Why a Genuine Advantage Notification (GAN) from an Install of an OEM XP Pro?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 12:20:18 AM11/29/09
to
The way I understand the GAN is that it means the XP Pro install may
somehow not registered with MS. That seems a bit surprising. I bought it
from Newegg. I would have thought these distributions are OK by MS.
Should I be concerned?

Shenan Stanley

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 1:51:33 AM11/29/09
to

You didn't really give much to go on.

OEM's are supported by those who installed it - however.

Clean up and then come back with more information.
Not sure how - read on...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure character-for-character
copying.
;-)

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you hopefully alrwady have SP3 - if not - not now.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
if you wish. You may be rebooting if they find something they cannot
get rid of otherwise.

Download and run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Reboot.

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Still getting the WGA notification?

Visit:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Click on "Start Diagnostics".

Restart when done.

Better? If not...

Create a (no cost) WGA support request:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Do you have something else installed - like Microsoft Office?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


VanguardLH

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 2:17:19 AM11/29/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:

Well, did you authorize the validation of your OEM version during its
install? That it is an OEM version doesn't preclude the necessity of
validating it.

Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate Windows
(or run "msoobe.exe /A")

Does it say that your instance of Windows XP has already been activated?

Mark Adams

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 10:47:01 AM11/29/09
to

"W. eWatson" wrote:

> .
>

The way you avoid WGA and WGAN is to never let them install in the first
place. If Automatic Updates is set to "automatically download and install
updates" that's what you get.

To avoid this, clean install XP, install the latest Service Pack and set
Automatic Updates to "Notify you but do not download or install". When you
are offered updates, uncheck the box of any update related to WGA. Custom
install the updates and mark the box that you don't want to be notified of
that update again, and you won't.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 12:29:22 PM11/29/09
to
Let's back up. I installed the OEM version about a week ago, and began
populating the PC with several pieces of software over the next few
days, and using some of them. Originally, I gave a key. I saw nothing
about needing to authorize anything during the install.

A few days before my post, I a NAG window appeared and asked me if I
wanted to finish the install. Interesting that it took so long to ask
this. I replied yes. It couldn't confirm the authorization, so asked me
if I wanted to try two other ways of doing this. At that point, I
stopped, and asked myself what is this all about. That's when I posted.

I guess the question I have in my mind is should I continue? I am not at
all excited about repeating all the work I've done so far.

It's a bit difficult to transfer information between the OEM installed
XP PC and this one. I have not yet, nor do I really intend to, install a
mailer on it. There is no printer. All I have is a thumb drive to move
messages back and forth. I guess I could use my Yahoo mail to attach
some of the info that's been requested above. However, that will take me
off the NG. I do have a browser on that machine, so maybe I can get to
the NGs that way from Google. I think they now "own" them all.

Shenan Stanley

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 1:38:51 PM11/29/09
to

You want to activate the copy.

If it will not do it over the Internet - you should do so over the phone.
Otherwise - this copy will be disabled shortly. All your work will be for
nothing unless you activate.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 2:26:38 PM11/29/09
to
Where do I call to do this?

Shenan Stanley

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 2:40:37 PM11/29/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> Where do I call to do this?

I'll answer by quoting another poster...

VanguardLH wrote:
> Well, did you authorize the validation of your OEM version during
> its install? That it is an OEM version doesn't preclude the
> necessity of validating it.
>
> Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate
> Windows (or run "msoobe.exe /A")
>
> Does it say that your instance of Windows XP has already been
> activated?

The only mistake(s) I see there is the use of the word "authorize" and
"validate" instead of "activate". The method to activate windows is the
same (two ways given) and when you run the activation - it will present you
with a choice - once of which should be "Activate by Telephone".

This OEM copy you got from NewEgg - if this activation thing does not work
(nor does the other advice you have gotten) - maybe you should call NewEgg?

