

Oct 2, 2022, 8:34:16 PM10/2/22
Outpost Free 2009 is what I used back then. I used to use Kerio Personal
Firewall, but it kept blue screening.

--
Done with short neat Superhot game! Lots of new medias these days. Still dang old allergies, mosquito bites, and bodies. :(
| |o o| |

Paul in Houston TX

Oct 3, 2022, 2:17:34 AM10/3/22
Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> Found it here:
> https://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm-free-firewall/9.2.102.000/
>
> Do you run ZA with Windows 7 firewall on or off?

I almost forgot, the initial install also has a garbage ware option so
be sure to not install it. Pull the plug on the web before installing.
Let it auto find all the programs. You can change options later.

I ALWAYS have ZA running. You can set it for individual items. If I
install software I use ZA to turn off the internet first. Used to use
ZA on XP too but forgot the version number.
I've cross checked with WireShark, tcpview, cports, etc, and ZA seems to
be secure. It does not call home unless you specifically let it.

Paul in Houston TX

Oct 3, 2022, 7:57:48 PM10/3/22
Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 01:17:26 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> <Pa...@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> Ha...@justhere.com wrote:

>>> Found it here:
>>> https://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm-free-firewall/9.2.102.000/
>>>
>>> Do you run ZA with Windows 7 firewall on or off?
>>
>> I almost forgot, the initial install also has a garbage ware option so
>> be sure to not install it. Pull the plug on the web before installing.
>> Let it auto find all the programs. You can change options later.
>
> I always check for add-on junk when installing. Although, I don't
> trust they always are going to tell you the truth. That's why I do a
> System Restore and a registry save with Erunt before installing new
> stuff. And, if the program is a really "complicated" one that could
> wreak havoc, I do an AOMEI backup of the C: to an external HD drive.
> This has saved me more than once. It ain't that I couldn't afford some
> shop to put Windows back on a wreaked box, but re-installing tons of
> proggies back onto the C: is one of the biggest p.i.a. deals ever.
>
>> I ALWAYS have ZA running. You can set it for individual items. If I
>> install software I use ZA to turn off the internet first. Used to use
>> ZA on XP too but forgot the version number.
>> I've cross checked with WireShark, tcpview, cports, etc, and ZA seems to
>> be secure. It does not call home unless you specifically let it.
>>

> My question was: Do you keep Widows 7 firewall running with ZA? I
> know they say you shouldn't do that, but I do this with my XP firewall
> running concurrently with Sygate and there doesn't seem to be any
> problem.
>
> ?

Oh... I see. I turned off W7 default firewall years ago when I settled
on ZA. Having both is really unnecessary and probably not wise.
ZA is so much better then the Windows orig.

Paul in Houston TX

Oct 3, 2022, 7:58:02 PM10/3/22
Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 01:17:26 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
> <Pa...@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> Ha...@justhere.com wrote:

>>> Found it here:
>>> https://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm-free-firewall/9.2.102.000/
>>>
>>> Do you run ZA with Windows 7 firewall on or off?
>>
>> I almost forgot, the initial install also has a garbage ware option so
>> be sure to not install it. Pull the plug on the web before installing.
>> Let it auto find all the programs. You can change options later.
>
> I always check for add-on junk when installing. Although, I don't
> trust they always are going to tell you the truth. That's why I do a
> System Restore and a registry save with Erunt before installing new
> stuff. And, if the program is a really "complicated" one that could
> wreak havoc, I do an AOMEI backup of the C: to an external HD drive.
> This has saved me more than once. It ain't that I couldn't afford some
> shop to put Windows back on a wreaked box, but re-installing tons of
> proggies back onto the C: is one of the biggest p.i.a. deals ever.
>
>> I ALWAYS have ZA running. You can set it for individual items. If I
>> install software I use ZA to turn off the internet first. Used to use
>> ZA on XP too but forgot the version number.
>> I've cross checked with WireShark, tcpview, cports, etc, and ZA seems to
>> be secure. It does not call home unless you specifically let it.

Ant

Oct 4, 2022, 2:10:59 AM10/4/22
Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2022 00:34:06 +0000, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >Ha...@justhere.com wrote:
> >> I use Sygate Personal Firewall on my XP machine to keep programs from
> >> calling home.
> >
> >> Which simple firewall can I use on My Win 7 Pro comp to keep proggies
> >> from sending out info?
> >
> >> I'm not looking for complexity. Just something simple.
> >
> >> I don't trust most "free" stuff like Comodo, etc., because that crap
> >> in more spyware than protection.
> >
> >> Thanks.

> >Outpost Free 2009 is what I used back then. I used to use Kerio Personal
> >Firewall, but it kept blue screening.
> >

> I also did try both of those in the day, but Win 7 is a different
> animal.

For my 64-bit W7 HPE (we're in Windows XP newsgroup), I used PC Tools
Firewall v7.
--
Monday started somewhat slammy and then got slower. Still dang old spams, allergies, mosquito bites, bodies, etc. though. :(