Kindle for PC on XP. Does it work for you?

Micky

Apr 3, 2017, 5:48:29 AM4/3/17
I'm trying to install Kindle for PC on my XP laptop. Do any of you
have that? What happens is first it downloads a bunch of files and
when it reaches 100%, then it says "Please wait while setup is
100%, there is a blink on the screen which is the install spash
screen. It's gone in less than a 20th of a second and that's the end
of the whole process.

One time it got slow in the middle I guess and it was a very pretty,
colorful, darkish little window. This time it was a bigger grey
window with a progress bar with just a little green in it at the
start, and then it closed before I could look at the rest.

One time I had Everywhere running and showing all the files on the
laptop, sorted by date, so any new files would show up (and indeed
they did. New Firefox profile files kept showing up minutes after I'd
done anything with FF.) but even when it was expanding the files, no
new files appeared on the Everywhere screen. How can that be?

Any suggestions?

VanguardLH

Apr 3, 2017, 9:30:56 AM4/3/17
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp

The boobs can't even be bothered to identify under which versions of
Windows their software is supported.

I had to go hunting their their Help on the chance that maybe searching
on "kindle windows" would bring up a related article (and not a bunch of
forum links which so many sites think qualify as help). I found:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201245960&qid=1491225657&sr=1-1

That does NOT list Windows XP as supported. What is says is, "The
latest version of the Kindle for PC app can be used on any computer
running Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10 in Desktop Mode."

They note that versions 1.14, and below, are no longer supported and
mention using their "Kindle Cloud Reader" service which is at
https://read.amazon.com/ (you need an account). That probably means you
would have to upload the doc file so you can use their cloud reader.

Have you looked in Event Viewer at the time of the truncated
installation to see if any events were logged? There might be something
there about the failed installation. You would think that an installer
would abort early when it detects an OS that it does not support. The
above help article notes:

Additionally, if you are running Windows XP, you will be able to use
only up to Windows for PC 1.16.0.

Well, what version of Kindle are you trying to install on Windows XP?
Also, to get the installer to start fresh means you might have to delete
all remants of any prior failed installs. The installer might try to do
an update instead of a full install if it detects any remnants
misleading into thinking there was an existing installation.

Again, the boobs cannot be bothered with giving you a list of supported
or even discontinued versions of Kindle for PC. You have to do an
online search on "kindle for pc 1.16" to find the old version that runs
on Windows XP. I did that and found one at:

http://filehippo.com/download_kindle_for_pc/tech/67858/

Paul

Apr 3, 2017, 10:19:04 AM4/3/17
If files are not stored on a storage device, they can
always be kept in RAM somewhere. I've seen one installer
"hide" in some way like that, while I was unpacking
it in WINE. The average installer doesn't go to that
much trouble, and unpacks in a TEMP somewhere.

Generally, such techniques are not favored, because of
the danger the user could be on a low-RAM system.

For example, you could set up a Win10 Virtual Machine,
dial down the RAM setting to 256MB, then run the Kindle
installer... and see what happens :-)

Installers can be *very* clever. I had one installer
that can

1) Sense when it is inside a VM. It will not install
in a virtual machine environment. The software will
only install on a regular OS installation.

2) Sense that WINE in Linux is being used to unpack it.

The developer in that case, put more effort into the
installer, than the actual software. In a test, the
actual software he was installing, it ran at 100%
for 12 hours... and did nothing. A victory of some sort.
I won't be switching from "trial" to "buy" on that product,
as it's already removed.

So there are some developers out there, who I will
be awarding a tiny tiny trophy.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PF9BOyHL2xY/TbBZNdJ0moI/AAAAAAAAAts/bD-UDe-mkyc/s640/P1070966.jpg

Paul

VanguardLH

Apr 3, 2017, 10:56:28 AM4/3/17
There are many ways for a process to detect that it is running inside a
virtual environment. One of the easiest is to detect which CPU is
reported. The detections methods can progress to even detecting timing
differences (elapsed time per CPU cycles over several operations).

https://weblogs.asp.net/jongalloway/Can-Operating-Systems-tell-if-they_2700_re-running-in-a-Virtual-Machine_3F00_

There is a wealth of information out there on how to detect if a process
is running virtualized.

Micky

Apr 3, 2017, 6:33:44 PM4/3/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 10:18:57 -0400, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>Micky wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Kindle for PC on my XP laptop. Do any of you
>> have that? What happens is first it downloads a bunch of files and
>> when it reaches 100%, then it says "Please wait while setup is
>> 100%, there is a blink on the screen which is the install spash
>> screen. It's gone in less than a 20th of a second and that's the end
>> of the whole process.
>>
>> One time it got slow in the middle I guess and it was a very pretty,
>> colorful, darkish little window. This time it was a bigger grey
>> window with a progress bar with just a little green in it at the
>> start, and then it closed before I could look at the rest.
>>
>> One time I had Everywhere running and showing all the files on the
>> laptop, sorted by date, so any new files would show up (and indeed
>> they did. New Firefox profile files kept showing up minutes after I'd
>> done anything with FF.) but even when it was expanding the files, no
>> new files appeared on the Everywhere screen. How can that be?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>If files are not stored on a storage device, they can
>always be kept in RAM somewhere. I've seen one installer
>"hide" in some way like that, while I was unpacking
>it in WINE.