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 3:19:21 PM11/29/09
to
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> Where do I call to do this?
>
> I'll answer by quoting another poster...
>
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Well, did you authorize the validation of your OEM version during
>> its install? That it is an OEM version doesn't preclude the
>> necessity of validating it.
>>
>> Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate
>> Windows (or run "msoobe.exe /A")
>>
>> Does it say that your instance of Windows XP has already been
>> activated?
>
> The only mistake(s) I see there is the use of the word "authorize" and
> "validate" instead of "activate". The method to activate windows is the
> same (two ways given) and when you run the activation - it will present you
> with a choice - once of which should be "Activate by Telephone".
>
> This OEM copy you got from NewEgg - if this activation thing does not work
> (nor does the other advice you have gotten) - maybe you should call NewEgg?
>
I continued the NAG trail, and finally got to Start-Programs..., and
got to an agent. After 10 minutes or more of rattling around, they said
they couldn't help me with an OEM version. It sounds like I should call
NewEgg tomorrow. I don't recall getting any identifier from them. I
think they open Monday.

Shenan Stanley

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 3:26:14 PM11/29/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> I continued the NAG trail, and finally got to Start-Programs...,
> and got to an agent. After 10 minutes or more of rattling around,
> they said they couldn't help me with an OEM version. It sounds like
> I should call NewEgg tomorrow. I don't recall getting any
> identifier from them. I think they open Monday.

They do. 5:30AM Pacific Time.
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab

As long as you used the Product Key that came with the NewEgg Windows XP
CD - if it fails to Activate - they should have to fix it for you (if this
is a new purchase.)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 3:37:16 PM11/29/09
to
WGAN (KB905474) is an optional update. You do NOT need to install it or
updates of it, period.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 29, 2009, 8:28:21 PM11/29/09
to
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> I continued the NAG trail, and finally got to Start-Programs...,
>> and got to an agent. After 10 minutes or more of rattling around,
>> they said they couldn't help me with an OEM version. It sounds like
>> I should call NewEgg tomorrow. I don't recall getting any
>> identifier from them. I think they open Monday.
>
> They do. 5:30AM Pacific Time.
> http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab
>
> As long as you used the Product Key that came with the NewEgg Windows XP
> CD - if it fails to Activate - they should have to fix it for you (if this
> is a new purchase.)
>
10 days old. I certainly hope they do. This certainly has never happened
to me before.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 5:48:32 AM11/30/09
to
I think you need to look at the major part of the thread. I have no
idea what WGAN is. Later this morning I'll call NewEgg.

Daave

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 9:00:08 AM11/30/09
to

WGAN is what you seem to be referring to: Windows Genuine Advantage
Notification.

PA Bear seems to think (and he very well may be correct) that you are
referring to Windows update KB905474. When running Automatic Updates (or
perhaps by visiting the Windows Update site), it sounds like you
installed this particular update, which checks to see if you are running
a valid version of Windows. Is this correct?

For clarfication, what is the make and model of your PC? Did it not come
with Windows XP reinstalled? (I ask because you apparently purchased a
generic OEM copy of Windows XP from New Egg.)


PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 11:27:57 AM11/30/09
to
What Daave said; cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

If you're referring to the WGA-related ActiveX Control that MUST be
installed in order to use Windows Update website, it is NOT called "Genuine
Advantage Notification (GAN)."

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 10:07:20 PM11/30/09
to
I can report virtually no progress on this. I contacted NewEgg and they
seemed confused by it, and sent a request to someone in their org,
presumably to clear it up. I gave the product key and 3 other codes on
the tag on the CD package. No response yet.

A really screwy thing occurred later in the day. I got a call from India
saying whomever they were had found viruses in my region of the world
and wanted to help me remove them. I think you might know what my
response was. It was quick. I can just see them as being so interested
in the millions of people in Calif they they want to give everyone here
a call. Gee, I feel honored. Yikes.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 10:12:35 PM11/30/09
to
I built the PC myself with an ABIT motherboard, and installed W2K on it.
As described above, I recently installed an OEM of XP on it. Yes, I
think WGAN. I don't recall requesting an update of any kind. It's
possible, as I think I mentioned above, that I didn't complete the
install. When I decided to continue with the WGAN window, I found it
wanted me to complete the install. Somehow I got steered to calling
Windows, and they could not verify my key. I called the OEM dealer
today. All this pretty much said above. Next to PA Bear's post below this.

