Mouse

Recen

Nov 17, 2021, 3:13:06 PM11/17/21
Win XP Pro

Control Panel Mouse does not show mouse side button so how do I get the
magnifier attached to the side button.

My vision is worsening and I need the magnifier.

Have MS Notebook Optical 3000 Mouse.

Thanks !

VanguardLH

Nov 17, 2021, 3:29:55 PM11/17/21
You'll need to install the ancilliary software that came with the mouse,
or download from their web site, to add functionality beyond the
standard 3-button wheel mouse. There are some standard button codes in
the registry, but they won't cover the extra buttons which is why you
need software to fully support all functions of specialty mice.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/mouse-and-keyboard-center-download-f5b10905-7887-eedb-2f1c-d0737a36a3b2

However, if the software doesn't support Windows XP, you're stuck with
the standard mouse attributes, or you can see if the software happens to
work on Windows XP. The above web page does not mention Windows version
support. There is a 32-bit version of the mouse software. You said
Windows XP Pro, and that is a 32-bit OS.

Recen

Nov 17, 2021, 3:47:05 PM11/17/21

I already tried that after i sent my initial post.
I downloaded the 32 bit version. Yes I did, 32 bit version.

When I tried to install it, it popped up an error message saying it
could not install because it was not the 32 bit version. WHAT ????

MS screws up again ?

Again MS cares NOT !
If I do not fit their monetary profile, then be gone !

Paul

Nov 17, 2021, 4:58:55 PM11/17/21
On 11/17/2021 3:46 PM, Recen wrote:

> I already tried that after i sent my initial post.
> I downloaded the 32 bit version.  Yes I did, 32 bit version.
>
> When I tried to install it, it popped up an error message saying it could not install because it was not the 32 bit version.  WHAT ????
>
> MS screws up again ?
>
> Again MS cares NOT !
> If I do not fit their monetary profile, then be gone !

Does that mouse have side buttons ?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41XAG2EXH3L._AC_SY450_.jpg

The mouse wheel doesn't look like it tips from side to side.
It has a long axle.

https://www.techrepublic.com/a/hub/i/r/2007/06/16/03597008-c3bd-11e2-bc00-02911874f8c8/resize/0x577/d9427a1d48b611a898b783fbdd9207b1/88664.jpg

You can try ctrl-scrollwheel and see if the zoom happens.
Even the desktop can zoom, but not necessarily every part of it.
Be careful testing at first, to count rotations, in case
you want the mag to go back to normal again.

The magnifier in Accessibility, is likely to be a round
circle of "bigger stuff". And as you move the mouse cursor
around, the circle magnifies whatever you're over the top of.
That's a different function than the scaling the ctrl-mousewheel
does.

Paul

Herbert Kleebauer

Nov 17, 2021, 5:01:22 PM11/17/21
Try:

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

and assign <WIN>+ and <WIN><ESC> to the mouse buttons.

Recen

Nov 17, 2021, 5:15:47 PM11/17/21
MS Notebook Optical Mouse 3000
It is a USB mouse with a left side button, Scroll wheel that depresses only.

The MS dowloaded app says during install that setup.exe is not a 32bit
app. and then the app quits.

If I type magnify at Run, I get a magnifier bar across the top of the
desktop window but that is not easy to work with. I rather have a
magnifier small window that moves with the mouse.

I have it on other PC here.

I cannot find a 32 bit installer and based on MS naming conventions, I
probably never will find it on one of my other laptops.

gobbledygook folder names and file names are a MS favorite. Idiots !

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Nov 17, 2021, 5:24:04 PM11/17/21
On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 at 14:15:41, Recen <Re...@Recen.com> wrote (my
[]
>If I type magnify at Run, I get a magnifier bar across the top of the
>desktop window but that is not easy to work with. I rather have a
>magnifier small window that moves with the mouse.
[]
The magnifier window can be persuaded to be on other than the top of the
screen - it can also be resized and (I think) moved. It's not (to me
anyway) intuitive though, in particular its jumping position.

"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the
law." - Winston Churchill.

VanguardLH

Nov 17, 2021, 7:40:42 PM11/17/21
Recen <Re...@RecentlyOrLately.com> wrote:

> I already tried that after i sent my initial post.
> I downloaded the 32 bit version. Yes I did, 32 bit version.

The filename for the 32-bit download is:

MouseKeyboardCenter_32bit_ENG_14.41.exe

Is that the name of the file you downloaded?

I downloaded that file and used Peazip (7-zip and other zip tools will
work) to look inside the .exe. After drilling down into setup -> files
-> driver -> point32, the files were name point32.*. Looks like the
32-bit version.

Do you have Windows XP 32-bit, or Windows XP 64-bit? The 32-bit version
is Windows XP. The 64-bit version is Windows 2003 Server crippled to a
workstation version, and with the Windows XP desktop GUI.