That makes sense. Especially since this netbook has only 1 gig of
RAM. I already tried to install the program first thing, before
starting other programs, when I'd have as much RAM etc. as possible
available. I don't know what "etc." refers to but I didn't try to
fully form my reasons for my plan; I just followed procedure.

I'll try harder next time to have even less running. I'll use Task
Manager to stop everything I don't think matters.

But before that, it occurred to me that if they're going to unpack to
RAM, then surely they gave an option to unpack to the HDD, for people
like me, for debugging, etc.

So I opened a cmd window and ran the install program with /? hoping
it would explain options, but it ignored /? and ran as normal,
blinking to an end as usual. Is there, perhaps, a standard
option/switch to get a program to use/unpack to HDD files instead of
RAM that I could try.

If worst comes to worst, I'll wait until I get home, where my 4GB box
is scheduled to go up to 8GB, but this one kindle book I'm trying to
read does relate somewhat to my travels, so I was trying to read it
before I went home.

>The average installer doesn't go to that
>much trouble, and unpacks in a TEMP somewhere.
>
>Generally, such techniques are not favored, because of
>the danger the user could be on a low-RAM system.

Exactly.

>For example, you could set up a Win10 Virtual Machine,
>dial down the RAM setting to 256MB, then run the Kindle
>installer... and see what happens :-)

Some day I will have to try the VM thing. Haven't done it yet.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 3, 2017, 6:55:26 PM4/3/17
In message <21j5ec18hcrfk0ddj...@4ax.com>, Micky
<mis...@bigfoot.com> writes:
[]
>So I opened a cmd window and ran the install program with /? hoping
>it would explain options, but it ignored /? and ran as normal,
>blinking to an end as usual. Is there, perhaps, a standard
>option/switch to get a program to use/unpack to HDD files instead of
>RAM that I could try.
[]
Well, not standard as such, but depending on how the installer was put
together: _some_ self-extracting archives are just a .zip (or other
compression format) with a self-installer tagged on (and a link to which
file to run after unzipping). As such, they can be opened with some of
the common unpackers - 7zip, WinZip, and so on. Try opening it with some
of those. (You might have to use File, Open from within the [un]zipper
software, and perhaps changing the filetype to *.* rather than *.zip or
whatever.)

I _suspect_ yours isn't that sort, though.

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.

Paul

Apr 3, 2017, 7:10:46 PM4/3/17
Micky wrote:

> So I opened a cmd window and ran the install program with /? hoping
> it would explain options, but it ignored /? and ran as normal,
> blinking to an end as usual. Is there, perhaps, a standard
> option/switch to get a program to use/unpack to HDD files instead of
> RAM that I could try.

Some Intel installers support separate commands,
with the intention of supporting IT department
automated deployment.

But for other stuff, you should not expect any help
at all. "Their program - their rules". Nothing says
a command line invocation has to do anything more than
start the GUI of the thing running.

Good programming practice is to respond to /? in some
way. But that quaint notion is just for hobby programmers,
not for "professionals" :-) Just like professionals
don't like to document or add comments to source code.
"The source is your document" is what they will tell you.

Paul

VanguardLH

Apr 4, 2017, 1:07:07 AM4/4/17
You keep saying "Kindle for PC" and speaking about the software as a
generality as though there is only one version of that software and it
has never changed since introduced. You have never mentioned which
*VERSION* of that software you are attempting to install. It DOES make
a difference (see my other reply).

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 4, 2017, 6:28:50 AM4/4/17
Sorry, no I just have a epub reader; SumatraPDF copes with that format.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Micky

Apr 5, 2017, 1:26:33 PM4/5/17
It only offered me what I guess is the latest version, 1.20.47037.

I tried closing a few processes running right after startup,
especially ones that were using more than 10Megs of RAM, but it failed
in the same way.

And one website suggested two alternative programs, including
koolbits. I tried that and it wanted Adobe Air to be installed first.
I looked for that and didn't see anything explicitly saying it would
work in XP, so I'll wait until I'm home and use win10. I wanted to
read one chapter of this thing right away, but since it has to wait,
it can wait.

Thanks and thanks all.

