antivirus softwares

1 view

fme008 via WindowsKB.com

Feb 27, 2007, 7:37:47 PM2/27/07
will installing more than 1 antivirus softwares decrease computer performance
and slow down internet?

Uncle Grumpy

Feb 27, 2007, 7:43:29 PM2/27/07
"fme008 via WindowsKB.com" <u31800@uwe> wrote:

>will installing more than 1 antivirus softwares decrease computer performance
>and slow down internet?

Might.

Might not.

For the record... I've been active on the Internet for almost 14 years
now and have rarely used Antivirus software.

I've NEVER had a virus infection. NEVER.

I've also never had a malware problem.

WHY?

Because I'm careful about the websites I visit.

Phisherman

Feb 27, 2007, 7:55:08 PM2/27/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:37:47 GMT, "fme008 via WindowsKB.com"
<u31800@uwe> wrote:

>will installing more than 1 antivirus softwares decrease computer performance
>and slow down internet?

Installing more than one anti-virus will bog your system down and
there is no reason to do this. Get one good anti-virus program and
make sure it is up-to-date with definitions. Also, practice "safe
computing."

Ken Blake, MVP

Feb 27, 2007, 7:56:09 PM2/27/07
fme008 via WindowsKB.com wrote:

> will installing more than 1 antivirus softwares decrease computer
> performance and slow down internet?

Installing them is not the issue. Having two or more running at once is the
issue.

Don't do it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Newbie Coder

Feb 27, 2007, 7:59:39 PM2/27/07
You won't get two virus scanners that are 100% compatible with each other.

I have just watched a Tech Net webcast that slates of McAfee or McCrappy as
I call it that misses rootkits

Many people I know say that Norton slows up the machine considerably, but I
use the corporate version of Symantec Antivirus, which is awesome. I don't
see any performance problems & would never think about running a second
virus scanner whatsoever.

I've been using the Net since 1995 & have been actively involved on an
almost daily basis since 1997 with fighting viruses & I actually get people
to e-mail me viruses so I can find out how they work, report & counteract
them myself

--
Newbie Coder
(It's just a name)

fme008 via WindowsKB.com

Feb 27, 2007, 8:23:55 PM2/27/07
what's the best antivirus right now? i can't find a good one

Uncle Grumpy

Feb 27, 2007, 8:31:57 PM2/27/07
On Feb 27, 6:59 pm, "Newbie Coder" <newbieco...@spammeplease.com>
wrote:

> I've been using the Net since 1995

And you've somehow not learned how to quote the message you're
replying to??

I find that unbelievable.

Rock

Feb 27, 2007, 8:29:20 PM2/27/07
"fme008 via WindowsKB.com" <u31800@uwe> wrote
> will installing more than 1 antivirus softwares decrease computer
> performance
> and slow down internet?

Having more than one AV program installed is not a problem, but only one
should be set to do real time scanning. The other one can be used to do a
system scan from time to time. No one program catches everything. Also
there is much malware out there that is not viral in nature, hence the need
for several non viral anti-malware apps. Again no one program catches
everything.

An AV program, and anti-malware apps are just one part of a defense in
depth. A router with NAT is another worthwhile component of system
security.But as Uncle Grumpy pointed out the user is the most important part
of staying safe. You must practice safe hex.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Newbie Coder

Feb 27, 2007, 8:47:24 PM2/27/07
Grumpy's uncle - LOL

I always clean the message out.

Seems you've been on the net many years less than I have too. Is that
getting your back up so you have to whine about what I do?

The post is obvious from the original OP question.

Newbie Coder

Feb 28, 2007, 5:30:18 AM2/28/07
That was a bit cheesy there Rock. Ever thought of being on stage?

Alias

Feb 28, 2007, 5:59:11 AM2/28/07

Course if you had Linux installed, you would not need to be careful or
worry about which AV to install.

Alias

Noncompliant

Feb 28, 2007, 7:38:59 AM2/28/07
As long as only one of the AVs is actively scanning open files and activity;
and there's no conflicts in operation of both AVs. Remaining AVs can be
used to scan unopen files only. Hard to do nowadays as most are designed to
run in memory and track activity.

--
Noncompliant

"fme008 via WindowsKB.com" <u31800@uwe> wrote in message

Noncompliant

Mar 1, 2007, 7:21:20 AM3/1/07
"Newbie Coder" <newbi...@spammeplease.com> wrote in message

Not always true. A person just subscribing to the newsgroup, or a veteran
subscriber flushing the cached downloaded posts, might not have the OP
downloaded. That is using OE, and using last 1000 posts download option.
--
Noncompliant

Phisherman

Mar 1, 2007, 8:23:51 PM3/1/07
Some years ago I was responsible for the departments AV
protection/removal. I used 6 different AV programs to scan a PC. It
is interesting to see how each of these will label a virus, produce a
false-positive, and take very different times to do a full-machine
scan. Currently I use Avast! and AVG. Before that I used Norton and
McAfee.

Ken Blake, MVP

Mar 1, 2007, 9:00:59 PM3/1/07
fme008 via WindowsKB.com wrote:

> what's the best antivirus right now? i can't find a good one

You'll be hard pressed to find two people to agree on what's best. I'll tell
you my personal favorite (although there are other good choices); it's
Avast!

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Mar 2, 2007, 11:12:34 AM3/2/07

And many newsgroup participants don't keep already-read messages. The result
is that a message from someone who doesn't quote is usually completely
unintelligible.

Quoting enough of what you're replying to to put your reply into context is
both standard netiquette, and also necessary if you want to be understood.