When you run winver.exe, what does it say? Does it show "5.1", "sp3",
and "Service Pack 3"? Lots of software require you have the latest
service pack for Windows XP.

https://www.fixya.com/uploads/howto/dd21429.jpg

That shows "Windows XP Professional". The absence of "x64" means it is
the 32-bit (normal) version.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/R1ueBD1xvfNxSBPBPhcZj1WH1kph2lRkJOe7p5qzyD5unwHLMpYbkYxIQe691uacXDPeBYe1jq17S5VgeFaTw222_UpU-bQDQW6rXyoHgVlQwAHe

That shows "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" which is the frankenjob
version. What does winver show you?

Paul in Houston TX

Nov 17, 2021, 9:23:08 PM11/17/21
Recen wrote:
> Optical 3000 Mouse

http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/mice/com3000/

"Setup: The installation is quite simple. Just plug in the mouse which
requires USB or PS/2 ports. To use the magnifier or to use the advanced
functionality, you must install the Microsoft IntelliPoint software (see
below).

Microsoft IntelliPoint Software
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=intellipoint

It does not say so but I bet you will also need the drivers which are
also at that website.

If you want to customize your mouse, you will have to install
IntelliPoint 5.3 (about 60 MB), which requires a restart. To customize
your mouse keys, select either "Mouse" for the Control Panel or
"Microsoft Mouse" from the program menu. On the buttons tab you can
click on the different buttons and reassign the keys to a variety of
functions. In this software you can also change your pointers, other
pointer options, view which hardware is connected, change scrolling
options, and view wireless features. The software is easy to use and is
required for advanced functionality of the mouse. "

Shadow

Nov 18, 2021, 12:25:09 PM11/18/21
On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 20:22:53 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
<Pa...@Houston.Texas> wrote:

>Recen wrote:
>> Optical 3000 Mouse
>

>http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/mice/com3000/
>
>"Setup: The installation is quite simple. Just plug in the mouse which
>requires USB or PS/2 ports. To use the magnifier or to use the advanced
>functionality, you must install the Microsoft IntelliPoint software (see
>below).
>
> Microsoft IntelliPoint Software
>https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=intellipoint

<We're sorry, this download is no longer available.>

Then they suggest downgrading XP to Win 10.
LOL

Paul can probably come up with an archive.org link to the
software.
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Paul

Nov 18, 2021, 2:24:11 PM11/18/21
On 11/18/2021 12:25 PM, Shadow wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 20:22:53 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> <Pa...@Houston.Texas> wrote:
>
>> Recen wrote:
>>> Optical 3000 Mouse
>>

>> http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/mice/com3000/
>>
>> "Setup: The installation is quite simple. Just plug in the mouse which
>> requires USB or PS/2 ports. To use the magnifier or to use the advanced
>> functionality, you must install the Microsoft IntelliPoint software (see
>> below).
>>
>> Microsoft IntelliPoint Software
>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=intellipoint
>
> <We're sorry, this download is no longer available.>
>
> Then they suggest downgrading XP to Win 10.
> LOL
>
> Paul can probably come up with an archive.org link to the
> software.
> []'s

Tried it, they don't got it :-)

it's the old Confirmation link scam. Microsoft can block
download archiving, by the usage of the intermediary
Confirmation link thing.

You will need to find a USENET posting with a "final" URL
for the file. In other words, a user goes to Download manager
in the browser, and copies out the URL after the download is
finished. That's your last chance at it.

Paul

Shadow

Nov 18, 2021, 5:50:45 PM11/18/21
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 14:24:07 -0500, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid>
wrote:
Well, I don't have that mouse. Softpedia keeps a pretty decent
archive of old drivers. Maybe the OP will find something that actually
works here:

<https://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-search.php?search_term=Microsoft+IntelliPoint>

HTH
[]'s

Recen

Dec 9, 2021, 10:16:22 AM12/9/21

After a long time away on travel, I was now able to go to softpedia and
after a lot of confusion as to which button to click I finally
downloaded and install version 6.1 and now I have the much needed magnifier.

Thank you !!!

VanguardLH

Dec 9, 2021, 4:11:43 PM12/9/21
Recen <Recently...@RecentlyOrLately.com> wrote:

> After a long time away on travel, I was now able to go to softpedia
> and after a lot of confusion as to which button to click I finally
> downloaded and install version 6.1 and now I have the much needed
> magnifier.

Softpedia pukes a lot of ad shit into their pages, especially those that
had "Download" large green buttons to mislead users into clicking the
wrong button. Softpedia's imdemnfication is they didn't compose the ads
-- but they still SHOW them. They are the pipe through which the ads
are delivered, and they choose to deliver them. Maybe the guy that
leaves a bomb didn't make it, but he still caused your house to blow up.

Once you install an adblocker (I use uBlock Origin), those misleading
ads go away. Same for forums or blogs that interject ads into their
articles: you don't get fooled that the ad is part of the article.