Micky

Apr 5, 2017, 1:26:36 PM4/5/17
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 23:54:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JP...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <21j5ec18hcrfk0ddj...@4ax.com>, Micky
><mis...@bigfoot.com> writes:
>[]
>>So I opened a cmd window and ran the install program with /? hoping
>>it would explain options, but it ignored /? and ran as normal,
>>blinking to an end as usual. Is there, perhaps, a standard
>>option/switch to get a program to use/unpack to HDD files instead of
>>RAM that I could try.
>[]
>Well, not standard as such, but depending on how the installer was put
>together: _some_ self-extracting archives are just a .zip (or other
>compression format) with a self-installer tagged on (and a link to which
>file to run after unzipping). As such, they can be opened with some of
>the common unpackers - 7zip, WinZip, and so on. Try opening it with some
>of those. (You might have to use File, Open from within the [un]zipper
>software, and perhaps changing the filetype to *.* rather than *.zip or
>whatever.)
>
>I _suspect_ yours isn't that sort, though.

I tried some of the above and got a "format error" or something
similar. But thanks for the idea.

Micky

Apr 5, 2017, 1:26:37 PM4/5/17
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:10:44 -0400, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>Micky wrote:
>
>> So I opened a cmd window and ran the install program with /? hoping
>> it would explain options, but it ignored /? and ran as normal,
>> blinking to an end as usual. Is there, perhaps, a standard
>> option/switch to get a program to use/unpack to HDD files instead of
>> RAM that I could try.
>
>Some Intel installers support separate commands,
>with the intention of supporting IT department
>automated deployment.
>
>But for other stuff, you should not expect any help
>at all. "Their program - their rules". Nothing says
>a command line invocation has to do anything more than
>start the GUI of the thing running.
>
>Good programming practice is to respond to /? in some
>way. But that quaint notion is just for hobby programmers,
>not for "professionals" :-)

LOL.

> Just like professionals
>don't like to document or add comments to source code.
>"The source is your document" is what they will tell you.

When I was working, they had me fill out forms for each program, and
looking at other people's earlier forms, they looked like they gave
the barest of help. But my inline comments could go on for 2 or 3
paragraphs in more than one place, if it wasnt' obvious. I havent'
gotten any call-backs, but that might be because my longest employer
is out of business now. I hope it wasn't my coding that drove them
to bankruptcy.

> Paul

VanguardLH

Apr 5, 2017, 3:14:01 PM4/5/17
Micky <mis...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> You keep saying "Kindle for PC" and speaking about the software as a
>> generality as though there is only one version of that software and
>> it has never changed since introduced. You have never mentioned
>> which *VERSION* of that software you are attempting to install. It
>> DOES make a difference (see my other reply).
>
> It only offered me what I guess is the latest version, 1.20.47037.

That does not support Windows XP. I already mentioned where they said
what is the latest version for Windows XP. Look at my first reply on
where to find an old version that does support Windows XP. Then try
THAT one (but I suggest doing remnant cleanup of the failed installs
before attempting to install the old version).

Micky

Apr 7, 2017, 3:59:04 AM4/7/17
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 14:13:57 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Micky <mis...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> You keep saying "Kindle for PC" and speaking about the software as a
>>> generality as though there is only one version of that software and
>>> it has never changed since introduced. You have never mentioned
>>> which *VERSION* of that software you are attempting to install. It
>>> DOES make a difference (see my other reply).
>>
>> It only offered me what I guess is the latest version, 1.20.47037.
>
>That does not support Windows XP.

It would be nice if it had said that, at least after I started to
install it.

> I already mentioned where they said
>what is the latest version for Windows XP. Look at my first reply on

I did look for other versions, and XP was one of my search terms, and
sometimes independent file downloading sites said they had it, but
then when I clicked, it sent me back to the Kindle site that had only
the most recent.

>where to find an old version that does support Windows XP. Then try
>THAT one (but I suggest doing remnant cleanup of the failed installs
>before attempting to install the old version).

But I tried again just now and found version 1,15,43061.
Unfoturnately it insisted on changing my home page and my search
engine to Yahoo, but it said I could uninstall the add-on that did
that, so I let it. The older version installed and worked though it
crashed 3 times before I saw everything I was looking for. But on
the 4th try I got it all and maybe I'll read the rest of the book when
I get home, have more time , windows 10, and a bigger mointor.

Thanks for the encouragement.

VanguardLH

Apr 7, 2017, 4:24:20 AM4/7/17
The link I gave in my first reply was for Kindle for PC 1.16.0 Build
44025 which Amazon says is the last version to support Windows XP.

Micky

Apr 7, 2017, 4:28:53 AM4/7/17
It didn't work that way for me.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp gave the same page I'd been
to and that gave the most recent version, that I'd already tried.

Which was v.1.20.47037, same as before. Computers are one of the
few areas where doign something a second time gets a different result.

VanguardLH

Apr 7, 2017, 4:58:08 PM4/7/17
You didn't bother to read my first post; else, you would've noticed the
link at the *end*.

Micky

Apr 7, 2017, 6:32:12 PM4/7/17
Oh that end! JKidding. You're right. I don't know how I missed
that. Except something about this netbook/monitor combination put in
an extra blank line that wasn't really there (and which disappears if
I scroll up a line), and I guess I thought I was at the end of the
post, though I don't normally assume that.

Thanks again.