W. eWatson

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 10:16:15 PM11/30/09
to
It's quite possible that I copied something down incorrectly, but GAN
was plastered across the window screen. The PC is 100' away from where I
am, and no mail facility--I don't need it on that machine. So I get to
scribble down notes, and bring them into the house. As far as I know, I
was minding my own business when this occurred. See my post moments
above this one. I mention an incomplete install.

The fact remains Windows techs could not ID the product key.

Daave

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 10:21:53 PM11/30/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>> W. eWatson wrote:
>>>> I continued the NAG trail, and finally got to Start-Programs...,
>>>> and got to an agent. After 10 minutes or more of rattling around,
>>>> they said they couldn't help me with an OEM version. It sounds like
>>>> I should call NewEgg tomorrow. I don't recall getting any
>>>> identifier from them. I think they open Monday.
>>>
>>> They do. 5:30AM Pacific Time.
>>> http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab
>>>
>>> As long as you used the Product Key that came with the NewEgg
>>> Windows XP CD - if it fails to Activate - they should have to fix
>>> it for you (if this is a new purchase.)
>>>
>> 10 days old. I certainly hope they do. This certainly has never
>> happened to me before.

> I can report virtually no progress on this. I contacted NewEgg and
> they seemed confused by it, and sent a request to someone in their
> org, presumably to clear it up. I gave the product key and 3 other
> codes on the tag on the CD package. No response yet.

This is not a New Egg issue (thus their "confusion").

You never said whether or not you tired VanguardLH's suggestion (which
was repeated by Shenan):

Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate
Windows

What do you see after you do this?


Daave

unread,
Nov 30, 2009, 10:50:22 PM11/30/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> Let's back up. I installed the OEM version about a week ago, and began
> populating the PC with several pieces of software over the next few
> days, and using some of them. Originally, I gave a key. I saw nothing
> about needing to authorize anything during the install.

So, when you saw the screen that said "Let's activate Windows," did you
or did you not activate at that time? (To avoid terminology confusion,
please use "activate" instead of "authorize.")

BTW, the screen would have looked something like this:

http://z.about.com/d/pcsupport/1/0/q/6/-/-/change-xp-product-key-10.jpg

> A few days before my post, I a NAG window appeared and asked me if I
> wanted to finish the install.

So, I'm guessing you didn't activate.

This can be confirmed by the method already suggested:

Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate
Windows

What do you see after you do this?

> Interesting that it took so long to ask this.

If (during installation) you had chosen the option "No, remind me to
activate Windows every few days," it is normal behavior.

> I replied yes. It couldn't confirm the authorization, so asked
> me if I wanted to try two other ways of doing this.

Was your PC not online? That would be the most probable explanation. Was
one of the other ways telephone activation?

Although it is preferable to activate online, telephone activation
should only take a few minutes. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4992225_activate-windows-xp.html

(Ignore his mistake in the beginning about only Retail copies needing to
be activated. He was probably referring to royalty OEMs such as Dell
that use a pre-activation scheme. Generic OEM copies also need to be
activated!)

If you wind up needing to do telpehone activation, follow all the
instructions. It might be necessary to explain to them what has happened
so far. But they should give you a long code that you will need to
enter. But that should do it for you.


W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 7:19:50 AM12/1/09
to
Here's what he said.
-------------------

Well, did you authorize the validation of your OEM version during its
install? That it is an OEM version doesn't preclude the necessity of
validating it
Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate Windows
(or run "msoobe.exe /A")
-------------------
Authorize, validate, activate. Confused me. Possibly I missed the run,
but it did give me a choice. Again MS techs could not validate my
product key.

