Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 Compatibility

Sean G.

Jan 7, 2003, 3:11:01 PM1/7/03
I am having trouble with creating CD's with ADaptec's Easy CD Creator 4, and
my computer is telling me that there is a known compatibilty issue and to
contact the software provider (www.roxio.com) for resolution.
I am running Win XP Pro, and originally bought the computer with Me
installed, bundled with Easy CD creator 4. I was also told that XP has
native support for CD burning software, but every time I boot up, I am told
that these drivers will cause stability problems, and that they will not be
loaded.
This has only started recently when I tried to reinstall the EASy Cd Creator
4 to do a data backup, as XP told me it would need to be reinstalled in
order to work after the upgrade.

Rooting around on this website I find NOTHING for Easy CD Creator 4. I am
slowly beginning to think that they want me to purchase Easy CD creator 5,
for a mere $80!!

Whew....

My question is, is there anyway to resolve this problem without spending $80
on Easy CD Creator 5, reverting back to Me (I would rather sell organs than
do that), or without continuing the downward spiral??

Thanks.
Sean.

BTW, Roxio wants me to have a TSID number to offer support via e-mail, which
I do not have and would probably take all year to get from where I purchased
my computer.

Gizmo :-)

Jan 7, 2003, 3:52:19 PM1/7/03
As far as I was aware only version 5 is supported under XP. However you
could try updating V4 to the latest version (if not already done so)

http://support.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/ecdc/ecdc_software_updatesv4.jhtml

Remember to install as administrator AND XP does not support take two AND
disable any virus checkers when installing.

p.s Version 5 is much better though.

"Sean G." <dontb...@dontwantnospam.com> wrote in message

MK

Jan 7, 2003, 8:35:22 PM1/7/03
I am having the same problem with Adaptec. I ended up uninstalling both Easy
CD Creator and Direct CD. However, I now get a warning message from an icon
on the lower right toolbar every time i start XP. It ssays "CD recording
software will cause window to become unstable. Windows has prevented these
drivers from loading. click here for details". The details window tells you
to go to the Roxio site, and there is no help there. I just want to get rid
of this reminder everytime i boot up. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Michael Stevens

Jan 8, 2003, 4:04:16 AM1/8/03

"Sean G." <dontb...@dontwantnospam.com> wrote in message

Try this, first uninstall Version 4 completely from you system. Then
download the latest update for version 4 from Roxio, then do a custom
install without installing Take Two and Direct CD. Do not reboot after
installing, but apply the update and then reboot.
See below for instructions on how to completely uninstall Version 4. If the
custom install does not work, you can use the info below to get rid of it
and then you will need to install either ECDC 5 or another burning
application.

1. Click Start button and select
Setting
then
Control Panel
menu options.

2. Select the
Add/Remove
programs icon.

3. Select and remove all Easy CD Creator programs and remove all shared
files when prompted.

Next Clean Easy CD Creator completely from your system:

1. Go to
Start
then
, look in C:\ (or the drive where your operating system is located) and
search for:
Cdr4vsd.sys
Cdr4dll.dll
Cdral.dll
Cdrtc.dll
2. Rename all those files you can find, changing their extensions to .ROX
(Right click on the file name and choose
rename
)
3. Go to
Start
and then to
My Computer
and select it.
4. Go into your C:\ drive (C:\ is default install drive, compensate
accordingly if you installed in another location)
5. Go into the
Program Files
Folder
6. Look for a
Adaptec
folder and if found delete it
7. Look for a
Direct CD
folder and if found delete it
8. Go into the
Common Files
Folder
9. Look for an
Adaptec
and/or
Adaptec Shared
folder and if found delete them.
10. Go into the
InstallShield
Folder (C:\Program Files\Common File\InstallShield and rename the
Engine
and
IScript
folders to
Engine.ROX
and
Iscript.ROX

WARNING: THE NEXT 6 STEPS INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY
RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING
YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE. WE RECOMMEND
THAT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE EDITING YOUR REGISTRY THAT YOU SKIP
THESE STEPS.

1. Click Start button and select
Run
menu option.
2. Type
regedit
and click OK button.
3. Select Hkey_Current_User/software and remove the following key: Adaptec
4. Select Hkey_Local_Machine/software and remove the following key: Adaptec
5. Exit the registry editor.
6. Perform system restart.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpn...@michaelstevenstech.com

Alex Nichol

Jan 8, 2003, 1:07:47 PM1/8/03
Sean G. wrote:

>I am having trouble with creating CD's with ADaptec's Easy CD Creator 4, and
>my computer is telling me that there is a known compatibilty issue and to
>contact the software provider (www.roxio.com) for resolution.
> I am running Win XP Pro, and originally bought the computer with Me
>installed, bundled with Easy CD creator 4. I was also told that XP has
>native support for CD burning software, but every time I boot up, I am told
>that these drivers will cause stability problems, and that they will not be
>loaded.

You can normally get Easy CD creator 4 to work (but *not* the companion
Direct CD or TakeTwo) by:

Uninstall it as it stands

Get the upgrade from www.roxio.com to take it to version 4.05

Get a registry patch file, cdgone.reg, from
www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip and merge it into the registry
to tidy that up and reboot

Install the version you have - Easy CD Creator *only* - and at the end,
when setup exits, but before rebooting, run the upgrade to 4.05

If it should not work on your particular machine though, cut your losses
and get something else

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)
Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.org