However, I did try the example you show above, and that's when I ended
up calling MS. I believe I stated that in the last day or so.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 7:24:36 AM12/1/09
to
I think I've now mentioned a few times that I called MS to activate it,
and they found the key invalid. Further, I've stated 2 or 3 times that
for some reason I did not complete the install. It was only when the
WNAG (NAG?) appeared for some reason, and I followed it along that I
discovered I hadn't finished. The window allowed me finish, and
eventually I called MS. Yes, they gave me the long code, and it didn't
work.

Daave

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 9:41:18 AM12/1/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> Here's what he said.
> -------------------
> Well, did you authorize the validation of your OEM version during its
> install? That it is an OEM version doesn't preclude the necessity of
> validating it
> Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Activate
> Windows (or run "msoobe.exe /A")
> -------------------
> Authorize, validate, activate. Confused me. Possibly I missed the run,
> but it did give me a choice. Again MS techs could not validate my
> product key.
>
> However, I did try the example you show above, and that's when I ended
> up calling MS. I believe I stated that in the last day or so.

So, when you tried the example above, what did you see in the window?
You never definitively stated what it was (unless I missed something). I
am asking because for all we know, your installation has already been
activated! If not, that's fine; you can try again via the Internet. And
if that doesn't work, *then* try the telephone activation.

This next part is VERY important:

You are *not* supposed to give the MS person your Product Key when you
activate by telephone. The Product Key is what you enter via the
keyboard. If you choose to activate over the telephone, Setup gives you
*another* code, and *that* is what you need to give the MS person. For
more information:

http://www.it-adventures.org/material/WindowsXPTelephoneActivation.pdf

Note Steps 4 and 6!!!!


PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 6:16:16 PM12/1/09
to
Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on the Validate
Windows and/or Validate Office button then restart your computer.

If you weren't able to Validate, proceed as follows:

1. Download this diagnostic tool, saving it to your desktop:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

=> WinXP: Double-click on the executable to run the tool.

=> Vista & Win7: Right-click on the executable and select Run as
Administrator to run the tool.

2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or Office tab as
appropriate and then click on Copy to Clipboard.

NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the contents of your
clipboard into it & save for future reference.

3. Begin a new post in the appropriate Microsoft Genine Advantage forum and
paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed post:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine

4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an
appropriate solution.


W. eWatson wrote:
<snip>

Daave

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 6:26:01 PM12/1/09
to

That's a lot of characters to enter (it's a very long code!), and there
is a very strong chance you entered it incorrectly. I would try it again
(including the phone call if necessary).


KEVIN JOHN PANZKE

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 9:01:32 PM12/1/09
to

Re-Format Your Computer And Install Open Source Linux Ubuntu 9.10 Release To
Web, Open Source Linux Ubuntu 8.04.3 Long Term Support Release To Web, And/Or
Open Source Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Long Term Support Alpha 1 (Available 10/10/2009
@ http://cdimage.ubuntu.com Some Time During The Day Most Likely U.S.A. Pacific
Standard Time). With Ubuntu, Your Microsoft Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage
Headaches Will Be All Gone!

KEVIN JOHN PANZKE

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 9:34:34 PM12/1/09
to

Your Other Choice Is 2 Get Rid Of XP And Get Windows 7 (If You Don't Want Linux)!
Windows 7 Does NOT YET Push WGA As An Automaic Update (Although It Probably
Will Eventually Once It Becomes More Popular With Home Users And Corporations
(My Mom's Place Of Work Still Runs XP Professional SP3)!

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 12:00:34 PM12/4/09
to
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
OK, I'm back after a 3 day trip. I'll do the above this morning.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 12:02:00 PM12/4/09
to
Ho, ho. Sorry I used Linux years ago for development purposes, and liked
it, but I'll stick with Win now.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 12:03:34 PM12/4/09
to
Sorry, again. This is out of the question. XP will be fine. The PC I'm
asking about is a dedicated to a specific task. I'm upgrading all my
other machines to Win 7.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 4:37:53 PM12/4/09
to
Well, I was not able to follow exactly above. At some point I veered off
to a Validate button and was then confronted with the possibility of
paying $149 for something. I did get the diag tool, and the resulting
file. I signed up over on Live MS, and am trying to access the site to
show confirmation of my e-mail address. I get rejected by a msg. I'll
come back to this a bit later.

"There's a temporary problem

There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you
continue to get this message, try again later."

I do seem to have gotten logged in.

W. eWatson

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 6:56:04 PM12/4/09
to
W. eWatson wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on the
>>> Validate Windows and/or Validate Office button then restart your
>>> computer.
...

>>> 2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or Office tab as
>>> appropriate and then click on Copy to Clipboard.
>>>
>>> NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the contents of
>>> your clipboard into it & save for future reference.
>>>
>>> 3. Begin a new post in the appropriate Microsoft Genine Advantage
>>> forum and paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed
>>> post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/genuine
>>>
>>> 4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend
>>> an appropriate solution.
>>>
>>>
>>> W. eWatson wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>> The fact remains Windows techs could not ID the product key.
>>>
>> OK, I'm back after a 3 day trip. I'll do the above this morning.
> Well, I was not able to follow exactly above. At some point I veered off
> to a Validate button and was then confronted with the possibility of
> paying $149 for something. I did get the diag tool, and the resulting
> file. I signed up over on Live MS, and am trying to access the site to
> show confirmation of my e-mail address. I get rejected by a msg. I'll
> come back to this a bit later.
>
> "There's a temporary problem
>
> There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you
> continue to get this message, try again later."
>
> I do seem to have gotten logged in.

Well, I'm completely baffled what this temporary problem is and what to
do next. I am signed in and I can move about to things like About, Mail,
Photos, Profile, but where in the world are the aforementioned Forums
supposed to be?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 4, 2009, 10:16:05 PM12/4/09
to
All http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US forums are working fine for me
right now.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

unread,
Dec 5, 2009, 3:11:05 AM12/5/09
to

milt

unread,
Dec 8, 2009, 12:06:23 PM12/8/09
to

Just ignore that troll, he is not here to help anybody.

smlunatick

unread,
Dec 8, 2009, 12:22:38 PM12/8/09
to
On Nov 29, 5:20 am, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:
> The way I understand the GAN is that it means the XP Pro install may
> somehow not registered with MS. That seems a bit surprising. I bought it
> from Newegg. I would have thought these distributions are OK by MS.
> Should I be concerned?

With this long thread going nowhere, here is another reply:

Genuine Advantage Notification is required for both the Retail AND OEM
version. This is a means for Microsoft to control the "pirated"
copies access to enhanced downloads for XP. The only difference
between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM versions do not come
with direct support from Microsoft. Also, OEM versions can only
normally be "activated" via the Internet the "first" time.

R. McCarty

unread,
Dec 8, 2009, 12:30:26 PM12/8/09
to
Genuine Advantage "NOTIFICATION" is an optional component.

It is not the same thing as the similarly name "Validation Tool" which
is required for access to Microsoft Updates,....

"smlunatick" <yve...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:09ee0b5b-7469-4e55...@d10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

C

unread,
Dec 8, 2009, 12:44:06 PM12/8/09
to
smlunatick wrote:
> On Nov 29, 5:20 am, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> The way I understand the GAN is that it means the XP Pro install may
>> somehow not registered with MS. That seems a bit surprising. I bought it
>> from Newegg. I would have thought these distributions are OK by MS.
>> Should I be concerned?
>
> With this long thread going nowhere, here is another reply:
>
> Genuine Advantage Notification is required for both the Retail AND OEM
> version.

False.

> This is a means for Microsoft to control the "pirated"
> copies access to enhanced downloads for XP.

False.

> The only difference
> between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM versions do not come
> with direct support from Microsoft.

Hey, hey, hey, this one's true!

> Also, OEM versions can only
> normally be "activated" via the Internet the "first" time.

False.

Where did you get this erroneous information?

--
C

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages